U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 05:03 PM

1,853 posts, read 2,028,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
The GOP may have control of the house, but people are disgusted with Congress in it's totality. That means every Democrat in it as well. You say the Tea "baggers" are going to get wiped out, but I think they will win even more seats in the Congress, even at the expense of their fellow Republicans.
From Study: Tea Party Is Least Popular Group

Democrats are held in better favor than the Republicans and.... the Tea Party is at the bottom.

From the site:
he first news that came out of the study, which was introduced by its authors — David E. Campbell, an associate professor of political science at Notre Dame, and Robert D. Putnam, a professor of public policy at Harvard, who are also the co-authors of the book, “American Grace: How Religion Divides and Unites Us” — in a New York Times’ piece titled, “Crashing the Tea Party,” was that they found yet more evidence that the most durable myth about the phenomenon — that it is a grassroots uprising of what Profs. Campbell and Putnam called “nonpartisan political neophytes” — is patently false.

Last edited by Bagger; 08-27-2011 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: Added chart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 05:06 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,464,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
The GOP may have control of the house, but people are disgusted with Congress in it's totality. That means every Democrat in it as well. You say the Tea "baggers" are going to get wiped out, but I think they will win even more seats in the Congress, even at the expense of their fellow Republicans.
Considering that the republicans have largely co-opted tea bagger ideas and ideals, I would say that the tea baggers *are* the problem for the republican party. The tea party might be popular in their staunchly conservative and wealthy and/or angry white districts, but that's about as far as the appeal goes; everyone else in the country has a dislike for them that ranges from 'irritated' to 'palpable, aneurysm-inducing hatred'.

I think that as more and more people learn about the tea party's dichotomy of protecting tax cuts for billionaires while ending tax cuts for the millions and millions of ordinary working class people who may actually notice this tax cut gone from their weekly paychecks, maybe more and more people might reconsider electing these loons to office.

As thoroughly disappointed as I have been with Obama for not standing up to the tea party during the debt ceiling fiasco, I wonder if he's not saving his best for last. Maybe he's setting a political trap for the republicans, one in which the super committee stalemates over this issue again, at which time the republicans will be exposed for being the gilded-age party, protecting some of the same billionaires who caused the joblessness in this country at the expense of working people - right as the election gets into full swing no less. Brilliant strategy if he can pull it off.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:26 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,180,936 times
lol, they left lapsed Catholics off that survey...again they are forgetting Independents and swing votes.

All they have to do to lose is put Boehner on tv again with his red angry face....that is NOT what we need in this nation....

Old 08-27-2011, 09:52 PM

48,897 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm sure you voted for Obama.
Actually, I did. I liked McCain better but with his age, Palin was the tie-breaker.
It's sad people like you can't grasp the concept of an independent.

It's REALLY pathetic that I'm supposed to lockstep support someone I voted for. Slave.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:46 PM

18,107 posts, read 16,448,492 times
You'll see a big turnover and weakening of both parties. The GOP may lose some seats but so will the democrats and Obama will be out, too. The primary elections will be the ones to watch to see how things go. If you see more independant minded candidates dominating in the parties, you'll know that partisan politics as we've known it are coming to an end.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:05 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,183,620 times
The poll is BS. Americans are not going to buy the Obama loving media's lies that Obama's complete failure as a president is because the Republicans have some vocal members in one house of congress that they control.

I continue to laugh at the idiocy of democrat/liberal sheep. Everything bad in 2006-2008 was Bush's fault, not the house and senate BOTH controlled by Dems. Everything bad for Obama's whole presidency is because Republicans control only the house for 7 months. It would be even more hilarious if it weren't for the shocking number of liberals believing the current Obama smear/blame deflection campaign. They are even more ignorant than I thought was possible.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:02 AM

6,237 posts, read 8,246,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Considering that the republicans have largely co-opted tea bagger ideas and ideals, I would say that the tea baggers *are* the problem for the republican party. The tea party might be popular in their staunchly conservative and wealthy and/or angry white districts, but that's about as far as the appeal goes; everyone else in the country has a dislike for them that ranges from 'irritated' to 'palpable, aneurysm-inducing hatred'.

I think that as more and more people learn about the tea party's dichotomy of protecting tax cuts for billionaires while ending tax cuts for the millions and millions of ordinary working class people who may actually notice this tax cut gone from their weekly paychecks, maybe more and more people might reconsider electing these loons to office.

As thoroughly disappointed as I have been with Obama for not standing up to the tea party during the debt ceiling fiasco, I wonder if he's not saving his best for last. Maybe he's setting a political trap for the republicans, one in which the super committee stalemates over this issue again, at which time the republicans will be exposed for being the gilded-age party, protecting some of the same billionaires who caused the joblessness in this country at the expense of working people - right as the election gets into full swing no less. Brilliant strategy if he can pull it off.
I doubt Obama is that politically astute. I've been very disappointed in him as well. But I do hope people do realize what the tea party is really all about. They're so bad, it makes me want to take back all the bad things I ever said about regular, centre right republicans in the past. I'd love to have them back compared to this current crop.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:16 AM

2,047 posts, read 1,300,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Looks like the Tea Party has overreached, more than anything I ever imagined. Talk about a sobering reality. For the zealots who frequent this board, as well as their heroes, time to wake up and smell the coffee.

After the downgrade, a direct result of the tea party's manufactured crisis and absolute refusal to compromise, America holds them responsible for this mess. Furthermore, while the tea party screams about the "will of the people", the citizens of this country CLEARLY want something other than what they are selling, including raising taxes to deal with our fiscal issues.

More bad news for the GOP:

AP-GfK Poll: 87% in US disapprove of Congress - Yahoo! News
polls really put me to sleep!!! I still say cut, and that means real cuts in spending before any tax increase. but I dont see any democrats willing to cut spending. so I will sopport the tea party untill the democrats spend the last penny!!!
it is the reponsibly thing to do. stop thowing away money down the toilet.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:21 AM

69,372 posts, read 53,599,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
From Study: Tea Party Is Least Popular Group

Democrats are held in better favor than the Republicans and.... the Tea Party is at the bottom.
Since your chart shows Obama having a 50% approval rating, I now call BS on the validity of your posting. Maybe you should read something other than your left wing hate sources and you wont be wrong so often.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:07 AM

41,314 posts, read 38,474,749 times
From the same poll, here's the one really in trouble - for some reason you forgot to mention;

The Associated Press: AP-GfK Poll: Obama faces trouble with key voters

AP-GfK Poll: Obama faces trouble with key voters

Lots and lots of trouble.

You see, the nation doesn't elect Congress. The nation can be unhappy with Congress, but still, each congressional member has to face constituents in their own district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies