Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 01:58 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
When they pay for the tickets, it is up to them to decide what the tickets are for, and what not.
And it makes sense for the authorities to try and keep kids away from anything gun-related. It's not the US after all... I know it is hard to understand for Americans, but we don't want our cities and societies to be anything like in the US.
True, many of our cities are awash with corrupt, money wasting political machines along with too many violent criminal elements who should be in prison, not roaming among the law abiding.

That said, after what just played out in some English cities recently, I don't envy what they're having to deal with. I'd hate to be a small businessman who is considered "rich" and as such ripe for being assaulted, robbed and burned out.

Last edited by doc1; 08-26-2011 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: spellin'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 02:06 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
If kid's parents want them to go to gun related events then I am sure they will buy them tickets.

After all, there is always a rush of kids wanting to go to Bisley.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:10 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Yes, I feel the same way, just the other way round
The interesting thing about our...cultural disparities ...here is that neither of us would survive long if we were to trade places. The antiseptic society you claim to live in would be purgatory for a man like me and you, in turn, would die before defending yourself from a prowling mountain lion on the north forty.
Either from lack of skill or will, no matter, lion lunch. Me I would end up wrapped in a nut coat in a rubber room for lack of any independence and self sufficiency in watching out for my family and my own safety.
You see, many places in the US are still VERY remote and wild. I live in such a place and can depend on no one but myself for immediate aid in any circumstance. We have to defend ourselves from both two and four legged predators and varmints when they pop up thus our needs differ drastically from yours.
We can no more picture a life without skill at arms than you seem to picture with such skill. Personally, such skill is better to have and not need than need and not have. Verily, if I were you, I would hope not to put that to the test.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:39 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The interesting thing about our...cultural disparities ...here is that neither of us would survive long if we were to trade places. The antiseptic society you claim to live in would be purgatory for a man like me and you, in turn, would die before defending yourself from a prowling mountain lion on the north forty.
Either from lack of skill or will, no matter, lion lunch. Me I would end up wrapped in a nut coat in a rubber room for lack of any independence and self sufficiency in watching out for my family and my own safety.
You see, many places in the US are still VERY remote and wild. I live in such a place and can depend on no one but myself for immediate aid in any circumstance. We have to defend ourselves from both two and four legged predators and varmints when they pop up thus our needs differ drastically from yours.
We can no more picture a life without skill at arms than you seem to picture with such skill. Personally, such skill is better to have and not need than need and not have. Verily, if I were you, I would hope not to put that to the test.
As far as I know there are no dangerous animals in Britain or anywhere else in Europe, except maybe a few bears in natural parks where hardly anyone is allowed to live anyway. Nor would I want to live in the wilderness, I don't want to have anything to do with bears, lions, alligators and such beasts... Sometimes I feel so out of time and place when I think of such animals and certain people, as if I had come to earth on board of a spaceship or from the future via a time machine. The primitive nature of earth and earthlings kind of hurts and insults me...

Old 08-26-2011, 02:42 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
True, many of our cities are awash with corrupt, money wasting political machines along with too many violent criminal elements who should be in prison, not roaming among the law abiding.

That said, after what just played out in some English cities recently, I don't envy what they're having to deal with. I'd hate to be a small businessman who is considered "rich" and as such ripe for being assaulted, robbed and burned out.
I assume such riots will continue to happen from time to time. There have been similar riots in the US, like for instance in L.A. years ago.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,075 times
Some Europeans think it is important to protect their society and children from guns and gun violence.

Some Americans think it is important to protect their society and children from Harry Potter and condoms.

It seems to me like it is not the UK that has their priorities a little mixed up.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:33 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
As far as I know there are no dangerous animals in Britain or anywhere else in Europe, except maybe a few bears in natural parks where hardly anyone is allowed to live anyway. Nor would I want to live in the wilderness, I don't want to have anything to do with bears, lions, alligators and such beasts... Sometimes I feel so out of time and place when I think of such animals and certain people, as if I had come to earth on board of a spaceship or from the future via a time machine. The primitive nature of earth and earthlings kind of hurts and insults me...
In stark contrast, I have never felt so alive than when I have had to face danger. I got no pleasure from having to take out after stock killing cats but one in particular brought my own mortallity straight to my attention and the feeling of still being alive after the encounter is indescribable.
Primitive? Perhaps to certain folks but we had it to do. Thus martial contests hold an allure for us. If England and Europe feel above such things more power to ya. I would not trade our life here in the open NV desert for love nor money nor "feeling safe". At the end of the day those who are safe were made so by those who risked all to make it happen.By the same token that safety is kept by those who choose to risk all to keep it.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:54 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
We don't like guns over here in Europe, we don't want them, we don't need them *shrug* Get over it already
that's the reason Europe is susceptible to crazy people like Hitler. when you do deicide you need them and decide to use them millions of people would have been killed.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:57 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Britannia now a nation of Cuckolds.
Do you even know what "cuckold" means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I wonder if the use of light personal armor that will stop a knife thrust is common in Britain. Or is that illegal as well? I would not be surprised if they were.
Actually body armor is indeed illegal in many countries. It's illegal in Australia for instance.

That is why it is obvious it is about control not public safety. Body armor is defensive, not offensive and yet the punishment is similar as an illegal firearm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Well whatdya know? The same thing is happening in Canada as well, despite having the requirement that ALL firearms must be registered throughout Canada
To be fair, most provinces willfully ignore that law. For all intents and purposes that law is null and void in most of the country.

Quote:
Maybe BECAUSE of their history. Europeans have had wars thousands of years before the US even existed, I guess all in all we are a bit tired of fighting. The US is still like a rebel teenager, we Europeans are more like mature senior citizens
And thanks to the ease of travel, communication etc. we can analyze the US and arrive at the conclusion that that is what we definitely don't want.
With your aging population and far below replacement rate breeding, you guys will mostly be senior citizens in a few decades.

Funny how Europeans look down on Americans as savages. Funny from a region when the only time it is not murderous is when it is impotent.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:22 AM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
There are also Americans who want gun bans, it's not just me.

I am not a big fan of Paris, but when someone drags it through the mud in order to make a ridiculous claim regarding European cities as a whole, it is only fair to mention places such as Detroit on the other side of the Atlantic.

As far as I can see, gun laws function well in Europe. An occasional shooting involving illegal weapons doesn't change a thing about that. Places like Germany will never allow arms, and I support that. Guns are just not the civilized way of solving problems in the 21st century in my view.
IMO, you are being very naive.

Maybe you need to do some research.

As long as there are bad people, and there will ALWAYS be, self defense is your best chance.

Home*|*The Armed Citizen

Read some of these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies