Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 02:11 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
They are mainly less intelligent beings, but they are human and could be and ought to be better. If I thought them inhuman, I would compare them to a motor vehicle perhaps, like harborlady did, and excuse them from having to consider questions of right and wrong. But I will not.
I thought her analogy would be over your head about 30,000 feet and climbing.
Thank you for confirming that.
Do you feel the same way about your local police and sheriffs department?

Old 08-26-2011, 03:09 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
^^^^Yes, because isolationism has always worked so well for us in the past, hasnt it?
how great is globalism!

inflation rocking the world
our currency depreciating
jobs exported
social service costs increasing
unemployment rising (but who needs it with a jobless recovery!)
standard of living dropping
savings being depleted
debt load increasing

but, on the other hand, the ultra wealthy are making lots of money on the wars so we do have that going for us......

Old 08-26-2011, 03:19 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
They are mainly less intelligent beings, but they are human and could be and ought to be better. If I thought them inhuman, I would compare them to a motor vehicle perhaps, like harborlady did, and excuse them from having to consider questions of right and wrong. But I will not.
i have to agree with harbor lady about the soldiers. they are (mostly) young and they are mostly profoundly patriotic.

it is an admirable quality to love your country and see the good in it, even if it is exploited by those in power.

it then does become our job to bring the circus to an end by pointing out the idiocy of policy, and bringing those soldiers home.

i want good patriotic people in our own country, protecting us here.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
how great is globalism!

inflation rocking the world
our currency depreciating
jobs exported
social service costs increasing
unemployment rising (but who needs it with a jobless recovery!)
standard of living dropping
savings being depleted
debt load increasing

but, on the other hand, the ultra wealthy are making lots of money on the wars so we do have that going for us......
Its rather naive to think that isolationism would reverse the things you listed.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:25 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,865,092 times
[quote=JohKnip;20611080
Why do we (anyone) continue to think war = peace?[/QUOTE]

. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” Martin Luther King,Jr

Old 08-26-2011, 04:18 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I thought her analogy would be over your head about 30,000 feet and climbing.
No, I understood her analogy better than she did. I certainly grasp its implications more than she does, and I recoil from them.

She's not the first to compare soldiers to machines: Thoreau did the same thing in Civil Disobedience in 1848. Thoreau's evaluation (and mine) of a human being being reduced to the level of a machine are, of course, different from hers.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:19 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
For money?

Go sit in a damp sand hole for three days until the skin on your @ss feels like last week's fettuccine alfredo then get back to me about money.

Don't like our military?

Go live with our "supposed enemy".
So you would have endured the misery of war, and risk to your life, for no compensation? You are telling me, you were there only because you believed in the cause? If the soldiers would work for free, then we could cut that defense bill tomorrow.
There is more to it than money, there is the comraderee, the belief that you are the good guys fighting evil, tests of your own strength and courage, social justice, might makes right, heroism and all that.
I have nothing against the military, and respect a soldiers service, I really do. I am just saying you are being used in a grand scheme of power hungry elitists, that don't really give a damn about you. I'd like to see our best and brightest stop prostituting themselves for the Empire. They are close to not needing you anymore. They will fight with robots, drones, unmanned aircraft, and bio-weapons. At some point, the soldiers become the clean up crew, to rebuild after the destruction has been accomplished. Your skills will be reduced to community organizing and carpentry.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:19 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i have to agree with harbor lady about the soldiers. they are (mostly) young and they are mostly profoundly patriotic.

it is an admirable quality to love our country and see the good in it, even if it is exploited by those in power.
It's not an admirable quality to be played for a fool and hide behind patriotism. It's not an admirable quality to sacrifice your life for lies. It's even less admirable to be willing to kill other human beings for lies.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
No, I understood her analogy better than she did. I certainly grasp its implications more than she does, and I recoil from them.

She's not the first to compare soldiers to machines: Thoreau did the same thing in Civil Disobedience in 1848. Thoreau's evaluation (and mine) of a human being being reduced to the level of a machine are, of course, different from hers.
You read too much into her analogy, therefore, you still did not understand it.
Perhaps you should go out and talk to some soldiers, and ex-soldiers, instead of just despising them, you might actually gain some insight, understanding, and most of all, some empathy and compassion for your fellow man.
Thoreau, really?

Old 08-26-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
It's not an admirable quality to be played for a fool and hide behind patriotism. It's not an admirable quality to sacrifice your life for lies. It's even less admirable to be willing to kill other human beings for lies.
Oy vey......-shakes head at the utter foolishness of some people-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies