Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 01:09 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Would you defend those people, as you're defending one here?
I wouldn't take the position that their argument was completely invalid just because someone else saw another thing. That is not a black and white issue, nor is this.

Quote:
Not "somehow", but yes. Didn't you see this as an artwork depicting racism?
It does depict racism. I understand the deeper meaning behind it. But it still depicts racism. You don't see racism. That doesn't mean others won't.

Quote:
Hence my point in earlier post that people seem to talk more about others than presenting their own view in these boards.
Well, if we were only talking about ourselves here this thread would be completely pointless.

Quote:
Emotions get the best of us.
Yeah. Just as they will of others looking at this. My point exactly.

Last edited by rw47; 08-30-2011 at 01:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 01:10 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post

I'm not an art guy; looking deeper into it I can see your message as well. But my argument is based on what I think the average person will think when they see this. Now if you think I'm wrong, that's fine, maybe I am. But that's what I think.
Assuming you know other peoples education and thought processes when looking at the piece is where you go down the wrong path.
To say the entire debate here is a strawman is projecting your own thoughts, etc onto someone else.
See what I mean?

Old 08-30-2011, 01:11 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
I love this painting. I still tear up sometimes when watching documentaries about the civil rights struggle. I'm white. America is better because of the civil rights movement, and paintings like this one remind us of how our country is better than before. Not perfect, but better. That picture is an iconic representation of our nation's triumph over adversity as much as the painting of Washington crossing the Delaware. I cannot imagine that someone can view that painting and not feel sympathy for the little girl, but unfortunately there are still such people.

And why the hang-up on whether it's educational or not, or if there is a meaningful difference between something imparting education by its own right, versus something inspiring discussion which in turn is educational? If you know the history depicted in the painting, it can create reflection on those days, segregation, the Civil Rights movement, how it must have felt to be that girl (and countless other children), etc. If you don't know the history, you might ask and then learn something.

For those claiming that displaying the picture shows a preoccupation with discord or division, phooey. We must know our history. Do Germans hide The Diary of Anne Frank? In 2005, they opened a Holocaust Memorial in Berlin - was this bad for potentially sowing division between Jews and non-Jewish Germans?

Old 08-30-2011, 01:11 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Laughable that you put both of those statements in one post.
And I guess my point of view went over your head?

Quote:
Must I tow a certain train of thought to be black? Why would you even include that in your post if you had a problem with the fact that I am not your stereotypical black guy? Would you rather I be part of the flash mobs - does that fit within your societal viewpoint?
You did, by starting this thread. You saw this as a black and white issue, a racial issue. BTW, if not for your claim for being a black guy (realize that you may be trying a bit too hard to be different), who would have guessed much less use it as a part of the argument?

Old 08-30-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
When did I defend the confederate flag? I'm not adamant about it either way but I can understand the opposition to it.
The question was, would you defend the opposition to it? Or, choose to stay silent if an opportunity were to present itself?

Old 08-30-2011, 01:17 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
It is a beautiful painting of an American. It is a part of American history. It is painted by one of America's greatest artist and illustrator's.

Why wouldn't it be in the White House?

Old 08-30-2011, 01:18 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:
The question was, would you defend the opposition to it? Or, choose to stay silent if an opportunity were to present itself?
I think we all know the answer to that...

Old 08-30-2011, 01:22 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
The liberal position, and the libertarian position for that matter, would be anti-censorship.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:26 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Depends how much free time I have that day... What exactly are you trying to say here? Because an opposition to the confederate flag is no less valid than this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Assuming you know other peoples education and thought processes when looking at the piece is where you go down the wrong path.
Are you not doing that? You think people will look at this and see the positive. I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
To say the entire debate here is a strawman is projecting your own thoughts, etc onto someone else.
See what I mean?
No, I don't see what you mean. I have my opinion on how I think this will be perceived. As do you. The only strawman in this thread was the assertion that since some objected, they wanted to wipe out our history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
I think we all know the answer to that...
I think you don't know a damn thing about me.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Depends how much free time I have that day... What exactly are you trying to say here? Because an opposition to the confederate flag is no less valid than this.
Let us hope you get a chance to show up and defend them. But as for validity, I'm not surprised why you couldn't differentiate the message between a painting and a symbol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies