Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 08:13 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,895,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
And I will ask you if your opinion would be the same had the topic been regarding the issue of same sex marriage. Assuming the teacher forewarns the class that he will be using a "specific technique to stimulate discussion..." and proceeds to tell a gay student to put aside their home decorating and hairstyling magazines and pick up a copy of the Bible to see what Jesus had to say about homosexuality and then proceed to berate as nonsensical another teacher's affirmation of same sex marriage, would you condone this teacher's behavior or would it be bullying?
As I mentioned in my earlier posts, if he was specifically targeting one student's religious beliefs/sexual orientation/ethnicity or whatever else - yes, I would have a problem. If part of the teaching style as noted in the syllabus was using provocative statements to stimulate academic argument, then no, I would not have a problem, regardless of whether the topic was religion, homosexuality, or the price of tea in China. Perhaps the point was that the student was supposed to come up with an argument to support his position in an academic debate, which is a lot different than defending beliefs that are under attack. Just something to think about.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 08:14 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,260,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
So, how many openly gay students have you taught? Not many I suspect, considering your over the top stereotyping -"put aside their home decorating and hairstyling magazines." Any teacher who tells a student to pick up a "Bible to see what Jesus had to say" about anything is proselytizing, which he/she is not allowed to do in the classroom.
I see.

"Take off the Jesus glasses." (to make a point) = OK

"Put down the Decorating magazine." (to make a point) = Not OK (Bullying)

And, you are correct in that public schools are not allowed to preach the Bible. But, NEITHER are they allowed to disparage religion. I imagine we'll see this one brought to justice at the next level beyond the ridiculously left leaning bias of San Francisco's 9th Circuit Court.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:29 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,320,168 times
Quote:
I see.

"Take off the Jesus glasses." (to make a point) = OK

"Put down the Decorating magazine." (to make a point) = Not OK (Bullying)

And, you are correct in that public schools are not allowed to preach the Bible. But, NEITHER are they allowed to disparage religion. I imagine we'll see this one brought to justice at the next level beyond the ridiculously left leaning bias of San Francisco's 9th Circuit Court.
It's all about the context, which you seem to be incapable of recognizing.

BTW, not all gay students are interested in decorating or hairstyles.

And, if you go back and read your own link, you will see that the teacher did not order the student to "take off the Jesus glasses." You are posting misinformation. Why am I not surprised...

Old 08-22-2011, 09:16 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,569,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
Mythology?

say that again when you are lying on your deathbed.
Why are you christians so frightened of death?

Old 08-22-2011, 09:18 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,569,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Did you even bother to read any of this thread before vomiting this garbage?

It's entirely obvious that one of us is terribly confused. And foaming at the mouth.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:07 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,260,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
It's all about the context, which you seem to be incapable of recognizing.

BTW, not all gay students are interested in decorating or hairstyles.
Obviously not. It was a deliberate stereotypical mockery statement similar to the one the teacher made implying all Christians are blinded by wearing Jesus glasses. You have to be able to comprehend my comment within its context, "which you seem to be incapable of recognizing."

Old 08-23-2011, 06:13 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,337,499 times
Quote:
Safe to say this type of agenda is going on all over the country, even in Wisconsin. Here's an example of an agenda going on in Minnesota which is, like Wisconsin, in the heartland.

The real agenda behind schools' anti-bullying curriculum | StarTribune.com

Minnesota Family Council: Star Tribune spin ignores legitimate concerns regarding "Welcoming Schools"
Great examples of the anti-gay agenda's propaganda. Thanks.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
How about finding an objective source for your links besides and opinion piece and an advocacy group?

This is not going on all over the country. I doubt you even know anything about how the public schools in your area even work. I doubt you really know any of the teachers, staff or students in your district, but you are certainly good at cherry picking news stories about how awful America's schools are.

I'm a social studies teacher who has worked in public schools for six years in various districts. I am well acquainted with teachers and administrators across Michigan and several more teachers across the country. There is no liberal/atheist/pro-gay conspiracy enveloping the country. Neither I nor any of my colleagues have been approached by administrators about promoting homosexuality or pushing a left wing bias in schools.

Yet I often hear from fundamentalist parents who regularly lecture me, tell me what goes on in our local schools because they read something online from California, Massachusetts, or wherever and assume it's true across the whole country. Yet 99% of the time, these same people know nothing about the schools in their own town. Then when you politely try to explain this to them, they look at me as if I don't know what I'm talking about. The paranoia gets very tiring to listen to.
Thanks for the reality check.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:18 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,320,168 times
Quote:
Obviously not. It was a deliberate stereotypical mockery statement similar to the one the teacher made implying all Christians are blinded by wearing Jesus glasses. You have to be able to comprehend my comment within its context, "which you seem to be incapable of recognizing."
Your attention/retention span is obviously limited, so I will repeat the direct quote from YOUR link:
Quote:
In one lecture, he said the Catholic Church had appealed to the religious beliefs of peasants to get them to oppose an 18th century emperor who was trying to improve their conditions. "When you put on your Jesus glasses, you can't see the truth," Corbett said.
Read more: Court won't stop teacher from challenging religion
The comment that you keep deliberately misstating/misrepresenting, due to your skewed perception, was made during a lecture and was referring to the religious beliefs of peasants in the 18th century.

Context, my dear, context...

Your comment re gay stereotypes is not in anyway analogous to the one made by the teacher.

Comprehension, my dear, comprehension...

Old 08-23-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Well, perhaps such remarks in class would wind up with the teacher being taken to court, but I think the outcome would be the same if the circumstances were the same.

Yes, and I knew of that story already. Was that teacher's defense that he was doing it to play devil's advocate and trying to get gay marriage supporters to develop critical thinking skills and the ability to defend their positions? Was it a learning exercise?

I'm on the fence about his case since it was on personal time. However, he broadcast his views publicly, just as if he'd stood in front of school saying them. How would you feel if he were non-white and made such comments about whites, then during the day he's teaching students of various races, who know what he's said? And that it wasn't in a "I'm doing this to be argumentative to get you to defend your views" context, but the teacher's true feelings?

This has some additional info that may be worth thinking about. Also, that teacher was reassigned to administrative duties while they're looking into it, he still is employed by the school.

Jerry Buell's major Facebook mistake | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

And here is information from Jim Corbett, the teacher being discussed in the OP:

Teacher, Jim Corbett, rebuts Christian suit against him - Letters to the Editor - The Orange County Register
Thanks for some rationality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies