Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 02:57 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
"A $5,000 reward for the original edition of either the Aug. 13, 1961 edition of The Honolulu Advertiser or the Aug. 14, 1961 edition of the Honolulu Star-Bulletin."

"Those are the two newspapers in which the birth announcements of Barack Obama purportedly appeared."

Seems a concerned citizen put up the funds. For me it does not matter where Obama was born..Kenya or Hawaii he can never be a natural born citizen based on the foreign citizenship of his father and Obama does not meet the subject to jurisdiction clause in the 14th Amendment.

Birther Summit offers $5K for 1961 Honolulu newspaper / August 17, 2011 / Sonoran News
If we were born...are we not all Birthers?

Old 08-22-2011, 02:58 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
"When Barack Obama Jr. was born on Aug. 4,1961, in Honolulu, Kenya was a British colony, still part of the United Kingdom’s dwindling empire. As a Kenyan native, Barack Obama Sr. was a British subject whose citizenship status was governed by The British Nationality Act of 1948. That same act governed the status of Obama Sr.‘s children."

factCheck.org
And completely irrelevant. Since the laws of foreign countries have NOTHING to do with the laws of the United States regarding US citizenship.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:58 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
"When Barack Obama Jr. was born on Aug. 4,1961, in Honolulu, Kenya was a British colony, still part of the United Kingdom’s dwindling empire. As a Kenyan native, Barack Obama Sr. was a British subject whose citizenship status was governed by The British Nationality Act of 1948. That same act governed the status of Obama Sr.‘s children."

factCheck.org
I guess that would be in addition to being a natural born citizen of the USA. I don't really care what OTHER COUNTRIES laws about it are, only our laws.

According to Italy I'm an Italian citizen because my grandfather was born there, even though I've never set foot there and neither has my own father. If I had the paperwork I could get dual citizenship immediately because I'm already considered a dual citizen. Doesn't make me any less a citizen of the USA however

Old 08-22-2011, 02:59 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,454 times
Quote:
June 18th, 1787 - Alexander Hamilton suggests that the requirement be added, as: "No person shall be eligible to the office of President of the United States unless he be now a Citizen of one of the States, or hereafter be born a Citizen of the United States."

July 25, 1787 - John Jay writes a letter to General Washington (president of the Constitutional Convention): "Permit me to hint, whether it would be wise and seasonable to provide a strong check to the admission of Foreigners into the administration of our national Government; and to declare expressly that the Commander in Chief of the American army shall not be given to nor devolve on, any but a natural born Citizen."

September 2nd, 1787 George Washington pens a letter to John Jay. The last line reads: "I thank you for the hints contained in your letter"

September 4th, 1787 The "Natural Born Citizen" requirement is now found in their drafts.
You do know that back in 1787 they would have been using the common law definition of natural born citizen right? Under English Common law you're a natural born citizen even if neither parent is a citizen as long as you are born in England (a few restriction but they wouldn't apply to Obama)

The fundamental principle of the common law with regard to English nationality was birth within the allegiance, also called “ligealty,” “obedience,” “faith,” or “power,” of the King. The principle embraced all persons born within the King’s allegiance and subject to his protection. Such allegiance and protection were mutual — as expressed in the maxim, protect™ trakit subjectionem, et subjectio protectionem — and were not restricted to natural-born subjects and naturalized subjects, or to those who had taken an oath of allegiance; but were predicable of aliens in amity, so long as they were within the kingdom. Children, born in England, of such aliens, were therefore natural-born subjects. But the children, born within the realm, of foreign ambassadors, or the children of alien enemies, born during and within their hostile occupation of part of the King’s dominions, were not natural-born subjects, because not born within the allegiance, the obedience, or the power, or, as would be said at this day, within the jurisdiction of the King.

http://nativeborncitizen.wordpress.com/2009/02/11/natural-born-citizen-common-law-definition/ (broken link)

Old 08-22-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yes it does matter. There is huge difference. The plural was used for a reason. You also need to read this.
JUSTIA.COM CAUGHT RED HANDED HIDING REFERENCES TO MINOR v. HAPPERSETT IN PUBLISHED US SUPREME COURT OPINIONS.
What the hell does somebody changing a website have to do with it?

Old 08-22-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:

factCheck.org
We don't go by British law, we go by American law which is based on English Common law which doesn't include British laws from 1948. Under English Common law neither parent has to be a citizen and unless that has been changed it still stands

Old 08-22-2011, 03:09 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,825,889 times
Alexander Porter Morse "Treatise on Citizenship" confirms a natural born citizen is born to citizen parents.

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab264/Dragging_Canoe/Treatise_On_Citizenship_preface_XI_Vattel_Note4.jp g (broken link)

Old 08-22-2011, 03:11 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Alexander Porter Morse "Treatise on Citizenship" confirms a natural born citizen is born to citizen parents.
Round and round and round we go.

Mr Morse's treatise is not US legal code.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:12 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,193,381 times
Quote:
Right "parents" meaning my parent, your parent or joe blows parent down the street....you finally get it!

Old 08-22-2011, 03:16 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
Here's more of what he said:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies