Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 05:08 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC
I can't see the picture, but I will say that it's curious that such a poster would remain in the WH while a bust of Winston Churchill is sent back to Britain. The President has a curious taste for interior design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
The Churchill bust was loaned to GW Bush. When his presidency ended it went back to the country that lent it.
Anything will sell as long as the presentation is applied appropriately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 05:16 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,916,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
"Song of the South" was banned because it made it look like negroes enjoyed living on the plantation as slaves.
They didn't? Are you saying that Michelle Bachmann was wrong when she signed a document that claimed slavery was good for black families? I think that is the real reason that many people are upset about the painting. It shows the reality of what was a terrible era in US history, not the Tea Party approved version where the oppressed business owners were forced by an evil central government to give up their property rights and serve food to black people.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:23 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Nothing is wrong with it. I just would have made a different choice. To each his own. It's really not a big deal to me at all, not in the least, the only reason I chimed in here was because I wanted to point out that one can disagree with this particular choice without disagreeing with education.
You didn't just chime in, you made a symphony out of it.

Maybe you just like to debate, I don't know, but you sure seemed invested in the issue for something that's not a big deal to you.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:25 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Did you also get attacked by black people and have a "B" carved into your forehead?
LOL, if that dumb girl had just gone with an "O" for Obama, no one would have known it was put on backwards!

Old 08-31-2011, 05:29 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Before Obama was elected I had a Cain and Palin sticker on my bumper.. well I was almost run off the road on a very busy 4 lane highway . Oh yes, I looked over after being pushed out of my lane for the third time by a black fellow.

I saw Obama stickers on cars and would never think of running someone off the road because of it. That is sick!
Oh how scary! The power of the "Obamamafia"! Did you not have a cell phone with you to call the police? (Most white people do!).
Maybe we can help you find this culprit with the following descriptions:

1: He is "blacker" than a piece of coal!
2: He had "nappy hair" (for further description on what "Nappy hair" looks like call Don Imus")
3: "I think he had gold teeth but his shining scalp full of Jerry curl nearly blinded me.
4: There were several "bootylicious" white girls in his back seat!
5: He was driving a purple Cadillac! (with expired tags!)

Old 08-31-2011, 05:35 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
It does?

Look at the painting again. What is it focusing on?

That's right. The little girl. It doesn't focus on the division or the hostility, you can't even see the protesters, and the lawmen protecting her are clearly not where your focus is drawn. The focus of the painting is squarely placed on that little black girl, Ruby Bridges, who has a type of courage that I can't even begin to understand.

I'm damn near 30 years old and I've never done anything in my life that took even one fraction of the courage that it took that girl to walk into that school. An action so large, so profound, from a person so young and so small. It is very humbling and I think very inspiring. If a small child can have the bravery to do that, how can I not have the bravery to take similar stands for what is right?

The painting is in my belief one of the most inspiring paintings I've ever seen. Especially considering it's source; Norman Rockwell. So associated with the establishment, blandness, and in a way an almost corporate artist, here Rockwell breaks away from everything he's ever painted, but in a very eery way, it is also so similar at the same time, to everything he painted before it. This picture like almost all of his pictures, depicts a scene of American life. It just so happens that the scene that he depicts here shows the cruelty and hypocrisy of America instead of his normal heart-warming fare.

This scene is however just as much authentically American as every other scene he painted. You can ignore it all you want. But this happened. What do we as a country do with this information? The information that we have behaved so poorly? I have no idea. I have no idea how we can finally and permanently heal those wounds. All I know is that I don't think that simply forgetting it or ignoring it, is the answer.

I will not lie, this painting is not solely inspiring. Rockwell does not cut corners, does not polish the rough edges here. The scrawling of the giant profanity across the building makes this very clear. This picture also fills me shame. In truth though I don't feel that shame as white man. I feel that shame as an American. It saddens me that this country which I love so much allowed that poor girl to go through such pain and hardship. It breaks my heart.

But while those feelings are certainly present, the focus of the painting, and I believe the focus of the message, is that girl. That brave girl who at age so young summoned an amount of courage that i can't even begin to imagine.

It is a painting that fills me with a mix of emotions, but good art tends to do this.

A copy of this painting hangs in my home office, I've had it since college. When I have kids the painting will still be there. It may not be the most pleasant painting for my children to see but I do think it will be a very valuable one.
Very Well Put!
(But then, who'd expect anything less from a Phillies fan? )

Old 08-31-2011, 06:58 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This painting resides in the White House just outside the Oval Office. It's by Norman Rockwell - a painting named “The Problem We All Live With”.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/readers/2011...dbridges_1.jpg

This from one who was supposed to be the great uniter. We have flash mobs, and the Congressional Black Caucus calling for war - and this is what he will look at every day.

Race is obviously going to be a campaign strategy. Scare the crap out of white people - either to vote for Obama, or keep them home from the polls out of fear. Holder has already shown he will protect certain people who intimidate voters.

Doesn't really help the economy, or the job situation, or the country.
oh come on people that picture is not real

Old 08-31-2011, 06:59 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Sarcasm? Did you see the video about the person who was actually the black girl in the picture talking to Obama?

Old 08-31-2011, 07:46 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Are you stoned or something?

Old 09-01-2011, 03:08 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Did you also get attacked by black people and have a "B" carved into your forehead?
I see it as relevant, ... too bad I didn't get his plate #. I could have crashed and died going 70 mph no one would really know the cause unless someone stopped and reported it. and yes.. a number of occasions many years ago I was attacked by a mob of blacks. A friend and I were walking to a bus stop when I was in 8th grade.. It does have something to do with the picture.. it is called inciting racial divide . I never did a thing to an African American but treat them with high regard and still do. These are memories that were not pleasant and I can see that the democrats still want the Black people to hate.

The blacks are used as pawns by the democrats and keep the divide alive.. Obama is no better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies