Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:56 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,387,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
I agree they are worthless too.
But why should I be forced to pay for other people's children? Why are people having kids they can't afford? Not my responsibility.
The fact of the matter is people have kids they can't afford (which is why I am always agog to hear why the right opposes abortion and contraception) and, generally speaking, those kids are either going to go through the education system now, or the court system later. It's cheaper for everyone if they go through the former and not the later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 10:57 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,408,647 times
The children aren't to blame. It is sad that so many are born into a life that is miserable because one or more parents is addicted to drugs and/or alcohol. There needs to be a way to qualify children for free lunches vs a blanket free lunch program.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:57 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick Start View Post
Republicans are simply evil. They have no compassion for hungry children, but they love their hand outs to big farms.
I'm not a Republican. Thanks for trying though!
My last doctor's visit was $30 co pay, and I have asthma so I have to go. Will you pay my bill for me? If not, you are so cruel letting this asthmatic pay for his own doctor visits

Old 08-16-2011, 10:58 PM

943 posts, read 781,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Obama's America:
Free meals for all Detroit schoolchildren in fall | Detroit Free Press | freep.com (http://www.freep.com/article/20110816/NEWS01/110816004/Free-meals-all-Detroit-schoolchildren-fall - broken link)
The children in Detroit were poor before Obama. In addition, making it free for all students eliminates the stigma and embarrassment children who receive free or reduced lunch. It also eliminates the paper work for the free and reduced lunch program.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:00 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,408,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
The children in Detroit were poor before Obama. In addition, making it free for all students eliminates the stigma and embarrassment children who receive free or reduced lunch. It also eliminates the paper work for the free and reduced lunch program.
It is ridiculous for the children of working parents to receive free lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
The children aren't to blame. It is sad that so many are born into a life that is miserable because one or more parents is addicted to drugs and/or alcohol. There needs to be a way to qualify children for free lunches vs a blanket free lunch program.
Not all or most poor children have drug addicted parents.

3,681 posts, read 6,272,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Obama's America:
Free meals for all Detroit schoolchildren in fall | Detroit Free Press | freep.com (http://www.freep.com/article/20110816/NEWS01/110816004/Free-meals-all-Detroit-schoolchildren-fall - broken link)
Great! Its a pilot program, so we can look forward to soon having it spread to schools all across the country once these kids complete the trial phase and fill out the form reporting that they no longer feel "stigmatized" for eating on our dime because even the kids who don't need the free breakfast, lunch & snacks get them! That's swell. Gotta spend all our country's excess money somewhere!

Old 08-16-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
It is ridiculous for the children of working parents to receive free lunch.
Many working parents are too poor. Would you rather have the children starve or eat little during lunch time??

Old 08-16-2011, 11:03 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
Quote:
When I was in school (80s) we had lunch cards. The kids who had free or reduced lunch had the same cards as those of us who paid full price. We still knew who was poor and who wasn't. Kids aren't that stupid.

I don't think schools should provide free meals. If families have a low enough income to qualify for free or reduced lunch, they also qualify for food stamps. They should be able to use their food stamps to purchase items for lunches and send their child with a packed lunch and snacks.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:04 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,342 times
Quote:
Many working parents are too poor. Would you rather have the children starve or eat little during lunch time??
See this is where it makes NO sense.
If a working family is poor, they are most likely collecting food stamps...

So why aren't they using these food stamps to pack lunches for their kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies