Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 02:56 PM

1,019 posts, read 589,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
This is a spin off from the Allen West/Harriet Tubman thread.

I got curious, and wondered if anyone--specifically african americans here--could tell me why they tend to vote Democratic. I have my ideas about it, and White Republicans have their theories, (That Democrats keep blacks "enslaved" with govt. promises) but I'd like to hear directly from you guys on this, since I don't get to talk to many black people about politics in real life. What is it about Democrats that appeal to you--or what is it about Republicans that turn you off?

mackinac81
Handouts a-plenty from the party of the Jackass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 02:57 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,667,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
It is attitudes and beliefs such as these from the Right which prevents the many conservative Black Americans from voting for Republicans. Republicans, as a whole, tend to see Black Americans as separate and apart from real Americans.
But wait...^ you're saying Repubs see "Black Americans" as separate and apart but then you said this below...

Quote:
Republican candidates, in general, tend to ignore Black voters and will not even actively campaign for Black votes. Republican candidates do not doorknock in predominantly Black neighborhoods, appear at Black churches or speak to the members of predominantly Black organizations (even the ones who are extremely conservative in nature) Therefore one must assume that Republicans believe that they do not need and/or want the Black vote.
...here^ you are criticizing Repubs for NOT seeing "Black Americans" as separate and apart and requiring special pandering.

This may be one of the perhaps few redeeming qualities of Repubs - no pandering for votes based on skin color.

Or as Obama said about plantation politics...line up on election day and vote the straight democrat ticket...sell their souls for a Christmas turkey.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
It is attitudes and beliefs such as these from the Right which prevents the many conservative Black Americans from voting for Republicans. Republicans, as a whole, tend to see Black Americans as separate and apart from real Americans.
But wait...^ you're saying Repubs see "Black Americans" as separate and apart but then you said this below...

Quote:
Republican candidates, in general, tend to ignore Black voters and will not even actively campaign for Black votes. Republican candidates do not doorknock in predominantly Black neighborhoods, appear at Black churches or speak to the members of predominantly Black organizations (even the ones who are extremely conservative in nature) Therefore one must assume that Republicans believe that they do not need and/or want the Black vote.
...here^ you are criticizing Repubs for NOT seeing "Black Americans" as separate and apart and requiring special pandering based on skin color.

This may be one of the perhaps few redeeming qualities of Repubs - no pandering for votes based on skin color.

Or as Obama said about plantation politics...line up on election day and vote the straight democrat ticket...sell their souls for a Christmas turkey.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
This statement hits the mark! (except we call them Malibu Liberals here )
I call them lily white liberals.

They believe "Black Americans" are, and should be, separate and apart; and design ways to keep it that way under the pretense of "helping".

Old 08-20-2011, 04:03 PM

341 posts, read 641,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
They're brainwashed into thinking only the Democrats care about them. It's sad really.
brainwashed all all voters... Two parties and media choose the winner. Democracy.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:25 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
I believe it started with JFK when he was running for President, and he needed to pick up more black voters. He bailed the Republican (at the time) Dr. King out of jail and convinced him to defect to the Democratic party, which likely turned the tides in helping him win the election. And when Martin Luther King switches to a particular political party, you can bet your sweet ass that 99.99999% of the black population will follow suit. By habit, blacks have stuck with Dems ever since.
That's interesting. I didn't know that.

I do know that 99.99% of the African American do not vote for the Democrats -- the majority of them do, a large majority, even an overwhelming majority -- but NOT 99.99%

If it started with Kennedy am I correct in assuming that they mostly supported Hoover over Roosevelt in 1932 and the other Republican opponents to FDR after that. How large a majority of African Americans supported Dewey over Truman I wonder?

Old 08-20-2011, 04:30 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Where did you come up with that? I didn't say anything to even allude to that.

Quote:

You are so wrong you don't even understand. Just keep spewing your racist garbage.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:38 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Or if the Republicans were, year after year, hostile to the interests of black people and called them every derogatory name in the book. In addition to depicting them as people who care more for a spending free-for-all than they do about social conservatism.

Gee, why would blacks join up with a political party whose members slap them in the face every day?
Again, just saying Republicans are racist. You have absolutely no facts to back this up. It's just a talking point that liberals blacks have come up with, the race card as its finest.

I didn't "depict" them as anything, do you have a reason why they would vote for the liberal spending free-for-all instead of social conservatism? I, for one, would like to know why this phenomenon occurs, if the statistics are true that black people tend to be socially conservative. Why would they not vote for conservatives? It would have to be b/c they don't agree with their fiscal policy...which means they prefer the Dems' spending free-for-all. There is nothing wrong with that statement.

Emotional responses are not welcome in this discussion, that is what always leads race threads in a direction we do not need to be going in.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:40 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
[quote=mackinac81;20536736]This is a spin off from the Allen West/Harriet Tubman thread.

I got curious, and wondered if anyone--specifically african americans here--could tell me why they tend to vote Democratic. I have my ideas about it, and White Republicans have their theories, (That Democrats keep blacks "enslaved" with govt. promises) but I'd like to hear directly from you guys on this, since I don't get to talk to many black people about politics in real life. What is it about Democrats that appeal to you--or what is it about Republicans that turn you off?

I'm not black, but I am mexican-american. I would say that I vote Dem for a few reasons: my family (parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents) all voted Dem. In the racist area where I grew up, things were very polarized with Anglos voting Republican and the mexican-americans, a few anglos and blacks voting for the opposite party. I think that this is duplicated in all of the southern states.
JFK and LBJ were heroes that ushered in the modern civil rights era.

White Repubs always have nasty comments to make about ppl that are different from themselves. It is repeated time and time again, calling Obama a "monkey", anti-gay rhetoric, anti-black rhetoric disguised as "states' rights, welfare queens, etc. Repubs are too hostile except at convention time when they showcase their token "minority" members.

George W was the most inclusive Repub that I ever saw, both in Texas and as POTUS> He was very inclusive (except for gays), quite the opposite of every other Repub. He should have been elected one more time so that we could've annihilated the Republican party forever.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:42 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Dems also push policies such as Affirmative Action and other social programs that are not related to welfare.
How is that not somehow related
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies