Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 06:28 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times

Advertisements

Speaking of China here's a letter to the editor I recently read in a local paper. It should be an eye opener.

China has been dumping its holdings of U.S. Treasuries as it tries to get out of its bad investments in the dollar. Now they have found a new way to get rid of these holdings. They are exchanging the dollars they hold for pieces of America. They literally have purchased 50 square miles of Idaho, just south of Boise. The planned “self-sustaining city” in Idaho would include manufacturing facilities, warehouses, retail centers and large numbers of homes for Chinese workers.

The strange pairing of Barack Obama and C.L. Butch Otter, Republican governor of Idaho, are excited about the government of China buying this property in Idaho where they plan to set up a “special economic zone” similar to the ones in China. We in turn will give their workers permanent U.S. residency under a program called EB-5.

The same country that has been hacking our government agencies and U.S. businesses to steal our technology is now not only allowed to buy pieces of our country, they are being welcomed and being incented to do it. Now, in addition to continuous spying, they will have access to all the technology in America that businesses have and we will willingly share it for a buck. And it doesn’t stop at Idaho.Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania are being explored.

You have to hand it to the Chinese. They are long-term thinkers, very focused in their strategy and very patient. They bought up oil producing properties all over the world, built a navy to transport the oil and defend their navy against attack as well as their shipping lanes and they’ve extended their domain over adjacent lands through violence and once conquered, they force intermarriage where they destroy the native culture and ethnicity. They are nothing if not thorough.

What I don’t get is the American people and the American government that has promoted the modernization of China for decades and continues to do so despite the obvious intentions of China to do us fiscal harm as they work with the UN and the BRIC (Brazil, India, Russia, China) countries to shunt the dollar to one side and adopt a new world reserve currency.

The United States is fundamentally being transformed from a melting pot, into a tossed salad where Muslims don’t assimilate, Mexicans want the Southwest to be part of Mexico and the Chinese simply buy up the land and move in. This is going to be impossible to manage and we are going to end up eating each other and there will no longer be a “United” in the United States of America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 06:32 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Did anyone read news stories about the rise of Chinese ghost towns?

China's Ghost Cities and Malls - YouTube

Documentary by SBS Australia channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
The fact that Chinese history goes back some 1,000 to 2,000 before Christ should give Americans some pause for thought. The typical American feels they have an old family line if it goes back to 1620 in America. Also, although there may be numerous guns in America for every citizen, remember that the Chinese invented gunpowder. JMO
It's amazing to think about, when our ancestors were running around, living in caves, the Chinese were living in actual houses and had actual governments and were engaged in scientific activities (astronomy, compass, gunpowder, etc.)

Old 08-15-2011, 10:39 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
I dont think so. China is huge both size and population wise. Japan has a moderate population (about half the US) and a very small size.

China's standard of living is well below US and Japan, but it is not a good thing if they continue to grow so rapidly while the US stagnates, like has been the case the last 5 years or so. But China is more or less still a 3rd world country, and its standard of living is lower then places like Brazil, Russia, and Mexico.

But i think the comparisons to Japan make little sense. China is the largest country on earth by far and really has no comparisons to any other country.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:05 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,196,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I dont think so. China is huge both size and population wise. Japan has a moderate population (about half the US) and a very small size.

China's standard of living is well below US and Japan, but it is not a good thing if they continue to grow so rapidly while the US stagnates, like has been the case the last 5 years or so. But China is more or less still a 3rd world country, and its standard of living is lower then places like Brazil, Russia, and Mexico.

But i think the comparisons to Japan make little sense. China is the largest country on earth by far and really has no comparisons to any other country.
India comes close to China in population and maybe size.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:24 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
Furthermore, it's extremely unlikely that China will ever be able to have the enormous market share of the automobile market (just to name one industry) that the Japanese have enjoyed in the USA for 25+ years.

They definitely have plenty of obstacles to overcome.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:26 AM

912 posts, read 1,331,869 times
I don't think it's overblown they have almost all american manufacturing jobs and that most certainly isn't overblown.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
If Demographics is Destiny they have made a colossal blunder. Their one child policy has left them with a wildly unbalanced male/female ratio. This will lead to some interesting consequences as all these "excess" men become elderly without children to support them. Already the rural food producing regions are showing productivity losses due to declining populations. Interesting times ahead.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:35 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
We were scared of Japan in the 80's...is China's Rise Overblown too?

Yes, it is. It is certainly something to be aware of, and we are. However, its nothing hard work cannot solve.

People think economics is a zero sum game. Nonsense. 1 billion people practicing Capitalism rather than Communism means there is that much more business and opportunity. Who is averse to that?

I am old enough to remember Mao and the Gang of Four. Sorry, I will take this China over that one any day.

And as for the military threat, please. China's PLA is pretty formidable when it comes to gunning down unarmed protestors in public squares or Tibetan monks on hunger strikes. But when it comes to real fights, they get their butts kicked. The last victory for the PLA, and they were not yet even the PLA, was when Mao defeated Chiang, who was hoplessly corrupt and inept. But not so inept that he did not create a better China (Taiwan) with a military that could give Beijing a black eye. Oh yea, they did take over Tibet. Sure, real Battle of the Bulge that was.

Does Switzerland worry that France, the USA, and Canada have bigger economies than they? Somehow I kinda doubt it.

China is a great country with unlimited potential. But a threat? Maybe a bit more than Uguguay.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:48 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
I'll go with Venezuela, but I see your point; with Chavez nationalizing everything in sight, adding gold to the list this week, that economy will continue to be a basket case for years to come.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:27 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post

Think about the population size of America when it industrialized and how much it consumed in the process. By the early 1900's you were already looking abroad for more American "interest."

Now think about the size of China.

This is just beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies