Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 03:43 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
People helping other people out implies the person had a choice. Taking something from one and handing it to another is not "people helping people out", it is forced servitude to another individuals ideology.

This is the second time recently you have claimed an assertion that is not supported. Please start quoting specifically when you make this accusation as you have no support to such.

I did not assert that it is bad for a person to contribute. I stated it was bad for someone to be FORCED to contribute. There is a difference, please properly summarize me or don't respond to me at all, ok?

The entire contingency of this issue is not helping others, contributing to help others or people helping others. It is forcing people to do such under the perception that by that force you are doing good. Forcing an individual to "contribute" is stepping on them as you violate their right to choose that for themselves.
I'll respond to you anytime I want. YOU don't get to set the terms, okay?

AND--per your own arguments, people can move to other countries if they object to contributing to our society. It's that part of your mantra of people taking responsibility and making choices. They choose to live here, so from that perspective, they aren't FORCED to contribute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 04:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I find it amusing that by objecting to being forced to help, it means a person is without compassion to help.

I help, all the time. I donate my time and money to help people and have throughout my life. I have prepared and served food to those poor, and in disasters. I have helped people rebuild homes from floods and donating money and many items to which I delivered to those in need. I have worked with the mentally handicapped training them to work and help themselves.

Is that immoral?

Or is it simply immoral because I refuse to let you decide how I will help?

Oh, I am sorry, you weren't looking for a response, you just wanted to do a drive by fallacy! Ok gotcha!
Sometimes there are people who need help that no one wants to help. It's not "sexy" perhaps, or they don't seem "deserving".

Old 09-01-2011, 05:05 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sometimes there are people who need help that no one wants to help. It's not "sexy" perhaps, or they don't seem "deserving".
That's what irritates me most about the people who say 'get help from charities'. I've applied to many charities asking for help and the only bit I ever received was being able to stay in a Ronald McDonald house for one night when I had an appointment far from home. Most charities won't even look at you unless you can get them more money. I wasn't a young child with cancer or some other easy to recognize disorder so I was always overlooked. It's not easy to get help from charities.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
That's what irritates me most about the people who say 'get help from charities'. I've applied to many charities asking for help and the only bit I ever received was being able to stay in a Ronald McDonald house for one night when I had an appointment far from home. Most charities won't even look at you unless you can get them more money. I wasn't a young child with cancer or some other easy to recognize disorder so I was always overlooked. It's not easy to get help from charities.
Agreed. Also, people shouldn't have to rely on someone taking pity on them and writing out a personal check.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:50 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
You're right about that, especially if you have a job. Both of my kids are hard of hearing, my first son is considered severe to profundly deaf and we found that out shortly after his birth in late 1999. So in 2000 we went to a supposedly caring hospital in Delaware called A.I Dupont Hospital.
Once they did their own hearing test and confirmed previous reports we were told to come back when we had the $4500 cash to pay for them. That was it, tough $h!t. My wife and I combined to make $31,000 in 1999, so coming up with $4500 was difficult to say the least. Plus we made too much for financial aid or charities. 11 years later with two kids wearing hearing aids and paying out about $36,000 to the hospital we're still told the same thing.

I was never for national healthcare until my kids were born, I believe children should have coverage up until 18 years of age. If we had a rich mommy or daddy, way better job, or if I didn't work at all, none of this would have been a problem. Believe me, this has been a nightmare of epic proportions and it really has nothing to do with my kids disability.

But on the brightside, my kids learned early on that doctors and any other healthcare professionals could care less about them, or their health unless you have money.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:52 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
You're right about that, especially if you have a job. Both of my kids are hard of hearing, my first son is considered severe to profundly deaf and we found that out shortly after his birth in late 1999. So in 2000 we went to a supposedly caring hospital in Delaware called A.I Dupont Hospital.
Once they did their own hearing test and confirmed previous reports we were told to come back when we had the $4500 cash to pay for them. That was it, tough $h!t. My wife and I combined to make $31,000 in 1999, so coming up with $4500 was difficult to say the least. Plus we made too much for financial aid or charities. 11 years later with two kids wearing hearing aids and paying out about $36,000 to the hospital we're still told the same thing.

I was never for national healthcare until my kids were born, I believe children should have coverage up until 18 years of age. If we had a rich mommy or daddy, way better job, or if I didn't work at all, none of this would have been a problem. Believe me, this has been a nightmare of epic proportions and it really has nothing to do with my kids disability.

But on the brightside, my kids learned early on that doctors and any other healthcare professionals could care less about them, or their health unless you have money.

Sorry about the hassles the system gave you over your kids, and hope the kids are doing well.

Unfortunately, as some on this forum would say, you should have planned for this; you should have exrecised more personal responsibility. AAARGH!!!

Old 09-01-2011, 07:33 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
First, Taxes have not "Always has been and always will be" Brief History of IRS (http://www.irs.gov/irs/article/0,,id=149200,00.html - broken link) This is a good place to start. Really our taxes came in about a century ago, mostly to pay for WWI and more taxes were introduced to pay for WWII.

The problem with this healthcare law isn't so much that it's taxes. (Which of course was one of the talking points of the Left) It's a government mandate saying we free citizens MUST purchase a product from a private company!

I wonder if this poster has a problem with the fact that he has to buy insurance or show proof of insurance to legally operate a motor vehicle?
I also wonder if he thinks its a problem that he can be heavily fined, serve jail time or even be given more severe charges if he operates a motor vehicle without insurance and is in a motor vehicle accident?In our car crazy nation we have no problem in forcing people to have liability insurance as a requirement to have a valid drivers license because accidents do happen and we believe people should be compensated for these losses and in most states we have the no fault principle. How is requiring proof of health insurance any different?

How would you like it if the government came and said "the only food you're allowed to buy is from McDonalds". And not just allowed to buy it, but MUST buy it from McDonalds. Period!

That's absurd, right? That's exactly what they've done with the health insurance. And if you happen to NOT want to buy insurance, too bad. You have to or you'll be fined.

How is that NOT taking away my individual liberty?? If I want to NOT purchase insurance (which right now, I don't), I'll be fined! That's unconstitutional! The government can NOT force me to purchase something in that manner. And luckily, court after court after court is agreeing with that assessment.

xxxxx

Old 09-01-2011, 07:50 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Sorry about the hassles the system gave you over your kids, and hope the kids are doing well.

Unfortunately, as some on this forum would say, you should have planned for this; you should have exrecised more personal responsibility. AAARGH!!!
And you know what, they're right to a point. But how can anyone prepare for a childs disability totally. I mean in the grand scheme of things they are healthy and will be able to lead a somewhat normal life except for wearing hearing aids. I can't imagine what people do who have children that have serious disabilities, and insurance companies that tell them tough $h!t like we did.

Usually when things like this happen to someone personally it changes their viewpoints.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:24 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
If one accepts premise A, it follows logically that Social Security is immoral.

So why aren't A advocates addressing Social Security?

Old 09-02-2011, 05:42 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
If one accepts premise A, it follows logically that Social Security is immoral.

So why aren't A advocates addressing Social Security?

Well a lot of A advocates are probably either collecting SS and Medicare or will be doing so soon. Now they all believe in their heart of hearts they paid for it even though they actually only paid for about 30% of what they are going to collect. The rest is coming out of the pockets of their children and their children's children's pockets and so it will be when their children retire etc. etc. etc. That is unless their children welch on their promises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies