Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 10:27 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,986,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee is threatening school officials across the state to not include anything Christian in their holiday celebrations.
Correct.

The ACLU is here opposing the government of Tennessee.

They are not opposing private, individual actions but those of the government. Per the Establishment Clause of Amendment I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 10:28 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
And the irony is that these are usually the same folks who claim to be great Defenders of the Constitution!
Yeah, and they're also not known for their apprection of irony either.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:29 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Ignorance is bliss, I guess...

ACLU of Colorado Supports Students Wearing Christian Symbols in the Colorado Springs School District

ACLU-NJ Defends Christian Student's Anti-Abortion Speech

ACLU of Tennessee Defends Christian Students' Right to Preach in Public Park

ACLU of Virginia Defends Christian Students' Right to Protest Against ACLU at Public School

ACLU Defends Christian Students Wearing Anti-Islam Shirts to Florida Public School

ACLU Fights For Christian Inmate's Right to Preach

ACLU of Northern California Fights Law that Got Quakers Fired Over Loyalty Oath

ACLU Defends Christian Librarian Disciplined for Refusing to Promote Harry Potter

ACLU Defends Right of Individual Christian to Display Nativity Scene on Public Property

ACLU Defends Christians Protesting Gay Rights in Florida

ACLU Champions Religious Freedom Of Mormon College Student

ACLU Fights for Christian Church's Mission to Feed the Poor

ACLU Fights for Christmas Tree

ACLU Files Suit to Protect Free Speech Rights of Christian Protesting Wal-Mart's Policy on Gays

ACLU of Georgia and Baptist Church File Religious Discrimination Lawsuit

ACLU of Rhode Island Files Appeal on Behalf of Christian Prisoner Barred from Preaching at Religious Services

ACLU of Michigan Defends Catholic Man Coerced to Convert to Pentecostal Faith in Drug Rehab Program

ACLU of New Jersey Joins Lawsuit Supporting Second-Grader's Right to Sing "Awesome God" at Talent Show

After ACLU Intervention on Behalf of Christian Valedictorian, Michigan High School Agrees to Stop Censoring Religious Yearbook Entries

ACLU Helps Free New Mexico Street Preacher From Prison

ACLU of WA Wins Right of Christian Minister to Preach in Spokane Plaza

ACLU Fights for Baptist Preacher in Illinois

ACLU Defends Rights of Christian Group to Make Religious Protest at Funerals

ACLU Backs Christian Abortion Protester in Ohio

ACLU of Oregon Defends Religious Liberty Of Adventist School Boys Basketball Players

ACLU Backs Missouri Nurse Penalized for Wearing Cross-Shaped Lapel Pin

ACLU Defends Christian Street Preacher in Las Vegas

ACLU Argues for Legal Recognition of Small Christian Church

ACLU of MA Defends Students Punished for Distributing Candy Canes with Religious Messages

ACLU of Nebraska Defends Church Facing Eviction by the City of Lincoln

ACLU Defends Church's Right to Run "Anti-Santa" Ads in Boston Subways

ACLU Defends Inmate's Access to Material from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Following Threat of ACLU of Virginia Lawsuit, Officials to Agree Not to Ban Baptisms in Public Parks

ACLU Defends Families Fighting Removal Of Religious Symbols from Florida Cemetery

ACLU Supports Right of Iowa Students to Distribute Christian Literature at School

ACLU Argument In Support of the Display of a Christian Cross in a Public Forum

ACLU Defends Christian Worker Required to Remove Bible from Desk at Government Job

ACLU Defends Free Speech Rights of Christians And Others On Main Street Plaza

ACLU Defends Prisoner's Rosary Beads

ACLU Defends Christian Group's Anti-Abortion Ads On Phoenix Buses

ACLU Pledges to Back Church in a Zoning Battle

ACLU of PA Files Discrimination Lawsuit Over Denial of Zoning Permit for African American Baptist Church

ACLU Offers To Represent Private Prayer on Public Property and

ACLU Joins Falwell To Fight For Church Incorporation Rights

Someone send this to the "fair and balanced" clowns at FOX. Christmas is coming - time for Fox's usual faux outrage about christians under attack.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:31 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Actually, I don't pull the same conclusion from the article as the OP does.

It depends on the definition of "defend." If the ACLU is putting its monetary and legal resources into "defending" this person in a court of law, then I could see how the word "defend" could be used.

However, I don't necessarily see that happening, at least not the way the article is worded. It sounds more like to me they are "defending" him in principle only through verbal acknowledgement. That's not exactly doing much. Anyone can defend the guy in that manner.

Does anyone have a more conclusive article?
Still waiting for someone to correct me if i'm wrong.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:33 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
I don't understand your post or the conclusion you've claimed I reached in the initial post that you disagree with.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:37 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I don't understand your post or the conclusion you've claimed I reached in the initial post that you disagree with.
The title of the OP uses the word "defend." From what i've read in the article, it doesn't sound like the ACLU is actually "defending" the teacher, unless we're using the watered down version of the word "defend" by issuing a statement in his defense.

It seems that both sides in this thread are in an uproar over the ACLU defending Christians, when this doesn't look like a case of that at all. I don't see anything that suggests they've invested resources in this guy's case. Anyone can issue a statement in defense. But what does it actually do?

Old 08-25-2011, 10:41 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
And the irony is that these are usually the same folks who claim to be great Defenders of the Constitution!
That's the unintentional humor.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:43 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
I don't believe there is a court case yet. The school district is only performing an investigation. I think that the ACLU position is, and perhaps the position of others, that if the district fires or otherwise punishes the teacher then the teacher probably would have good case against the school/district.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:44 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
The 'defense' you're looking for is spewed daily by Focus On The Family, The American Family Association, and Westboro Church.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:44 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I don't believe there is a court case yet. The school district is only performing an investigation. I think that the ACLU position is, and perhaps the position of others, that if the district fires or otherwise punishes the teacher then the teacher probably would have good case against the school/district.
Which he would.

Even if the ACLU does "defend" this guy, it's not the content of his opinions that they are defending. It's his right to have them.

Some people have the hardest time grasping this concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies