Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:26 PM

88,220 posts, read 84,110,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Although most people here in New York City know better. The man's mayoralty could be described in one word: punitive. He was hated by New Yorkers of all backgrounds, and didn't even do all that much after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. In fact, he was in the right place at the right time, and took full advantage of photo opportunities. He played himself off as a 'hero,' and the really sad part of the deal is that people all across the country fell for his act.

Throw a bunch of random names in a hat. Pull one out. Whoever that person is, he or she would make a better President than that 9/11 one-trick pony, Rudolph Giuliani.
LOL, if you look back to the news in 2001 a few months before 9/11, the main reason Rudy was in the papers was because of his very public messy divorce and the revelations that he was using the NYPD as private chaffeurs for his mistress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 07:32 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,894,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
are you saying other mayors would do this
Person 1- Help me im dying
Mayor- Are you a democrat or Republican
Person 1- Democrat
Mayor- ok, you deseve to die
what world do you live in.
No, not at all what I was saying.

Regardless of how people felt about him as a mayor before 9/11 or his politics in years following, the response of pretty much every NYer I know is that he did a good job in its immediate aftermath.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
What I find so funny about your hate is city New Yorkers, and New Jersians close to New York, have some of the strongest local accents in the country.

You can tell someone witha southern accent is from the South. You probaly can't say which state. But the New York/new jersey accent can be identified immediately.
I don't think Eye-talian has anything to do with an accent. It's just sort of a derogatory way of referring to a group of people, similar to the way ignorant people say "Joisey" when referring to people from my state even though no one anywhere in NJ says it that way.

It does serve to clue the rest of us in that the speaker watches way too many movies and TV and believes what they hear is real.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
No, not at all what I was saying.

Regardless of how people felt about him as a mayor before 9/11, the response of pretty much every NYer I know is that he did a good job in its aftermath.
I think that's probably true. I can remember that even a lot of people who couldn't stand him gave him a grudging respect at that time.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think that's probably true. I can remember that even a lot of people who couldn't stand him gave him a grudging respect at that time.
Thanks - I think you said it better than I did!

Old 08-31-2011, 07:40 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,961,394 times
Rudy "Noun, verb, 9/11" Giuliani.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Thanks - I think you said it better than I did!
You're welcome. I personally don't have really strong feelings about the guy, except that I wouldn't want him for President. Then again, no one I would want for President would ever be eligible to run because he or she wouldn't be sleazy enough to get in a position to run in the first place. I'm an equal-opportunity politician despiser.

I did think Rudy was a sleaze as a human being for admitting to his wife that he had a mistress by appearing with said mistress on the front page of The Daily News, but that was their personal issue, and our entertainment.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
You're welcome. I personally don't have really strong feelings about the guy, except that I wouldn't want him for President. Then again, no one I would want for President would ever be eligible to run because he or she wouldn't be sleazy enough to get in a position to run in the first place. I'm an equal-opportunity politician despiser.

I did think Rudy was a sleaze as a human being for admitting to his wife that he had a mistress by appearing with said mistress on the front page of The Daily News, but that was their personal issue, and our entertainment.
Ah, you and I would get on just fine, I think.

I don't have strong feelings about him either. I just hate when people get so worked up about a politician that they can't acknowledge when said politician might actually have done something useful, y'know?

Old 08-31-2011, 10:15 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,441,540 times
I too think Rudy did a great job on 9/11 and commend him for how he reacted that day, but to be fair, even Bush had an 85% approval rating shortly after 9/11.

I also think he is a shameless opportunist who has cynically and callously capitalized on his leadership that terrible day, a leadership that had serious underlying flaws in the years preceding 9/11

Old 08-31-2011, 10:50 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,051,257 times
Quote:
Not exactly...

Quote:
The International Association of Firefighters has long hated Rudy Giuliani. He didn't give New York's Bravest adequate equipment before 9/11, the union has always said, he was insufficiently concerned with their safety during cleanup after 9/11, and he didn't let them search ground zero long enough for the remains of their brethren. Worst of all, they argue, he's built a persona — and a thriving presidential campaign — by appropriating firefighters' heroism as his own.
Firefighters Hate Rudy — and Want You to Know It -- Daily Intel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies