Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:22 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Dear Mr. President,
Syria is none of our business and we are in no position to judge. We have a host of problems of our own that you and your able staff should be focusing on.
We have massive unemployment and our econmy is a wreck. Your past porkulous spending hasn't helped. Dropping bombs on Lybia hasn't helped your own people. The billions you have wasted to date has not helped.
Tend your own yard before looking to fix someone elses.
Mr. President believe it or not we can't save the Syrian people from themselves. Sir with all do respect learn to mind your own business.
Thank you so much for such a trutful outlook of our problems. That is right, please Mr. President concentrate on our problems here at home, we are in dire striaghts for a solution to a dying economy one of the worse.

Cannot solve the world's problems if these Countries do not want to help themselves. We are a broken economy dear President, please help us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 12:31 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
thumbs up.

couldn't agree more!

i think obama needs to be reminded regularly that he is president of the UNITED STATES, not the world, and most americans would really like it if he would concentrate on the issues facing americans.

ps, once again i apologize to everyone on the forum for EVER supporting hillary clinton. she has certainly turned into an obama toadie.
All politicians are by their very nature "whores" of some kind. She originated the birther question but shut her yap as soon as Obammer dangled the "Secretary of State" plumb in front of her.

Would dearly love to have been a fly on the wall in the Clinton household when they gave that offer it's nanno-seconds consideration before she accepted it. "Hilary; how can we sacrifice our ideals and integrity by accepting his offer"? "Shaddup Bill; you were the first Clinton in the White House, and B/J's notwithstanding, I'm gonna be the last". Hee.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:33 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,578 times
This is not a criticism of Obama per se, but a question pertaining to all our presidents - why do we think we have the right to tell any other leader of another country that they should step down? What if Assad said "Mr. Obama, your country is in shambles and you should step down." I mean, come on! What chutzpah! Mind you, I have no fondness for Assad and I hope something far worse than merely "stepping down" happens to him, but it is no one's place to tell a leader of another country to step down from office. Let the people of those nations handle their own problems. I used to be more in favor of trying to get involved to save or help innocent people but lately it seems that only leads to more trouble and getting caught in the quagmire.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:40 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Weak. You've usually had much better rebuttals.
Weak rebuttals for weak talking points. You get what you give.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:40 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
This is not a criticism of Obama per se, but a question pertaining to all our presidents - why do we think we have the right to tell any other leader of another country that they should step down? What if Assad said "Mr. Obama, your country is in shambles and you should step down." I mean, come on! What chutzpah! Mind you, I have no fondness for Assad and I hope something far worse than merely "stepping down" happens to him, but it is no one's place to tell a leader of another country to step down from office.
That might be true if the United States were the only country that was calling for the Syrian president to step down. But in this case, we are not even leading in the criticism of the Syrian president's actions. We are adding our voice to the overwhelming voice of the rest of the world, and hoping that if there is enough pressure brought to bear, that the violence that has been borne by the Syrian people will come to an end.

What you are saying is like saying that if the rest of the world condemns the Holocaust, the United States should keep its mouth shut, for fear that Hitler would condemn the United States for its actions, say the Japanese interment camps. Yeah, we're not perfect. But we're human beings and as human beings shouldn't we speak out against atrocities that we witness? Shouldn't we lend our voice to the voices of other countries and other leaders to try and stop further atrocities? If my neighbor is being beaten to death in the front yard by her husband, since it's not my yard, not my husband, should I mind my own business, or should I pick up the phone and call the police?

Old 08-18-2011, 12:41 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times
Godwin's law never disappoints.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Thanks for the complement!
I mean it. You and I have had some wonderful, invigorating exchanges. You've made me look at things from perspectives I've not previously considered, and in that sense you've broadened my sensibilities, and helped me to strengthen my arguments, to refine my positions in these discussions. I always enjoyed the repartee.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Weak rebuttals for weak talking points. You get what you give.
Witty, but not really en pointe. If the talking points were so weak, you would have disemboweled them by now. Instead, we're having a singular, personal discussion that's nicely skirting the issues at hand.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:45 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Iraqi people were not rising up to topple Saddam Hussein when we invaded their country.

And our state reason for the war was "weapons of mass destruction".

Asking the Syrian president to step down is not a declaration of war.

So why would anybody of any intelligence replace "Syria" with "Iraq", when there is no similarity in the situations?
What? Maybe in Desert Storm but poppa bush listened to the UN and let them be slaughtered by sadaam.

I'll say again put replace syria with iraq in your previous statement and tell me if you supported the iraq war. You still haven't answered my original question.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
What? Maybe in Desert Storm but poppa bush listened to the UN and let them be slaughtered by sadaam.

I'll say again put replace syria with iraq in your previous statement and tell me if you supported the iraq war. You still haven't answered my original question.
I did answer your original question. By pointing out that the situations are so different that your substitution is like substituting tuna fish for bacon on a BLT. You can argue that it's still edible. But such a substitution means it ain't a BLT anymore, and no amount of arguing will make it a BLT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies