Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:16 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Do you feel the same about cigarettes? I mean, you can't overdose on them, they are a natural plant.. People don't like being around those who are smoking cigarettes....
Tobacco is a natural plant. Corporately manufactured cigarettes are filled with thousands of addictive toxins additives and poisons without any regard to public health.
But when corporations make cigarettes, alcohol, prescription drugs it is apparently fine because they are too big and powerful to go up against. But something such as marijuana, where entrepreneurship possibilities are endless for the individual it is considered illegal. People don't realize the positive effects legalization could have on our economy. But why help the middle class by opening up a Billion dollar industry where anyone can succeed in when you can further help the rich get richer by keeping it illegal and keeping people addicted to presciption pills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 10:19 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Tobacco is a natural plant. Corporately manufactured cigarettes are filled with thousands of addictive toxins additives and poisons without any regard to public health.
But when corporations make cigarettes, tobacco, alcohol, prescription drugs it is apparently fine because they are too big and powerful to go up against. But something such as marijuana, where entrepreneurship possibilities are endless for the individual it is considered illegal. People don't realize the positive effects legalization could have on our economy. But why help the middle class by opening up a Billion dollar industry where anyone can succeed in when you can further help the rich get richer by keeping it illegal and keeping people addicted to presciption pills?

Keep going. You're on a roll! Prohibition of pot is based on nothing but lies and propaganda such as "Reefer Madness."

Old 10-25-2011, 10:29 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,521,612 times
Don't care about the big "pain clinic" issue in FL. Have read about it for years, how it's supposedly a big "problem" there. DEA are the bad guys to me, as usual. Nobody put a gun to these drug addicts head and made them scoff down drugs. They did it to themselves.

If their addicted state has made them negligent in some way such that they are not fulfilling a legal obligation (e.g. child neglect, engaging in crime, perhaps embezzling away the families money to support their habit, etc...), then legally address it on that end since that is where the actual wrong is insofar as imposing negative externality [harm] on others.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:55 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,140,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Don't care about the big "pain clinic" issue in FL. Have read about it for years, how it's supposedly a big "problem" there. DEA are the bad guys to me, as usual. Nobody put a gun to these drug addicts head and made them scoff down drugs. They did it to themselves.

If their addicted state has made them negligent in some way such that they are not fulfilling a legal obligation (e.g. child neglect, engaging in crime, perhaps embezzling away the families money to support their habit, etc...), then legally address it on that end since that is where the actual wrong is insofar as imposing negative externality [harm] on others.

the pain clinic problem is a problem because it makes it so easy to get the drugs. and it is a big, big problem here.

i can see what you say about screw the junkies, however its much bigger than that. its all the innocent that are victims of crimes they commit. its their spouses and kids.

then there are those that did not choose this. they ended up hooked because of the pain killer use after surgery. they had no knowledge of what they were prescribed and trusted their physicians. unless you have been thru the surgery and post surgery use you cannot comment.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:59 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,140,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
many, many get hooked on pain killers

be it ty3, percs, or valuim

the key is to take as little as possible

after I was injured in Iraq, I could have easily gotten hooked on that crap..but I have a high pain tollerance and dont like to take too many meds if possible

my script said 1-2 every 4 hours...I would take 1/2 every 8 hours and just deal with the pain.....
thanks for your service.

good for you for reconizing the evil in the drugs.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:59 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,156,795 times
There are good reasons for oxycontin to be prescribed, mainly for those whose pain is not ever expected to get better before death. It's a quality of life issue, addiction is the price to be paid for not being in pain the rest of one's life, and it's a very good trade-off and welcomed by those people.

Also, there's no high except if the drugs are taken by someone in actual pain, and taken as prescribed (for some reason even though the true pain goes away, so does the high).

Unfortunately drug salesmen are VERY good at what they do, they dress sharply and exude professionalism. They also are good at detecting weak-minded and unethical physicians. So those doctors buy the "quality of life" argument even for people whose pain will get better and who have lives to live. It really should be restricted to people for whom the pain won't ever go away.

And no, for those who are into alternative medicine, none of that stuff comes close to opiates for real pain relief except acupuncture, but that only works for a very few people (ironically by stimulating the body's natural opiates, which might turn out to be just as addictive!). I've been involved in that, and there ARE things that alternative medicine such as herbs or dietary changes will help with, but not crippling pain.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:31 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,126,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApothecaryJohnCan'tSkip View Post
EXCUSE ME for my ideals, but a potent, physically and psychologically-addicting opioid like oxycodone should NOT be prescribed so easily that a doctor's office would make a STAMP for it!
That is truly mindboggling.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,084 times
Interestingly people who legitimately begin pain management e.g. failed back syndrome after a back surgery have to keep taking more and more pain medicine and that opens up new receptors in their brains causing more pain. Not a really good trade off ... ending up with the same level of pain and losing your personality in the process.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:37 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,013 times
There is another side to the story.

I take MS-Contin, a slow release form of morphine. I take up to 60mgs a day, and sometimes have to take percoset with it.

Of course, there is the joint damage and pain when I don't. Want to know MY definition of pain, (and I have a high tolerance, in fact walked on a broken ankle for almost a week, before it annoyed me enough to have it looked at), Real pain is when you have to go to the bathroom, but the ONLY way to accomplish it, is to rol out of bed, and crawl to the bathroom, and then try to pull yourself up, because your knees and ankles have been so badly torn up.

On the meds, I can move around, but if I have been sitting for awhile, I have to stand slowly, and acclimate myself to the pain, before moving.

On days I don't have to work, I can reduce the meds quite a bit, because I can just sit around the house and not have to move.

I have never gotten ill from not taking the meds, but you would assume that not to be the case due to the amount I do take. I try not to take any more than I have to, but again, the desire to be able to move around, go outside, go to work, means I will have to.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:17 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
When it comes to drugs, not all are created equal. Opiates are extremely dangerous and addictive. The danger is not exaggerated like pot or even cocaine....
There is nothing in my personal observations, nor in reading that would incline me to consider that the addicting factor of cocaine is not extremely high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies