Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 04:28 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,551,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I lived thru the hype of Y2K, swine flu (twice), bird flu, Carmageddon (an LA thing) and probably others I've forgotten. This isn't about Obama.
carmageddon..lol what a stupid story- HLN "news" at its best.

Yet after 9/11, I remember idiot producers on tv wondering how ratings on "Joe the Bachelor" (or whatever that garbage was) would plummmet bcs of 9/11....

tv in the U.S is pure trash. Here's a good movie quote.

{producer visiting L.A}
.."wow its so clean out here...I wonder how they keep it that way"...

"That's because they put all their garbage on television"...

~Woody Allen quote from "Annie Hall"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 04:41 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,541,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
carmageddon..lol what a stupid story- HLN "news" at its best.

Yet after 9/11, I remember idiot producers on tv wondering how ratings on "Joe the Bachelor" (or whatever that garbage was) would plummmet bcs of 9/11....

tv in the U.S is pure trash. Here's a good movie quote.

{producer visiting L.A}
.."wow its so clean out here...I wonder how they keep it that way"...

"That's because they put all their garbage on television"...

~Woody Allen quote from "Annie Hall"
You are so right. If my spouse would let me, I'd cancel DirectTV - such a waste of time and money. Then again, I can't miss Damages, Breaking Bad, or next season's Dexter. I'll suffer thru it. Fox is a huge disappointment. We need another news channel, something like infowars.
This hurricane response may have been a test to see how compliant the populace would be.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:07 PM

912 posts, read 1,329,649 times
I have a solution turn it off .It's that simple if the tv coverage bothers you:turn it off or change the channel .

Old 08-27-2011, 05:27 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,111,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Oh they'll make it newsworthy one way or the other. Hell there were storms that blew through KC last week packing 90 mph winds. No nat media running wild telling folks to head for the hills.

All this will do is **** folks off and the next time around they'll say yeah we listened last time and ran off all for nothing. Wolf anybody?

Uh oh they just showed a shingle getting blown off a house in the outer banks. It's getting serious now folks.
4 or 5 people have died including a baby....maybe it needs to happen a LOT CLOSER to HOME(YES YES YES!) for you to care.

YOUR alternative would be to tell no one about the hurricane approaching ...how brilliant! Then you could BLAME someone for THAT and whine and moan and whimper, and complain and DO NOTHING as per usual....

Old 08-27-2011, 05:29 PM

37,096 posts, read 42,093,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
I have a solution turn it off .It's that simple if the tv coverage bothers you:turn it off or change the channel .
I don't even watch tv but it's on my homepage and, obviously, here. I try to stay somewhat up to date!

Old 08-27-2011, 05:50 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,111,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Face it folks, this hurricane was a perfect opportunity to show how prepared the Obama administration were prepared for a disaster. I am sure there were millions of dollars spent in the hopes of making Obama look good. I am also sure that there were experts out there who knew that this would be a Category I hurricane when it hit land. What was that about never wasting an opportunity?
So you're sitting in a little shack on the east coast riding out this "nothing" storm? RIGHT!? Gonna prove "Obama is bad" with Irene...somehow, someway, whether it makes any sense whatsoever...

"""I am sure there were millions of dollars spent in the hopes of making Obama look good."""

Ya, they shoulda just said NOTHING about the hurricane bearing down on the whole east coast for the SOLE purpose of making Obama look bad....let the death and destruction roll....Don't make Obama look good by being PREPARED!!!!

WISH WISH WISH it was your neighborhood....maybe then you would gain some logical insight...

Last edited by Who?Me?!; 08-27-2011 at 06:39 PM..

Old 08-27-2011, 05:53 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,325,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Right I'm from the Caribbean. I'm pretty well versed with a hurricane's potential. It's like someone from Alaska telling people born and raised in Miami they dont know what hurricanes are
I've lived in Miami for 60 years and I consider all hurricanes potential disasters. My house in Miami is protected with shutters and a superior building code. My family in NJ has nothing in the way of protection - 75 mph winds can hurl a lot debris through a lot of unshuttered windows. Once the wind/water gets in, significant damage can result.

So, don't be so quick to diss Irene - she is capable of causing a lot of damage.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:54 PM

1,123 posts, read 774,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
If one lives in "hurricane country" then those types of things are to be expected. They were screaming about NY and NJ being underwater and all kinds of nonsense for a week. How all those folks in the Caribbean manage to survive I'll never know.
At this point, if there is anyone who cannot see right through the pathetic, awful mainstream media, I'd be amazed. They are trash, and are recognized as such. You can go through a long list of the pre-manufactured stories these chimps produce each year, at the appointed time:

New Years: images from drunk driving accident scenes

Minor snowstorms: the requisite person shoveling snow out of their driveway

Christmas: the all-important public safety message to be cautious in malls as there are pickpockets there

Any day in the summer over 88 degrees: video of people sitting and sweating in front of their fans, and on-the-street interviews of people saying how awfully hot it is

etc., etc.

You can almost lay out each of the 365 days of the year and just pull from a file the same stories and video shown on each event from the prior year, the news media simply sucks.

They were probably drooling over this hurricane the moment it was confirmed that it was headed towards the US, as if one has never hit America before. Their breathless reporting and relentless, repetitious "breaking news" coverage on it is nauseating.

And there are going to be a shyteload of angry businesses on Monday, who could have stayed open much later on Saturday but closed early because of Bloomberg.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:55 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,340,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I've lived in Miami for 60 years and I consider all hurricanes potential disasters. My house in Miami is protected with shutters and a superior building code. My family in NJ has nothing in the way of protection - 75 mph winds can hurl a lot debris through a lot of unshuttered windows. Once the wind/water gets in, a significant damage can result.

So, don't be so quick to diss Irene - she is capable of causing a lot of damage.
9 foot of storm surge when your Island is at sea level at high tide is something to worry about.

Manhattan

Old 08-27-2011, 05:58 PM

1,123 posts, read 774,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It results in lost production time, lost profits, lost wages/salaries and the States and cities have to spend, spend, spend and they don't exactly have the money.
Thats why the democraps are so excited about this, its an opportunity to get more people on the public payroll for clearing storm damage, who they can quietly switch over to permanent, public union employee jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies