Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 10:09 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
You know nothing of which you speak. Childless drug users? This testing applies to TANF recipients only.....one of the requirements for TANF assistance is you must have a child under the age of 18 in the household.
My mistake.

Quote:
What Scott and the neo-cons wanted was to get numbers like 15 or 20% so they could beat their chest and proudly proclaim "See I told you so". Since only 7 or 8% of people drug tested nationwide fail, 2% is an epic fail.
Except that it's not 2%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:11 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Yeah, about that...

Numbers show fewer people on welfare (http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/state/numbers-show-fewer-people-on-welfare-08252011 - broken link)

Ya think?

(In before "faux news" BS. It's a local affiliate suckas!)
All these years and billions and in the end welfare reform was so simple.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Now they need to test for nicotine and alcohol.

If you are so poor that you need someone else's money to get food, shelter, or health care, you sure as hell don't have a dime to spare for alcohol and cigs.
Alcohol and cigs are legal. What next test em for healthy food content in their meals. A poster said earlier wefare is a stop gap for those who fall on hard times which I have no problem with. It's not a lifestyle which I do have a problem with. Should we confiscate all their "cash on hand" and tell em where to spend it? No I don't think so.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Alcohol and cigs are legal. What next test em for healthy food content in their meals. A poster said earlier wefare is a stop gap for those who fall on hard times which I have no problem with. It's not a lifestyle which I do have a problem with. Should we confiscate all their "cash on hand" and tell em where to spend it? No I don't think so.
Or they might need to be required to attend non-profit run healthy cooking classes in order to receive any sort of assistance related to food. NOT run by government, as fraud would be much more rampant than do-gooders who will make sure these people attend or not get validated. The non-profit might test the welfare recipients as to their cooking prowess at the conclusion of the course.

Clinton decentralized welfare, effectively putting an end to it. Since then, it's been recentralized and it shows.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:32 AM

I'm a good cook. Maybe I'll start up an LLC and get a big gubmnt grant to teach folks how to boil up ramens? Not for profit of course but I'll need a fleet of vehicles and a new office, employees etc etc etc. lol

Old 08-26-2011, 10:38 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Yeah, about that...

Numbers show fewer people on welfare (http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/state/numbers-show-fewer-people-on-welfare-08252011 - broken link)

Ya think?

(In before "faux news" BS. It's a local affiliate suckas!)
We had a drop in unemployment due to oil clean up and the tourist season.

Why is it that people who don't live in Florida talk like they are experts on the fl economy?

Every year the welfare numbers drop for 6 months out of the year.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Why is it that people who don't live in Florida talk like they are experts on the fl economy?

It's possible that contributes some of the 15%, forgive me that I'm still skeptical since FL is still in the proverbial crapper.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:43 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
As a former caseworker I have a couple of questions

1. Do they take the test before they can apply or after? I asked because many people jump through the hoops to get cash but once they find out how little it is they change their minds, midway through the process

2. Are these people being taken off of TANF or prevented from being on TANF?

3. This % does not reflect the number of people that actually beat the drug test or the ones that will apply after their urine is clean?

Old 08-26-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
As a former caseworker I have a couple of questions

1. Do they take the test before they can apply or after? I asked because many people jump through the hoops to get cash but once they find out how little it is they change their minds, midway through the process

2. Are these people being taken off of TANF or prevented from being on TANF?

3. This % does not reflect the number of people that actually beat the drug test or the ones that will apply after their urine is clean?
I know a caseworker who was actually instructed to recommend structuring the client's pregnancies and telling them to explicitly state that the father was a deadbeat to maximize the amount of money from the system.

Does this occur in your neck of the woods?

Old 08-26-2011, 10:49 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,138,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

True, when the snowbirds come back any given restaruant will certainly need extra help. I'll occasionally wheel and deal stuff at the flea market and don't even bother trying to sell it until late October. What I'm noticing is even high turnover jobs like telemarketing or pizza delivery are hard to come by these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies