Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 02:39 PM

58,659 posts, read 26,945,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
It seems all I hear pundits, demagogues, GOP Candidates, the President and Congress harping about is jobs - jobs - jobs.

Jobs are not the problem, jobs are a symptom of the problem.
The problem is government getting in the way of small business which generates 60+ % of the GDP, pandering to Big Business and trying to replace productive and profitable private industry with inefficient, wasteful and non-productive public sector products and services. We live in a country that is extremely wealthy and populated by an industrious and entrepreneurial people. If government quits tying the hands of small business with taxes and regulation which takes a bevy of lawyers, accountants and OSHA experts to navigate our economy would kick in to overdrive and the jobs would be there.

We need opportunity, not jobs.

The individual who jumps into the business arena risks all in our environment with the risk of lawsuits for everything from product liability, safe working conditions to offending someone with a different value system or lifestyle than themselves. When in spite of these obstacles they are successful, those they employ, who risk nothing believe they are somehow entitled to a proportion of the companies profits, not a wage commiserate with the market value of the contribution they make to the product or service the company produces.

We are a country and people who have lost our sense of who and what we are. We have turned our back on the acknowledged rights and responsibilities of a free people and society to become safe worker drones in a centrally managed supposedly "safe" environment.

Wake up people, we've been sold a bad deal and we don't even realize we have sold out our freedom for a security that does not exist.

I guess I'm ranting, but I am curious to know what the rest of you think.
I take it you don't follow politics too much, because the GOP and the GOP candidates ARE saying exactly what you are asking for.

get the gov't out of the way. The free market will produce jobs when the gov't gorilla is off their back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 03:16 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,626,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Judging by the posts on this forum, we need education.
I'm sure there is a college near you, a mind is a terrible thing to waste...!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:21 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,872,876 times
This is the kind of government obstructionism I am talking about.

What is our government thinking? Are they intentionally trying to bankrupt our country? Why do they make it more difficult for honest enterprise to take place by the small business entrepreneur?

Could it possibly be because any entrepreneur opening a new and successful enterprise removes potential worker drones from the Government/Big Business Combine that own us?

Good God people I pray you wake up and help us stop this erosion of our freedom and willful submission to economic slavery.

Perry is no different that Obama in any of the ways that matter.
Perry = Continued Corporatism & Globalism turning the U.S. into a feifdom of foreign interests.

Ron Paul is our only choice to maintain our sovereignty and reclaim our economic legacy.

Last edited by jwm1964; 09-06-2011 at 08:34 AM..

Old 09-06-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I take it you don't follow politics too much, because the GOP and the GOP candidates ARE saying exactly what you are asking for.

get the gov't out of the way. The free market will produce jobs when the gov't gorilla is off their back.

Hey Rocket Scientist - The GOP have been saying this all my adult life and I'm not a Spring Chicken anymore. They have also payed lip service to the idea of fiscal responsibility.

I guess I shouldn't be so sarcastic but I just have little patience with those who don't use their eyes or ears to verify what people do, in spite of what they say. Under the GWB administration the debt ceiling I believe was raised 5 times in 8 years. This administration was also in the drivers seat during one of the most reckless and irresponsible spending spree's by any administration Left or Right in decades.

Now, before you label me a wide eyed fanatic of the left - I don't give Obama any passes for his excuses either. My point is neither party is looking out for you in spite of their lies and obfuscations.

- one other thing; please don't attempt to speak down to me as if I'm the one who doesn't know what their talking about. Do your own fact checks, it certainly isn't hard to verify.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:37 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,608,382 times
Actually we need better distribution of income. Jobs are only one way of doing that.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:41 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,376,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
The "jobs crisis" is a business crisis. EVERY job in the country is funded by private enterprise; even public-sector jobs are paid by taxes levied on private enterprise.

The president has not connected the dots between employers and employment. He evidently believes you can tax, harass, over-regulate, and threaten employers with no effect on employment. Apples come from trees; employment comes from employers. If you want apples and employment, you better take care of the trees and the employers.

So what are the odds that Obama's MAJOR September speech about employment will show that he has connected the dots? You know and I know it will be a rehash of the same old playbook: more debt for temporary "created" jobs, with the higher burden eventually falling on private enterprise.

He is killing the goose that lays golden eggs.

The problem is that Barack is trying use the power of government to reward businesses that align with his values and punish businesses that do not. Companies make money and expand by supplying the things that consumers actually WANT, not what they necessarily NEED.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Actually we need better distribution of income. Jobs are only one way of doing that.
Are you serious or am I misunderstanding you?

You believe the solution is to continue confiscating from those who produce to distribute to those who do not? Especially when many of those who do not are in the top 5% income brackets? That is what corporatism is all about, confiscating from the lower classes to finance bail-outs and special compensations for big business.

I must not be understanding you correctly.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
The "jobs crisis" is a business crisis. EVERY job in the country is funded by private enterprise; even public-sector jobs are paid by taxes levied on private enterprise.

The president has not connected the dots between employers and employment. He evidently believes you can tax, harass, over-regulate, and threaten employers with no effect on employment. Apples come from trees; employment comes from employers. If you want apples and employment, you better take care of the trees and the employers.

So what are the odds that Obama's MAJOR September speech about employment will show that he has connected the dots? You know and I know it will be a rehash of the same old playbook: more debt for temporary "created" jobs, with the higher burden eventually falling on private enterprise.

He is killing the goose that lays golden eggs.
I don't know about Obama's motives but I believe with your first sentence you hit the nail on the head. The producing private sector must pay for a non-producing and growing public sector -

Are you smarter than a 5th grader? (not you specifically, general comment)

Because any 5th grader can tell you where this must eventually lead.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:48 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,608,382 times
The point of the modern world economy seems to be to get 98% of the people to owe money to the other 2%.

I suggest a Jubilee where all debt is canceled. Everybody keeps their stuff even if the owe money on it. This includes nations as well as ordinary people. Corporate stocks would still represent a portion of a company but bonds would be worthless. A world operating on investment and direct production but without credit would be very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies