U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 08:11 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,554,376 times

Advertisements

"A California college student is conducting a social experiment where hes trying to get his peers to sign a petition in favor of distributing grade point averages to show how the federal government distributes wealth."

"He said many students on college campuses support high taxes on the rich, but when put into relative terms, cringed at the thought of spreading around their academic wealth."

"In a video posted on Exposingleftists.com, one student said, If I do give GPA points to students that dont deserve it, it isnt fair, I work for what I have.

Read more: College Students In Favor Of Wealth Distribution Are Asked To Pass Their Grade Points To Other Students | FoxNews.com

Thank you to Oliver Darcy, who is conducting this experiment and helping enlighten our young people into the realities of life; something they certainly are not being exposed to in the public school system!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 09:58 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,252,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
"A California college student is conducting a social experiment where hes trying to get his peers to sign a petition in favor of distributing grade point averages to show how the federal government distributes wealth."

"He said many students on college campuses support high taxes on the rich, but when put into relative terms, cringed at the thought of spreading around their academic wealth."

"In a video posted on Exposingleftists.com, one student said, If I do give GPA points to students that dont deserve it, it isnt fair, I work for what I have.

Read more: College Students In Favor Of Wealth Distribution Are Asked To Pass Their Grade Points To Other Students | FoxNews.com

Thank you to Oliver Darcy, who is conducting this experiment and helping enlighten our young people into the realities of life; something they certainly are not being exposed to in the public school system!
I am sure that they aren't exposed to this facts of life truth in many college classes, either. They think they work for their Grades but don't think that tax payers work for their living. I am sure that many of those college kids are purely far left leaners by the time they get there.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:02 PM

12,050 posts, read 11,160,377 times
Yeah, too bad kids don't inherit GPA or are awarded higher GPA's based on social connections. Then this experiement might make sense.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:07 PM

66,574 posts, read 33,860,210 times
The perfect analogy!

This guy needs a Pulitzer Prize!

Old 08-17-2011, 10:53 PM

33,046 posts, read 22,092,919 times
GPA is based more on merit than is wealth. Sheesh.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:24 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,742,933 times
Given that grades aren't the same thing as income, the exercise and discussions around the exercise are the opposite of smart. You can probably find that word for yourself.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:33 AM

6,156 posts, read 4,153,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Given that grades aren't the same thing as income, the exercise and discussions around the exercise are the opposite of smart. You can probably find that word for yourself.
The concept is exactly the same. Redistribution from the earner to the non-earner. It's like one of those "metaphor" things. Get it?

Old 08-18-2011, 04:43 AM

6,156 posts, read 4,153,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Yeah, too bad kids don't inherit GPA or are awarded higher GPA's based on social connections. Then this experiement might make sense.
The vast majority of taxpayers didn't inherit their money. And social connections, money, etc. usually = better education, therefore they have an effect on GPA.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:55 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,092,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
GPA is based more on merit than is wealth. Sheesh.
Are you really trying to say wealth is not based on merit??? Wow!

Old 08-18-2011, 04:55 AM

2,127 posts, read 1,687,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
The concept is exactly the same. Redistribution from the earner to the non-earner. It's like one of those "metaphor" things. Get it?
The metaphor holds only on the most simplistic level, and considering that this is supposed to be a rhetorical argument against progressive taxation, I'd say it warrants additional scrutiny.

Grades are an imaginary designation made by a teacher, wealth represents some kind of actual value. You cannot earn a good grade based on the labor of others. You do not receive additional good grades for have good grades. You cannot hand your grades down to your children. There are many more enormous discrepancies, but I'm sure if I continue, you'll claim that I'm splitting hairs and try to deflect.

Let's think of this another way. We'll do it in a cute metaphorical way so that you can grasp it.

Let's say that every grade represents a strata of society or a standard of living, so that A represents a plush upper-class lifestyle and F represents homelessness. Even at a far more progressive tax structure than we have now, we would not be taxing the A's enough to make them A-'s, much less B's. There is no grade that effectively represents how far above the rest of society American financial elites are. A+++++++++++? I bet if those were the grades students had to deal with, plenty of them would be willing to sacrifice a plus or two.

Last edited by dunks_galore; 08-18-2011 at 05:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies