Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 01:21 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yeah, it started way back then. What a looney thing to say.
Benefiting from a structure that was put into place is different than CREATING the damn structure, knowing what it will do, in the first place. Just like the tax arguments, BIG rich Lefties take advantage of loopholes and offshore accounts while they complain about the rich not paying their fair share. They create these loopholes, then complain that it is hurting the economy, all the while they take every single one they can and then some!
Don't just blame the left, the right is just as guilty. Politicians have been taking avantage of the American people's stupidity for years but now it is just blantant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 01:31 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yeah, it started way back then. What a looney thing to say.
Benefiting from a structure that was put into place is different than CREATING the damn structure, knowing what it will do, in the first place. Just like the tax arguments, BIG rich Lefties take advantage of loopholes and offshore accounts while they complain about the rich not paying their fair share. They create these loopholes, then complain that it is hurting the economy, all the while they take every single one they can and then some!
- The rich of any political orientation are greedy and try to evade paying taxes.
- The US didn't complain about globalization as long as it was benefiting from it and other countries were buying American products. Only when it didn't like its own medicine anymore, did it start to complain.
- Nor do I hear complaints about all the German automakers outsourcing jobs to the Deep South.
- Nobody has forced American companies to outsource jobs to China etc. They do it because they want to, and most business people are conservative.

Why are we even discussing that in this thread?

Old 08-24-2011, 01:39 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
How is a 52-year-old guy who worked, on his knees as a flooring installer, for 35 years in a better position to fight for himself? You completely ignored that "I AM NOT PHYSICALLY ABLE to do my own trade! That is an insane position to take and condescending toward me. You wrote me off like I'm some special case.

NO, a social net is there to provide a means to getting into the next job not as an income replacement. It has become a drug that keeps people from having the will to work harder, or to fight for themselves. You've just become used to having handouts that should'nt exist in the first place.

It is a fact that people will remain on unemployment as long as it is offered. Lets make it 250 weeks like Sweden did. 5 years they allowed people to live off the so-called social net. They had a huge problem getting people off their asses and back into the work force. They reduced it to 2 years and guess what, people stayed on it for 22 months and then started looking for work. It isn't rocket science to understand that people take advantage of anything they are offered. Like the wealthy who stood in lines around the block for the free bicycle helmets... they're reasoning; "hey its free!"

It's one thing if someone is disabled, and quite another if they are just abusing a handout.
Don't put words into my mouth. All I am saying is that just because you managed to overcome your problems, doesn't mean everybody else has to or does. People are quite different from each other. Some are driven to resignation and depression by things that only get others to fight back.

I absolutely agree that unemployment benefits should and can not be a permanent solution. On the other hand I do hold the whole system (government, companies, people) responsible for society as a whole. Since hardly anyone has their own land to do subsistence agriculture and thus survive on their own, most people are dependent in one way or another. I am a freelancer and even I am dependent on people giving me work and thus a chance.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:27 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Are you seriously asking these questions?
Yes. Can you seriously answer them?

Quote:
I'm sorry, short term is 26 weeks, as it was originally intended (a hand up), and has been pushed to 52 and then 99 weeks. That's almost two years (a hand out!) Has the meaning of short term somehow stretched with time? You can get an associate's degree in less than 99 weeks.
And this is a reason why people who are unemployed should not get benefits for 99 weeks? Do you really believe unemployment benefits are lucrative? Do you believe people would rather be unemployed and receive a small amount of money, or rather be employed and be able to make a decent living?

Quote:
There are no jobs because they have been regulated and taxed to where moving off-shore makes better business sense. Water seeks the lowest level, so do well run businesses.
What does this have to do with the unemployed? Did they enact regulations or collect taxes?

Quote:
Now that's a way to rationalize that two years is actually a short amount of time when compared to the 40+ years we typically work. In fact, using this way of thinking then it would be only fair if we received unemployment for twenty years since we had to work the other twenty, and then I want my SS and retirement. By all means, lets call this logical and write more checks we can't cover.
Irrelevant and hyperbolic.

Quote:
And to stay on topic, Waters proves the point by showing how much of a gutter shark she is.
Not germane to the conversation.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTrang View Post
Speaking of Full of BS. I wonder after such a dump as your post, if you can possibly have any more left, but I suspect you do have some left, lots and lots, left. Now if only you could connect your BS, with the truth, or even a snippet of fact. Your Hatred of good and decency has clouded your judgement.

And my old district was one district away from Maxine "No Justice, No Peace" the Riot Instigator Waters.
What riot did Maxine Waters instigate?

Old 08-24-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Look... After 30 years I lost my construction business in 2007. I was hit by credit card fraud ring for $32k. Even though I managed to bust the guys (they got 2.5 years on a plea deal), everything I had worked for was stolen from me because the merchant processor came after me for the money. I'm not friendly to banks and corporations, but I know how business is. When I was put under, so was my wife and the five guys who worked for me. On top of that, my dually was totaled while parked in front of my home by an illegal Mexican delivering pizzas who had no insurance. This is California, the cops didn't even arrest him.

I'm unable to physically start over in my trade, so I started building a new business online by selling on eBay. I sold that and started another business making personalized teddy bears and a new marketing service. I do whatever it takes to pay the bills.

I pulled myself up and fended for myself. I didn't sit on the couch feeling sorry for myself, and I didn't look for a handout from Uncle Sam. I'm certainly not in great shape financially, but I'm also covering my bills with little to no help, nor did I look for any.

Why do so many people look to make their condition someone elses problem?
There's only so many teddy bears......do you really think everyone in America will be able to compensate for the lost jobs by selling stuff on EBay?

Old 08-24-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
How is globalization milenia ago related to the technology based globalization of today? Two thousand years ago it took months to get a message from Asia to Europe, the Americas and Australia hadn't been discovered yet.
Typical racist Eurocentrism. How can places that hadn't been "discovered" be full of human beings?

Old 08-24-2011, 08:11 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
She is a scumbag racist and needs to resign or be forced out.

Talk about a hateful anti American loser who has stolen tax payers money for her own good. Oops, I mean her husbands own good.

Remember this is the lady whos hubby got caught with his hands in the till and has her scummy hands all over it.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:50 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't think the statistics tell us much of anything unless we can compare the UE before and after 2008 - and see if black communities increased in UE disproportionately than did white communities.

I alo do not understand why ANYONE (black or white) thinks ANY POTUS has that much control over job creation. Private companies create jobs. The gubment can only create bureaucracies - and jobs that are paid for by TAX DOLLARS. That doesn't make any sense at all! In a country w/ a huge deficit, why would we create jobs that drain the tax coffers even more?

Perhaps Obama could introduce legislation that affects corporate taxation . . . or foreign trade policy . . . but I think it is patently unfair to put the burden of job creation on his (or any) President's shoulders.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:59 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
She is a scumbag racist and needs to resign or be forced out.

Talk about a hateful anti American loser who has stolen tax payers money for her own good. Oops, I mean her husbands own good.

Remember this is the lady whos hubby got caught with his hands in the till and has her scummy hands all over it.

It's funny that you should mention that because at first glance I thought that you were talking about Michelle Bachman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies