Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 07:03 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Perhaps the poster who is a librarian and defended these books based on a possible need by gay students to not have to feel ashamed could answer your question. I asked the same question. I don't get it.
You are the one who tried to make these books about gay people and homosexuality, when they are not.

Your credibility is less than zero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 07:08 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
So you saying people are vile, disgusting, and abnormal can be equated to me saying leave people alone, and quit picking on them? Umm...no, sorry, not even close.
I've said that such people should receive counseling and proper help rather than encouragement to continue an unrealistic lifestyle. That is a practical answer, much more practical than worrying about their hurt feelings and willingness to sacrifice society so they feel good about what they are.

Tell ya' what - you worry about your kids and I'll take care of mine. These same kids can settle it on the playground, later at the ballot box or in the Boardroom.

Over-worrying about feelings is what is turning our society into a land of sissies - let's get rid of dodgeball, let's have games with no winners or losers, let's give everybody a participation prize, let's let those unable to pay loans buy a house so they feel enfranchised to the American Dream, etc.

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid!"
--- Jackie Brown (from "The Friends of Eddie Coyle" - often attributed to John Wayne in "The Sands of Iwo Jima")

Old 08-25-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
Fine, ok

that may be true....I don't know, no way of verifying that..but, not everything has a intellectual, insightful, stimulating meaning to it...sometimes, crap is crap, no matter how hard you try to assign "intellectualism" to it....would you argue Soul Plane was a brilliant movie because it had alot of "mature" and "controversial" themes in it?...

I don't know what point you were tyring to make...that book too was banned and heavily criticized...even accusations of plagiarism....just because it contained straight people didn't stop others from railing against it...

were the ones who did it hateful bigots for it?

College Sex Toy Demonstration | Professor Demos Sex Toy Class

no but I have see fisting kits gave out to high-school kids...and when parents and others tried to speak against it...you guessed it, they were "ignorant bigots" or something...because they didn't want their kids exposed to this..yes, maybe I did overdo it with the hyperbole...but parents can't even try to shield them from certain things they do...that they have to force it on your kids otherwise you're a bigot...

I have seen people defend stuff like this..about fisting, p*ssing on each other, swallowing?.....that this is acceptable to hand out to anyone...let alone kids....why?...well if you don't you just hate gays you bigot....people wouldn't want this stuff handed out to kids even if its about straight people...

and when a gay couple was denied a rep hall, they sued, anyone else would have just found another place, but no, this couple sued....yeah, sh*t like this kinda means "gayness being thrown in your face"...and when you simply try to look away, they scream "BIGOT!!"...

what?

you are right......but heterosexuals didn't think its so common that they designed a pamphlet for students and kids on how to do it "safely"...

no one posted it, its the common rebuttal...that if you don't want to be bothered with this mess, well you're just not "smart" enough to "handle" it...

I sure hope so..

again, some people don't want this...even if it was about straight people...even if you try to wrap it in a intellectual package and rhetoric...they don't want it....that doesn't make them "homophobes"...every criticism isn't "homophobic"...get over yourselves
Oh good grief. Another person who is obsessed by reading 4th hand hearsay about other people's obsessions of other peoples obsessions about supposed gay sex.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Where did I focus on "gay sex themes?" The problem I have repeatedly pointed out is the inappropriate, graphic sexual content of the books. Others have defended the books, saying gay kids need something to read, I guess because both books feature inappropriate sexual material involving gays; a gay orgy and a sexual encounter between an adult woman and a 13 year old girl.

The reviews I referred to all talked of the inappropriate for kids sexual content. I stand by it.
Will you EVER get it in your head that the books are not about gay people?

You focused on "gay sex" with the title of your thread and just about every post in this thread. Are you now misrepresenting your OWN posts in this thread as well as the the article and the books? You're on a roll.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I have not read this thread past page 12 yet, wow is it popular!

One thing that keeps being repeated is the assertion that these books were not only assigned to high school students, but also assigned, recommended, or required for middle school students. The age of 10 keeps popping up in the discussion.

The article in the Blaze mentions mentions middle school students. It refers to Fox News as a source of the story. The linked Fox story clearly states

But they also state

They refer to the Gloucester County Times as the source and link to it.

The Gloucester County Times makes no mention of middle school. The list was issued at Williamstown High School, "Norwegian Wood" was a choice on the list for a 10th grade honors English class, and "Tweak" was a choice on the list for a 12th grade honors English class.

There is no mention that the books were suggested for middle schoolers. Considering Fox News has been guilty of putting (D) next to names of Republicans caught in sex scandals, and more "errors" like that, I don't trust them when their facts differ from the source they cite, and they don't offer another source to back up the details that aren't in the cited source.

I'm about a third of the way through "Norwegian Wood" now. No homosexuality yet, but heterosexual sex, although not written in a lurid smutty way. Will give a full review when I'm done.
Love to hear your review when you've finished reading the book.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:21 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Sshhhhh! You are ruining the rant what with your facts and logic. Pffft!
+1 - couldn't rep you again.

Ah, who needs facts and logic when there's opinion, belief, and hysteria afoot?

Old 08-25-2011, 07:31 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Most kids will obtain and read whatever they danm well want regardless of their parental directives. I know I did.
I was reading medical journals at age 10 and my parents couldn't have stopped me if they tried. If they had any sort of ideology that went against medicine, they would have been out of luck. Especially with the Internet--it's incredibly easy to get your hands on almost any reading material that has plenty of adult themes. Just look at the Project Gutenberg. Hundreds of novels, online, totally free. A lot of those classics do have controversial themes. Here is the list of available Shakespeare titles, which has plenty of sexual humor, teen sex, suicide, and other controversial themes to go around. MacBeth, anyone? Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass, which explores gay themes, is also easily available on here. Should we panic about that too?

Old 08-25-2011, 07:43 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I've said that such people should receive counseling and proper help rather than encouragement to continue an unrealistic lifestyle.
And you wonder why people call you a bigot?

Quote:
Tell ya' what - you worry about your kids and I'll take care of mine. These same kids can settle it on the playground, later at the ballot box or in the Boardroom.
Then stop trying to change the school curriculums to suite your agenda, leave it as is, and parent your children accordingly. But you are implying that changing it to suite your belief system is the right thing to do. The irony.

Quote:
Over-worrying about feelings is what is turning our society into a land of sissies - let's get rid of dodgeball, let's have games with no winners or losers, let's give everybody a participation prize, let's let those unable to pay loans buy a house so they feel enfranchised to the American Dream, etc.
Yes, let's just call people abnormal and sick. Unless of course it's your children that are being called that, then it's an abomination. The irony.

Quote:
"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid!"
--- Jackie Brown (from "The Friends of Eddie Coyle" - often attributed to John Wayne in "The Sands of Iwo Jima")
So people who don't share your opinions are stupid? Wow, you are such a great role model for kids.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
I didn't say some things of heavy and mature nature couldn't be brilliant...but that not everything of heavy and mature nature was brilliant...that maybe, just maybe things are just....crap....and to try to wrap "intellectualism" around it doesn't stop it from being crap..not everything has a academic value to it.....some people find drug induced gay orgies bullsh*t....sorry...

ok

I have no problem with it, but to say that this has some kind of academic value is pushing it...again, they can do it, but I fail to see how such a class, or at least this single one would help out with anyone futures......watching someone masturbate...what does that accomplish?.."well its to have an orgasm"...for what?..."you're just not smart enough to get it"......

my point is that stuff like this, the book, and other stuff isn't a matter of "homophobia" or being a "prude"...its just unnecessary.....and to try to make it into something "intellectual" isn't going to all of a sudden make it so... remember, this was a attractive young female..who doesn't like those?....people still found it wrong.....gays aren't the only ones to run into criticism over sexuality...

even if its about psychology, does watching someone masturbate live further someone's education?...its just crap....sometimes things are just crap...

ok

that is your response if your daughter brought home a kit about fisting, oral, swallowing etc???..Jesus...umm, ok... more power to you....ADULTS wouldn't be ok getting this stuff, we are aware of this is only on the fringe of society...so we don't pay attention to it...I be worried why the school found it necessary to distribute this.....did some kind of new "sex revolution" happen?...is fisting a growing trend among teens?....and how does the school know?..that is incredibly dangerous, why are they encouraging this?...but I guess all the cool parents would just laugh at the prudes or whatever..

that is true, but almost always, anything gay, no mater how reprehensible it is, is almost always defended, usually by the same people...not random people defending random things...on these very City data threads I can predict, with accuracy on who is going to defend anything gay....

gays aren't normally turned away, they never denied gays renting a bedroom, but for whatever reason they thought the rep hall was infringing on their religious rights...it wasn't because they were gay, it was their religious convictions...again, every time you don't get your way doesn't mean its because of "homophobia"..you're not that special..

these people and their family run business are obvious "bigots"..like I keep saying, "in your face and you better accept it" otherwise, you're a bigot..

and by the way, they had to shut down the rep hall so no one can use it...but who cares, as long as those bigots and their family got whats coming to them....

Ok

lol, some random case in the U.K.?...and that is no where near as graphic as the homosexual pamphlet....infact the hetero one was, albeit inappropriate, for educational purposes not for conducting anything of sexual interactions like p*ssing and fisting....find something, here in America about safe hetero anal or something and I will give you that..

some parents want to have say in what their kids learn, their minds are still impressionable...you can argue that they are "mature"...others would say that they are still confused and trying to find their way and place in the world....I don't know too many teens that have fully developed, matured minds and personalities..now I am not saying that it would corrupt them...that they may point and laugh, be freaked out and even just outright ignore stuff like this...this is the facebook, texting, sexting, generation...kids have enough hard time dealing with straight sex as it it..

ok
other books have been protest vehemently...even burned....like I said, get over yourselves...not every criticism "homophobic"
You might want to do a little digging on the source of your "information".
Massresistance is an anti-gay hate group which propagates known falsehoods about gay people/homosexuality. (pssst! That means they lie through their teeth)

Your "fistgate" saga is complete BS.

MassResistance Watch

MassResistance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MassResistance | Right Wing Watch

18 Anti-Gay Groups and Their Propaganda | Southern Poverty Law Center

10 Anti-Gay Myths Debunked | Southern Poverty Law Center

Holy Bullies and Headless Monsters: Search results for massresistance

Old 08-25-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
A lot of truth in this post. Lots of times on this forum some of these points have been called bigoted, hateful, intolerant, ignorant, homophobic.

It seems like you should be able to voice an honest opinion without being lambasted, insulted and ridiculed.
Actually there is very little "truth" in this post. The "facts" are sourced from a known anti-gay hate group. See above links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies