Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:35 AM

37,813 posts, read 21,902,721 times

Advertisements

Geez, what the hell have we done to ourselves, when politicians and bureaucrats think they should tax us $1.85 for each mile we drive our cars???

Oregon, for instance, is among several states that are taking a hard look at the idea, reports Paul Eisenstein of the Detroit Bureau. As proposed in the Oregon legislature, drivers could be charged 0.85 cents per mile through 2015, with the figure jumping to 1.85 cents per mile by 2018. The bill, for the moment, appears stalled. Texas and Minnesota are reportedly also taking a look.

More states considering pay-by-the-mile car taxes

Quite the jump, wouldn't you say? If i currently pay $0.40 tax for a gallon of gasoline, and I can drive 20 miles per gallon, compared to $0.85 tax per mile... I don't know all the other particulars to these ideas, but if all other taxes remain the same, this idea will kill interstate commerce and drive up the costs of our day-to-day lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 08:39 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,871,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Geez, what the hell have we done to ourselves, when politicians and bureaucrats think they should tax us $1.85 for each mile we drive our cars???

Oregon, for instance, is among several states that are taking a hard look at the idea, reports Paul Eisenstein of the Detroit Bureau. As proposed in the Oregon legislature, drivers could be charged 0.85 cents per mile through 2015, with the figure jumping to 1.85 cents per mile by 2018. The bill, for the moment, appears stalled. Texas and Minnesota are reportedly also taking a look.

Quite the jump, wouldn't you say? If i currently pay $0.40 tax for a gallon of gasoline, and I can drive 20 miles per gallon, compared to $0.85 tax per mile... I don't know all the other particulars to these ideas, but if all other taxes remain the same, this idea will kill interstate commerce and drive up the costs of our day-to-day lives.
The blood sucking leeches are desparate to find ways to keep the money rolling in. We need to elect Ron Paul and start managing our debt responsibly or this is going to just keep getting worse and worse.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:42 AM

912 posts, read 1,328,231 times
I would just get rid of the car .There are other ways of getting around town.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:50 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,383,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

Do the math again. You are overstating the tax by a factor of 100 because you put the decimal in the wrong place.

But it is still a crappy idea: I don't want the government measuring how much I choose to drive.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:54 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,231,894 times
^Do you want the government to pay for the maintenance of roads? If so, how should they do that? The current method simply doesn't do it effectively.

Do you have a problem with utility companies monitoring your electric usage or water meter?

Bottom line - pay for what you use. You drive a lot? Then you pay more for the maintenance than others who drive less. This is a much better method than a gas tax IMO.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
That works for some folks, I'm sure, but other folks have no choice. some folks

There are lots of folks who finally found a job, and have to drive many miles to and from work, they cannot simply give up their car. These folks either rent and have a lease to fulfill, or own a home, either way, these folks cannot move closer to work and quit driving their car.

Not everyone lives in the North Eastern United states, where owning a car is uncommon. I met lots of people from the NE part of the US, and they never even got a driver's license, much less owned a car. for these people, the charge per mile does not affect them in the least, unless it applies to taxis and big trucks.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:57 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,406,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
Not where I live.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Do the math again. You are overstating the tax by a factor of 100 because you put the decimal in the wrong place.

But it is still a crappy idea: I don't want the government measuring how much I choose to drive.
Where did I do that? I'm guessing my state tax on a gallon of gas is 40 cents, and i can drive 20 miles per gallon. The other numbers are quoted from the article.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:59 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,406,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
^Do you want the government to pay for the maintenance of roads? If so, how should they do that? The current method simply doesn't do it effectively.

Do you have a problem with utility companies monitoring your electric usage or water meter?

Bottom line - pay for what you use. You drive a lot? Then you pay more for the maintenance than others who drive less. This is a much better method than a gas tax IMO.
Yeah right, I drive 500 miles a week back and forth to work. You really think people like me can afford something like this?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:02 AM

9,732 posts, read 9,691,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yeah right, I drive 500 miles a week back and forth to work. You really think people like me can afford something like this?
Sounds like they are looking to force the unwashed masses back into the cities and only the "rich" will be able to afford the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies