Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 07:54 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Isn't it a little early to declare that there's nothing newsworthy about this hurricane?
It was not a hurricane it turned itnto a tropical storm and a medium one at that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 07:54 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
You sure got that right!
NYC NJ will be laughed at for this debacle
What debacle?

Since when has having people's best interests in mind a "debacle"?

Old 08-30-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Question- Do they even bury the power lines in these coastal states or do they just keep stringing em back up to be blown back over again next time around?
DUH bury your power line morons then you wont have mass outages from weakend trees with soaked ground falling down
all too much common sense for an electric company

heck today i read people were out taking casual jog during the storm
could not be that bad

alll the pictures for the most part are the floods in vt and nc
the rest of it was a little rain get over it east coast

Old 08-30-2011, 08:05 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
DUH bury your power line morons then you wont have mass outages from weakend trees with soaked ground falling down

could not be that bad

And you're in Chicago saying "it wasnt that bad'?
Oh, please!
Just how many hurricanes have you been through?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:32 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:

could not be that bad

You want to see photos of damage from places other than Vermont and North Carolina? Try this link: Hurricane Irene - The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com The estimated 7 to 10 billion dollars of damage done by Irene didn't just happen in VT and NC.

You know, it's real easy for someone sitting in the suburbs of Chicago to call others "morons" for not burying their power lines where you just run yours wires under the sidewalks. That's a piece of cake to engineer. But it's not so easy to bury them in more rural areas where houses are few and far between or the houses are all on older electrical grids that are waiting for major infrastructure improvements to work their way to their neighborhoods. We have underground wiring where I live and we still get power outages, just like everyone else.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:36 PM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:

could not be that bad

You sound completely ignorant. Thousands are still without power in NJ, a portion of a major interstate has caved in and the road is closed, and some people have five feet of water in their homes. People have lost their businesses and their jobs. Entire neighborhoods are still flooded. Maybe you should look at some more pictures, huh?

When you no longer have income or a home because of "a little rain" we'll laugh at you, too. My nieghbor has a wife and kid and no longer has a job because of this storm. Come over and laugh at him. He'll be home all day now, just stop by.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-30-2011 at 08:51 PM..

Old 08-30-2011, 09:48 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
B-b-but you posted:

Originally Posted by claudhopper
At this point, I have little confidence that this scenario wouldn't play out roughly the same tomorrow, with such a hurricane. State and local officials need to be more self-reliant, and not depend upon the Feds to come to the rescue. The gov't is just too bloated, too many chains of command, to be quick and efficient. I would also suggest more self-reliance on the part of the populace. The Feds are a back-up, not the primary first responders!
With this hurricane, which turned into a tropical storm, the warnings were well in advance. Coordination appeared adequate, and response was overkill considering the outcome. Perhaps now, we can dial down the panic over global warming. We have little to no control over the weather, we just have to learn to roll with it. How about not building in flood planes, or on hills that will dissolve into mud slides? If you choose to do so, it's at your own risk.""""

BTW, you haven't told me where that Disaster-Free place is where you live....
I live near the Sacramento River. Not likely to flood here, but with all the dams and reservoirs, and my lack of confidence in the authority's, it could happen. We are long overdue for an earthquake. I'm not near a fault line, but as you are aware, many have built right on it. We also have fires, where we do need outside help, but those too could be reduced in size with more aggressive local activity.

Ideally we should not be dependent upon federal gov't to come to our rescue, things are handled much more efficiently on a local level. Perhaps we could learn some lessons from Europe in flood prevention.

Quote:
Europe is at the forefront of the flood control technology, with low-lying countries such as the Netherlands developing techniques that can serve as examples to other countries facing similar problems.[10]
After hurricane Katrina, the US state of Louisiana sent politicians to the Netherlands to take a tour of the complex and highly developed flood control system in place in the Netherlands.[11] With a BBC article quoting experts as saying 70% more people will live in delta cities by 2050, the number of people impacted by a rise in sea level will greatly increase.[12] The Netherlands has one of the best flood control systems in the world and new ways to deal with water are constantly being developed and tested, such as the underground storage of water, storing water in reservoirs in large parking garages or on playgrounds,[12][13] Rotterdam started a project to construct a floating housing development of 120 acres (0.49 km2) to deal with rising sea levels.[14] Several approaches, from high-tech sensors detecting imminent levee failure to movable semi-circular structures closing an entire river, are being developed or used around the world. Regular maintenance of hydraulic structures, however, is another crucial part of flood control[15]
Benefits of flooding

There are many disruptive effects of flooding on human settlements and economic activities. However, flooding can bring benefits, such as making soil more fertile and providing nutrients in which it is deficient. Periodic flooding was essential to the well-being of ancient communities along the Tigris-Euphrates Rivers, the Nile River, the Indus River, the Ganges and the Yellow River, among others. The viability for hydrologically based renewable sources of energy is higher in flood-prone regions.
Flood control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-31-2011, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You sound completely ignorant. Thousands are still without power in NJ, a portion of a major interstate has caved in and the road is closed, and some people have five feet of water in their homes. People have lost their businesses and their jobs. Entire neighborhoods are still flooded. Maybe you should look at some more pictures, huh?

When you no longer have income or a home because of "a little rain" we'll laugh at you, too. My nieghbor has a wife and kid and no longer has a job because of this storm. Come over and laugh at him. He'll be home all day now, just stop by.
Of course no one wants to hear about someone who was a victim of any type of disaster.

Point is the storm is blown way out of line.
The media and politicians used this as a platform
a bull horn to rally the troops

there is no doubt it caused some damage and yes it was a wicked storm in nc and vt
I have seen pictures of some swollen rivers and low lying areas that are prone to floods and homes that appeared built on weak foundations or poor structures
Not once have i said anything to belittle a victim of a storm or someone who lost property
My whole message is
media hype
our lovely government trying to shine and look like a hero
the natinal weather service and any media outlet who forecasted the storm and made it out to be a MAJOR event
you want to compare this to Joplin? that was a major weather event

Old 08-31-2011, 06:11 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
Towns In Essex County, Passaic County Face Mandatory Evacuations Wednesday, Days After Tropical Storm Irene Left The Tri-State Area « CBS New York

It's not over

Old 08-31-2011, 06:14 AM

red meat for the news media
red meat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies