U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2011, 08:41 AM
 
768 posts, read 551,423 times
Reputation: 326
Default Wealth Disparities in America

"Americans know there are significant disparities of wealth, between small numbers of extremely wealthy Americans and the rest of us – the 99% who do not have extreme wealth. The 400 wealthiest Americans have wealth equal to 150 million Americans. This richest 400, whose average income was $270.5 million, paid a tax rate of 18%; yet someone who earns $60,000 finds themselves in the 25% tax bracket…" from October2011.org./standwiththemajority.(emphasis mine)


You know, I don't think anyone would have problems with their being wealthy individuals if everyone had enough. Why would I care if someone had millions more than me if I knew that all people were guaranteed well paying, meaningful jobs, affordable or free college education, adequate and affordable health care, enough food so as to never suffer malnutrition or food anxiety, a home to call their own that could never be foreclosed upon and the knowledge that they could retire comfortably and enjoy their golden years. BUT, and it is a BIG BUT, that is not the reality in this country today nor in the world at large. And that is why these enormous disparities in wealth MUST NOT be tolerated!!

But what will our lawmakers do? They'll do the wrong thing as usual. Instead of ensuring that everyone has enough even if it means (and it will) redistribution of wealth, the government will suppress uprisings due to inequality by arresting people and throwing them in jail. If someone steals a loaf of bread because they and their families are starving, they will arrest that person. Because the profits of the food market are protected by "law" but our empty stomachs are not (why isn't hunger illegal or homelessness illegal?).Did it ever occur to them that the unrest could be eliminated in a day if everyone had enough.

And the lie that there is not enough has been exposed. People aren't starving, or homeless, or without medical care because there isn't enough. They are without because the wealthiest 10 percent of the population have 2/3 (73%) of the wealth while the 90% of the rest of us have to fight for the remaining 1/3 (27%). And fight is there operative word here. We fight amongst ourselves and look for scapegoats like "illegal aliens" or "welfare mothers." Trust me, those people aren't the problem. No, we should be directing all our anger, rage, and vitriol at that 10% who have so much more than they could spend in a hundred lifetimes. And the government that allows this and even taxes these greedy leaches at a lower rate with the EXCUSE that these wealthy few are the job creators. Well, perhaps they are job creators…….for China! With unemployment at 10% and expected to rise, we no longer need to be giving these wealthy individuals lower tax rates.

However, we shouldn't look to the government to tax these super wealthy people or cut military spending. No, they would rather cut or eliminate benefits to the people, again because the PEOPLE ARE NOT WHO THEY SERVE. I believe what Chris Hedges says. The institutions that were designed to protect us have sold out to the corporate and financial elite. Our only recourse is civil disobedience. We owe no allegiance to the government as they have abandoned their allegiance to the people. When and if they begin to represent US again, then we can again return our allegiance and support. In the meantime, we must do whatever we can to frustrate the plans of the corporate elite and the government. Non-cooperation, providing false information, tax resistance, and non-participation are all peaceful ways to help weaken the apparatus that has us miserable, destitute and enslaved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2011, 08:43 AM
 
13,454 posts, read 4,691,545 times
Reputation: 5901
Because libs can't survive without a class warfare boogie monster to scare voters to their corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 08:46 AM
 
2,721 posts, read 1,996,447 times
Reputation: 1256
get a job and quit whining
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 08:47 AM
 
19,300 posts, read 15,021,825 times
Reputation: 7848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consent Withdrawn View Post
"Americans know there are significant disparities of wealth, between small numbers of extremely wealthy Americans and the rest of us – the 99% who do not have extreme wealth. The 400 wealthiest Americans have wealth equal to 150 million Americans. This richest 400, whose average income was $270.5 million, paid a tax rate of 18%; yet someone who earns $60,000 finds themselves in the 25% tax bracket…" from October2011.org./standwiththemajority.(emphasis mine)


You know, I don't think anyone would have problems with their being wealthy individuals if everyone had enough. Why would I care if someone had millions more than me if I knew that all people were guaranteed well paying, meaningful jobs, affordable or free college education, adequate and affordable health care, enough food so as to never suffer malnutrition or food anxiety, a home to call their own that could never be foreclosed upon and the knowledge that they could retire comfortably and enjoy their golden years. BUT, and it is a BIG BUT, that is not the reality in this country today nor in the world at large. And that is why these enormous disparities in wealth MUST NOT be tolerated!!

But what will our lawmakers do? They'll do the wrong thing as usual. Instead of ensuring that everyone has enough even if it means (and it will) redistribution of wealth, the government will suppress uprisings due to inequality by arresting people and throwing them in jail. If someone steals a loaf of bread because they and their families are starving, they will arrest that person. Because the profits of the food market are protected by "law" but our empty stomachs are not (why isn't hunger illegal or homelessness illegal?).Did it ever occur to them that the unrest could be eliminated in a day if everyone had enough.

And the lie that there is not enough has been exposed. People aren't starving, or homeless, or without medical care because there isn't enough. They are without because the wealthiest 10 percent of the population have 2/3 (73%) of the wealth while the 90% of the rest of us have to fight for the remaining 1/3 (27%). And fight is there operative word here. We fight amongst ourselves and look for scapegoats like "illegal aliens" or "welfare mothers." Trust me, those people aren't the problem. No, we should be directing all our anger, rage, and vitriol at that 10% who have so much more than they could spend in a hundred lifetimes. And the government that allows this and even taxes these greedy leaches at a lower rate with the EXCUSE that these wealthy few are the job creators. Well, perhaps they are job creators…….for China! With unemployment at 10% and expected to rise, we no longer need to be giving these wealthy individuals lower tax rates.

However, we shouldn't look to the government to tax these super wealthy people or cut military spending. No, they would rather cut or eliminate benefits to the people, again because the PEOPLE ARE NOT WHO THEY SERVE. I believe what Chris Hedges says. The institutions that were designed to protect us have sold out to the corporate and financial elite. Our only recourse is civil disobedience. We owe no allegiance to the government as they have abandoned their allegiance to the people. When and if they begin to represent US again, then we can again return our allegiance and support. In the meantime, we must do whatever we can to frustrate the plans of the corporate elite and the government. Non-cooperation, providing false information, tax resistance, and non-participation are all peaceful ways to help weaken the apparatus that has us miserable, destitute and enslaved.
Get your own money.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
32,923 posts, read 26,410,850 times
Reputation: 14900
Don't want their heads. Just want them to share the money they stole through monopolys, crooked markets and buying politicians. Why is that too much to ask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 08:50 AM
 
19,300 posts, read 15,021,825 times
Reputation: 7848
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Don't want their heads. Just want them to share the money they stole through monopolys, crooked markets and buying politicians. Why is that too much to ask?
LOL..want'n ain't get'n.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
32,923 posts, read 26,410,850 times
Reputation: 14900
Get enough voters to realize big business and the very upper class has robbed them blind and "wantin' can be 'gettin".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 08:57 AM
 
19,300 posts, read 15,021,825 times
Reputation: 7848
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Get enough voters to realize big business and the very upper class has robbed them blind and "wantin' can be 'gettin".
We'll see....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 09:18 AM
 
1,069 posts, read 351,191 times
Reputation: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consent Withdrawn View Post
"Americans know there are significant disparities of wealth, between small numbers of extremely wealthy Americans and the rest of us – the 99% who do not have extreme wealth. The 400 wealthiest Americans have wealth equal to 150 million Americans. This richest 400, whose average income was $270.5 million, paid a tax rate of 18%; yet someone who earns $60,000 finds themselves in the 25% tax bracket…" from October2011.org./standwiththemajority.(emphasis mine)


You know, I don't think anyone would have problems with their being wealthy individuals if everyone had enough. Why would I care if someone had millions more than me if I knew that all people were guaranteed well paying, meaningful jobs, affordable or free college education, adequate and affordable health care, enough food so as to never suffer malnutrition or food anxiety, a home to call their own that could never be foreclosed upon and the knowledge that they could retire comfortably and enjoy their golden years. BUT, and it is a BIG BUT, that is not the reality in this country today nor in the world at large. And that is why these enormous disparities in wealth MUST NOT be tolerated!!

But what will our lawmakers do? They'll do the wrong thing as usual. Instead of ensuring that everyone has enough even if it means (and it will) redistribution of wealth, the government will suppress uprisings due to inequality by arresting people and throwing them in jail. If someone steals a loaf of bread because they and their families are starving, they will arrest that person. Because the profits of the food market are protected by "law" but our empty stomachs are not (why isn't hunger illegal or homelessness illegal?).Did it ever occur to them that the unrest could be eliminated in a day if everyone had enough.

And the lie that there is not enough has been exposed. People aren't starving, or homeless, or without medical care because there isn't enough. They are without because the wealthiest 10 percent of the population have 2/3 (73%) of the wealth while the 90% of the rest of us have to fight for the remaining 1/3 (27%). And fight is there operative word here. We fight amongst ourselves and look for scapegoats like "illegal aliens" or "welfare mothers." Trust me, those people aren't the problem. No, we should be directing all our anger, rage, and vitriol at that 10% who have so much more than they could spend in a hundred lifetimes. And the government that allows this and even taxes these greedy leaches at a lower rate with the EXCUSE that these wealthy few are the job creators. Well, perhaps they are job creators…….for China! With unemployment at 10% and expected to rise, we no longer need to be giving these wealthy individuals lower tax rates.

However, we shouldn't look to the government to tax these super wealthy people or cut military spending. No, they would rather cut or eliminate benefits to the people, again because the PEOPLE ARE NOT WHO THEY SERVE. I believe what Chris Hedges says. The institutions that were designed to protect us have sold out to the corporate and financial elite. Our only recourse is civil disobedience. We owe no allegiance to the government as they have abandoned their allegiance to the people. When and if they begin to represent US again, then we can again return our allegiance and support. In the meantime, we must do whatever we can to frustrate the plans of the corporate elite and the government. Non-cooperation, providing false information, tax resistance, and non-participation are all peaceful ways to help weaken the apparatus that has us miserable, destitute and enslaved.
And who cares..there is plenty of money to go around..come up with an idea or start a business and the wealthy will be glad to buy your product.
What business is it of yours to try and take some one elses money through higher taxes..sounds like a leach to me...give me your money, I don't have it and I want it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 09:20 AM
 
15,837 posts, read 4,739,797 times
Reputation: 3765
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Get enough voters to realize big business and the very upper class has robbed them blind and "wantin' can be 'gettin".
Greg, please explain how anyone besides the government is stealing from YOU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top