Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:30 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Because the anti-gay posters on this thread probably think that a 'shakespeare' is something you use to stab and eat chicken.
Touche...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 10:34 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
I wonder what they think about Othello...a story about a dark-skinned dude who murdered his white wife because he thought she was having an affair with another white dude...

Oh, yeah...they call that the OJ trial and act like that sh*t's never happened before.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:36 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,615,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Nothing is pushed on anyone at a public library, and I should know as I'm a PUBLIC LIBRARIAN... we don't give people books, and only recommend titles if somebody asks (and even then it's only after a proper "reference interview"). Don't like it, don't read it - same goes for school libraries, as even the "required" summer reading is usually a list that you can CHOOSE from at your discretion. Again, I should know, as I've been helping people locate their summer reading books for the last 3 months. Usually they come in with a 2-page list of about 10-20 titles, most of which are the usual classics people like you can handle.

Stop spewing garbage about things you don't understand, and please get over your obsession with homosexuality already. Seriously, it's weird.
Nothing is being pushed on these kids???? ok so why are these books allowed but the banned books aren't?? If people don't want to read the books on any "banned book list, no ones making them.

When there are fewer choices in the libraries, I guess they have to read those other books huh?

Old 08-23-2011, 10:38 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,191,902 times
Yes...we know.....some people aren't capable of talking to their kids about real issues. It's ok, they will grow up just as close minded, only to be ostracized from a progressive society, too. ^^b

Old 08-23-2011, 10:52 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,264,480 times
Quote:

I'm glad we can now provide books on these subjects, and whether or not you want to believe it, most of them are actually appropriate for teen readers. Have you read these titles, or are you just frightened by the mere suggestion of gayness?
So you are glad that these books can now be provided and feel they are appropriate for teens? (BTW, they are apparently in the middle school libraries also, so that means they are available for 10 year olds.) But, I guess all our children need to learn what it means to be gay...But is this really what it means to be gay? Orgies? Adult/Child sex? Hard to believe you defend this.

“Tweak: Growing up on Methamphetamines,” a book that features a scene depicting a homosexual orgy and “Norwegian Wood,” a book that features a sex scene between a 31-year-old woman and a 13-year old girl."

School Reading List Featured Books on Lesbian Sex, Gay Orgy | TheBlaze.com
“Tweak: Growing up on Methamphetamines,” a book that features a scene depicting a homosexual orgy and “Norwegian Wood,” a book that features a sex scene between a 31-year-old woman and a 13-year old girl."

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/scho...-sex-gay-orgy/

Last edited by maja; 08-23-2011 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: trying to add link

Old 08-23-2011, 10:58 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,874,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I read "Go Ask Alice" when I was a kid in the 70's. I survived.
All the young girls love Alice,
Tender young Alice they say,
Come over and see me . . .
Come over and please me . . .

. . . Alice, it's my turn today

~ Elton John

Old 08-23-2011, 11:24 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,264,480 times
Quote:
. .

Some parents might be fine with this content - heck, some parents might even be gay themselves.
And what does being gay have to do with orgies or child molestation, which are the topics of the books being debated?

Why do gay kids need to read about orgies and adult/child sex?

Old 08-23-2011, 11:32 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,879,591 times
Quote:
That's your opinion, and thankfully you don't speak for the entire population.

When I had a student (while working at a school library) who was struggling to accept his homosexuality, how do you think he'd feel if we had banned all books that even mentioned the subject? I'll tell you - it would make him feel ashamed, afraid, and like we didn't care about him. I'm glad we can now provide books on these subjects, and whether or not you want to believe it, most of them are actually appropriate for teen readers. Have you read these titles, or are you just frightened by the mere suggestion of gayness?
First of all, she probably does speak for most of the population. Remember that NYC and San Francisco combined are merely a small fraction of the American population.

Secondly, I would have no objection to books with a homosexual theme being available in the school library PROVIDING they have some genuine literary merit and are age appropriate. Books that discuss orgies or explicit sexual acts don't meet that criteria.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:34 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,082,097 times
Quote:
Btw, I'm in charge of ordering ALL of the teen books for our library, and I do include some titles that touch on adult subjects & homosexuality... but I'd say it's maybe 1-2% of the entire YA collection, and again you're free to pass by them if you're not interested. Public libraries serve the PUBLIC, which includes gay/bi citizens, and people in general who have sex. Should we not carry a copy of the Christian Bible, simply because some of our patrons aren't Christian? And should I discard all books on immigration because some people think our borders should be closed? The answer is no, as long as other views are also represented in our books.
What does your position as a PUBLIC LIBRARIAN have to do with smut being pushed via school reading lists?

I fail to see the connection between public schools pushing the smut and you managing the card catalogue. Now if you created the reading lists, i'd have a problem with you. But you don't. And no one is trying to keep YOU from ordering a book. That's not the topic at hand. So again, tell me, what exactly is your role in this?

Old 08-23-2011, 11:41 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,879,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
And what does being gay have to do with orgies or child molestation, which are the topics of the books being debated?

Why do gay kids need to read about orgies and adult/child sex?
Good question! That's what I was thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies