Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:41 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,285,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
That's rich, the federal government telling the Cherokee nation what treaties to observe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
What a dilemma for politicians. Which oppressed minority group should they support?
Being part Cherokee, and knowing a little about the 'Trail of Tears' and the federal government and their record of treaty observations, I think the Cherokee are on the high ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 10:35 AM

25,915 posts, read 24,590,020 times
Taking people's citizenship away is pretty severe. Maybe the US should do the same with Indians, forcing them to chose either citizenship

Regarding Europeans, I think they mostly took their slaves from among themselves, i.e. they had a very low social class with few rights, some of them literally belonging to others, so in effect they were slaves, even if they were not called that way.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:07 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,112,729 times
People of every race and ethnicity have held slaves of every race and ethnicity they conquered or kidnapped from. Blacks in Africa hold white and black slaves even to this day, especially the Muslims since the Koran endorses and regulates slavery of kafirs. Wealthy blacks (and Indians of course) sometimes held white indentured servants or black slaves in pre-Emancipation America. Indians were known to hold white, black, and Indian slaves through kidnappings and warfare. Just so we're clear on that - until a coupla hundred years ago everyone was doing it! Even the Bible had messages purportedly from God that allowed parents to sell their children off in slavery under certain circumstances.

What's interesting to me is the very large percentage of Cherokees that voted to get rid of blacks - what was it, 76%? There must not have been much interbreeding in all those years for them to be so intolerant, which is unusual. Perhaps the Cherokee blacks moved away from traditional indian lifestyles and values, and more toward mainstream American urban black culture, whose lifestyles are both feared and annoying to the older people of many ethnicities - at least in the modern era.

In other words, if Cherokee blacks have become like African American blacks, maybe the parents of traditional Cherokee children are worried that they will become like African Americans.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:10 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,129,640 times
unfortunately nothing will come of it. only white on black racism is on trial in america.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:33 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,304,768 times
Default Reparations are needed to make blacks whole

Interesting. The larger issue here is the place that blacks have in this country as a result of slavery. A hierarachy emerged from slavery that placed blacks on the bottom, apparently even lower than the "lowly" native American. There is no way in hell that black people should be in position anywhere in this country where they are dependent on native Americans in this manner. This is absolutely absurd. Steps must be taken to make blacks whole in this country.

I think the biggest problem that plagues this country is the shameful history of its treatment of black people and continued racism and mistreatment of blacks. This treatment and the hierarchy that continues to negatively impact blacks has had a devastating effect on blacks, contributing to greater self-destructive behavior, higher criminal tendencies, lower educational achievement focus, greater distractions from the hardships that racism imposes, and the continuing struggle to make a life while being given less consideration as a matter of course. Black people are an incredibly talented, gifted, proud, and noble people of great resolve, strength, and dignity. Time to honor these people and elevate them, so they can take their proper place, and help this country progress.

I think reparations are in order. The indifference of those who currently and indirectly benefit from the evil that devastated successive generations of descendants of slaves, must be ignored. Time to make black people in this country whole. This should include financial compensation of such a magnitude that it immunes blacks from the effects of racism and white privilege. It should include educational incentives that enable every black person to obtain the highest of degrees in every field from the best universities in the world. It should include programs to help those blacks whose lives have been decimated by racism, transition into a life of high educational achievement, great wealth, and enlightenment. It should include a mechanism to provides qualified blacks with a majority share of every major corporation in this country. So on and so forth.

Absolutely ludicrous this notion that a native American tribe can exclude blacks from its ranks, subjecting them to further hardships or reduced benefits.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:04 AM

14,640 posts, read 14,519,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Absolutely ludicrous this notion that a native American tribe can exclude blacks from its ranks, subjecting them to further hardships or reduced benefits.
Firstly, this issue is noone's business but the tribe and (former) tribe members affected.

Secondly, ever consider the reverse to be true? Black America has been moving upward in recent decades, while American Indians, especially on the reservations, continue to experience the most hardships of any ethnic group.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
People of every race and ethnicity have held slaves of every race and ethnicity they conquered or kidnapped from. Blacks in Africa hold white and black slaves even to this day, especially the Muslims since the Koran endorses and regulates slavery of kafirs. Wealthy blacks (and Indians of course) sometimes held white indentured servants or black slaves in pre-Emancipation America. Indians were known to hold white, black, and Indian slaves through kidnappings and warfare. Just so we're clear on that - until a coupla hundred years ago everyone was doing it! Even the Bible had messages purportedly from God that allowed parents to sell their children off in slavery under certain circumstances.

What's interesting to me is the very large percentage of Cherokees that voted to get rid of blacks - what was it, 76%? There must not have been much interbreeding in all those years for them to be so intolerant, which is unusual. Perhaps the Cherokee blacks moved away from traditional indian lifestyles and values, and more toward mainstream American urban black culture, whose lifestyles are both feared and annoying to the older people of many ethnicities - at least in the modern era.

In other words, if Cherokee blacks have become like African American blacks, maybe the parents of traditional Cherokee children are worried that they will become like African Americans.
Makes me wonder if Cherokees themselves are still like that
Didn't they give any reasons as to why they want to get rid of them now? Blaming the blacks based on mere speculation seems a bit unfair to me...
Indians are far from being angels, just like any other ethnic group.

Here it says that, in theory, they are also trying to kick out others who are not genetically related to Cherokees...
http://www.thegrio.com/news/is-the-c...ots.php?page=1
Interesting comments...

Last edited by Neuling; 09-15-2011 at 06:22 AM..

Old 09-15-2011, 08:06 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,285,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Firstly, this issue is noone's business but the tribe and (former) tribe members affected.

Secondly, ever consider the reverse to be true? Black America has been moving upward in recent decades, while American Indians, especially on the reservations, continue to experience the most hardships of any ethnic group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Here it says that, in theory, they are also trying to kick out others who are not genetically related to Cherokees...
Is the Cherokee Nation cutting off its black roots?
Interesting comments...
Seems they are consistant. Whatever their reasons, it's their choice.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,466,176 times
Time for another speech.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day, down on the reservation, with its vicious racists, with its tribal leader having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there on the reservation, little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little Native American boys and Native American girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.

This is our hope. This is the faith that I go back to the reservation with. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.

This will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with a new meaning, "My tribe, 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, land of the Indian's pride, from every mountainside, let freedom ring."

And if the Cherokee nation is to be a great nation this must become true. So let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire. Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York. Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania!

Let freedom ring from the snowcapped Rockies of Colorado!

Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of California!

But not only that; let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia!

Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee!

Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi. From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

And when this happens, when we allow freedom to ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and Native American men, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

Old 09-15-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Seems they are consistant. Whatever their reasons, it's their choice.
If they really were an independent nation, one might argue that way. But they are not, in some way they are a part of the US, which raises the question if such a bluntly racist (against all members not of Cherokee blood) behavior is OK.

I think if those tribes want to have their own, ethnicity-based (which is an illusion anyway) nations, they should not only enjoy the privileges and rights associated with such a nation, but also pay the price for it, namely be stripped of their US citizenship with all the consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies