Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 08:09 AM

912 posts, read 1,331,666 times

Advertisements

The olden days are gone forever any sense of desncey and morality left America long ago.These days americans have a right to view and read everything .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 08:12 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
So you put a price on your child's education?

If public schools are as evil as you say, you are not willing to sacrifice, and even go into debt, to save YOUR CHILD from that EVIL?

I guess it's always about money.

Shame on you!
I'm spending $20K per year for my child to go to a good school compared to the snakepit of the local public schools which are overrun with poor-performing teachers, liberal agendas, and overcrowding (in large part with illegals who cannot even speak English). The stats on the number of students who speak English as a second language and those who come from impoverished households are scary given that these are predominantly the students who's parents are least involved, who will be disruptions in the classroom preventing other students the opportunity to learn, and who suck up disproportionate amount or school resources.

Yes, I'm sacrificing. And it's in the form of the price I'm forced to put on my child's education. And my taxes are still being collected to pay for the public schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
...I doubt the gay community as a whole gives a crap if Bert & Ernie get married.
But it normalizes such relationships and makes them acceptable in the minds of children. Such are neither normal not acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Are you implying that a book can kill somebody? If so, I think you need to seek help... now. Terrible analogy, almost frighteningly so.
Minds can be poisoned just as easily as bodies. Where is the disconnect on that fact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Yes...we know.....some people aren't capable of talking to their kids about real issues. It's ok, they will grow up just as close minded, only to be ostracized from a progressive society, too. ^^b
"Progressive" is such a PC and a very slippery word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I understand what you are saying. But what I think is that once something is "normalized" it's no longer an issuse at all. That's the place we need to get to. It's the getting there that's the problem.
Not all of us want to normalize such things. I agree that efforts on "getting there" presents a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Personally, I don't see how any parent anywhere could be a proponent of anything dealing with gay sex being a relevant and enlightning component of their kids education.
Agree. Except that I would change that to "...anything dealing positively with gay sex...". For one brief second, I'll take an objective compassionate angle here and say that why would you as a parent would instill in your child the concept that this is a good or acceptable choice knowing the ostracism and life they'll face as a result? OK, back to our normal programming where I'll just agree with AeroGuyDC's statement above at face value. (We all know I'm neither obejctive nor compassionate. Right, libs?)

Old 08-24-2011, 08:13 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Too bad the OP didn't include anything from the ultimate authority on America's problems; Dr James Dobson of Focus on the Family.
What does Reverend Phelps think of the mentioned reading material. Why isn't his (and Westboro Church's) opinion included?
Has America already forgotten when Jerry Falwell declared that 09/11 was god's punishment onto America for not executing homosexuals?

Old 08-24-2011, 08:13 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
The olden days are gone forever any sense of desncey and morality left America long ago.These days americans have a right to view and read everything .
We've always had the right to view and read everything. It was a pleasure to burn...

Old 08-24-2011, 08:22 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
"Most of us can remember many of the books on the assigned reading list in middle and high school — from Charles Dickens’ “Great Expectations” to Fyodor Dostoyevsky’s “Crime and Punishment.” Today, however, required reading for students apparently includes “Tweak: Growing up on Methamphetamines,” a book that features a scene depicting a homosexual orgy and “Norwegian Wood,” a book that features a sex scene between a 31-year-old woman and a 13-year old girl."

School Reading List Featured Books on Lesbian Sex, Gay Orgy | TheBlaze.com

There was a time I wouldn't have believed this type of reading material was available in a public school library, let alone recommended or even required for not only high schoolers but middle schoolers as well. But, that was before my 10 year old dd entered middle school in 5th grade in a new district. Then, I saw the type of books being recommended and/or required by her teachers and I started doing some research and discovered books in the school library that contained the type of material described in this story. I doubt that many parents realize what is being pushed on their children in the guise of "literature" in our local bookstores, public libraries and even in our schools. Many of these books come packaged in cute little pink covers. And for those that say even the classics or the Bible have references to sex and profanity, I have read both types of books and there is a glaring difference. One may have references; the other graphic depictions with little or no moral consequences.
I guess you didn't read Vladimir Nabokov's "Lolita" or Toni Morrison's "Beloved" in school.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:29 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,380,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I just finished reading that article.
But not the actual reviews of the books in question, which show the article to be complete hogwash. What's up with that?

Old 08-24-2011, 08:30 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
I have not read the entire book, but have read countless reviews and excerpts from the book. How about you???
I will read the book starting tonight.

I had to read Catch-22 in high school. Lots of swearing, some passages mentioning sex and prostitutes. No outright graphic sex; I don't know how graphic the scenes are in the books discussed here.

I wouldn't put these books on a required list for middle schoolers, and it's unclear if it ever was. I think books with mature themes are fine for high school students, and I have no qualms with them being in the school library, even if the library is shared between high school and junior high students.

And any pre-teen or teen kid with older siblings probably has already perused their books for any naughty bits. That's how I read "Rabbit, Run" in junior high. Guess what? At that age, I thought it was really boring! Young students who encounter "Norwegian Wood" might feel the same, because kids tend to read what is age-appropriate, or reading level-appropriate, for them. Some books can be "age inappropriate" just because they contain themes and writing styles that younger readers won't connect with.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
The olden days are gone forever ...these days americans have a right to view and read everything .
Halelujah!

Old 08-24-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Too bad the OP didn't include anything from the ultimate authority on America's problems; Dr James Dobson of Focus on the Family.
What does Reverend Phelps think of the mentioned reading material. Why isn't his (and Westboro Church's) opinion included?
Has America already forgotten when Jerry Falwell declared that 09/11 was god's punishment onto America for not executing homosexuals?
She added a later link from Pete Spriggs of the so-called Family "Research" Council. Same thing.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:31 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard;
Agree. Except that I would change that to "...anything dealing positively with gay sex...". For one brief second, I'll take an objective compassionate angle here and say that why would you as a parent would instill in your child the concept that this is a good or acceptable choice knowing the ostracism and life they'll face as a result? OK, back to our normal programming where I'll just agree with AeroGuyDC's statement above at face value. (We all know I'm neither obejctive nor compassionate. Right, libs?)

A public school education would help you and your children (hopefully) understand that there is no "good or acceptable choice" to make with respect to sexual orientation. You either are, or you are not, straight or gay. There is no conscious thought process. If there were, every straight person on this board would have to admit they can get hot and bothered for someone of the same sex, but only choose not to.

Ignorance of this fact belies so much "conservative problem" with homosexuality. Homeschooling that ignores prevailing psychological and sociological scholarship on this issue ill equips children for life in college, and in the "real world."

Last edited by TriMT7; 08-24-2011 at 10:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies