Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 02:04 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
For good reason???

Are you serious??
Consider that their religious nutcase leaders drumming it into the heads of their followers for decades. The Imams can't tell people that maintaining a 12th century culture and worshiping a pedphile prophit aren't leading to progress. They have to have someone else to blame for their own failings, else their power goes in the toilet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 02:09 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Consider that their religious nutcase leaders drumming it into the heads of their followers for decades. The Imams can't tell people that maintaining a 12th century culture and worshiping a pedphile prophit aren't leading to progress. They have to have someone else to blame for their own failings, else their power goes in the toilet.
A lot like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson

Old 08-31-2011, 02:42 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Very near sighted post. They will hate us more and do more harm when they are a full blown theocracy. I also see you haven't awaken to what really happened over there and how much Obama and his minions helped the MB achieve the postition they are in right now to take over Egypt....then Libya.....then Syria.......then??? Take a look a this in Egypt:
So what do you suggest? Should the United States prop up or install more unpopular dictarorial governments in the region? Would you like to support the more moderate political parties and factions in Egypt? Alienate the country politically? Support the military which currently controls the country? If Muslims can't be trusted with democracy(like it's our choice) than what do you propose for the region?

All I hear on threads like this is that all Muslims everywhere are fanatics and it's inevitable that every nation with an uprising in the Middle East will end up a theocracy . Because as we know from CityData, all Muslims are uniform in thought and outlook, right? Well if it's so inevitable, than why waste your time...there's nothing you can do about to change the beliefs and culture of poor Egyptians if those are the majority of the population.

But hey, they already dislike the US for policy in the region--you really think those living under a theocracy are going to suddenly hate us more? You go to Iran and many there actually like Americans more than their own government, because they blame the theocracy for the problems in their country and not the United States.

As far as the more militant Muslims highjacking the popular revolutions, I agree that it's worrisome, but don't try to convince me that it was just the Islamcists who were out their protesting against Mubarak. Personally, I don't have that much hope that things in Egypt(or Libya or Syria) are going to be that great in the immediate future, so I'm not sure how that's considered a nearsighted outlook. But this chain of events was sort of inevitable as far as the fall of Qaddafi and Mubarak are concernedMubarak was in his 80s(and in poor health)--once he died this would've probably been the outcome as well. When aging, longtime dictatorships fall, you unleash a lot of repressed elements in the state and culture, just like Yugoslavia or post-colonial Southeast Asia.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:48 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
So what do you suggest? Should the United States prop up or install more unpopular dictarorial governments in the region? Would you like to support the more moderate political parties and factions in Egypt? Alienate the country politically? Support the military which currently controls the country? If Muslims can't be trusted with democracy(like it's our choice) than what do you propose for the region?

All I hear on threads like this is that all Muslims everywhere are fanatics and it's inevitable that every nation with an uprising in the Middle East will end up a theocracy . Because as we know from CityData, all Muslims are uniform in thought and outlook, right? Well if it's so inevitable, than why waste your time...there's nothing you can do about to change the beliefs and culture of poor Egyptians if those are the majority of the population.

But hey, they already dislike the US for policy in the region--you really think those living under a theocracy are going to suddenly hate us more? You go to Iran and many there actually like Americans more than their own government, because they blame the theocracy for the problems in their country and not the United States.

As far as the more militant Muslims highjacking the popular revolutions, I agree that it's worrisome, but don't try to convince me that it was just the Islamcists who were out their protesting against Mubarak. Personally, I don't have that much hope that things in Egypt(or Libya or Syria) are going to be that great in the immediate future, so I'm not sure how that's considered a nearsighted outlook. But this chain of events was sort of inevitable as far as the fall of Qaddafi and Mubarak are concernedMubarak was in his 80s(and in poor health)--once he died this would've probably been the outcome as well. When aging, longtime dictatorships fall, you unleash a lot of repressed elements in the state and culture, just like Yugoslavia or post-colonial Southeast Asia.
We didn't need to help the terror fanatics out like we did. We could have let them take care of their own mess. This is ALL going to become a huge problem for the world. You know what they want, I know what they want, the POTUS knows what they want, but we still helped them.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:09 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,129 times
Quote:
Israel Sends Warships To Egyptian Border As Iran Dispatches Fleet To Red Sea | FoxNews.com

This may sound harsh to some of you. But Muslim countries can't handle democracy. This is what happens when they get freedom. Everything defaults to their religion and jihad and hating Jews and America. Remember when Palestinians got free elections? What did they do? Elected a terror group!

Moubarak was the devil. But he was the devil we knew! He kept the peace and stability. I wish he had treated his people better. But now look at what we have....Same for Lybia. Syria is next.....

Israel lives in the craziest cul de sac on the planet!

And Our president has been encouraging this crap.....He doesn't like Israel anyway....

What now Obama?? What now??
Well the Middle East didn't ask for democracy. We imported it there.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:27 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
A lot like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson
No arguement here.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:09 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Israel lives in the craziest cul de sac on the planet!
Whose fault is that?

Quote:
And Our president has been encouraging this crap.....He doesn't like Israel anyway....
Finally, one who doesn't. About damn time!

Old 08-31-2011, 06:48 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Whose fault is that?
Duh!

The Jews. It's all the fault of the Jews.

Jews started the Sunni-Shia split, the conflict between Arabs and Persians, the conflict between Arabs and Kurds, the conflict between Turks and Arabs, the conflict between Turks and Kurds, the conflict between secularists, moderate Muslims, and Islamic Fundamentalists, and the conflict between Muslims and Christians.

It's the Jews, I mean, Israel's fault for it all.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:42 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
The Jews. It's all the fault of the Jews.
Merely reading the post to which I was responding would've saved you an episode of diarrhea of the um, keyboard.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:04 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
We didn't need to help the terror fanatics out like we did. We could have let them take care of their own mess. This is ALL going to become a huge problem for the world. You know what they want, I know what they want, the POTUS knows what they want, but we still helped them.
They want to be left alone and run their sovereign nations. It became a powder keg for us when we invaded in 1953. It's been downhill ever since.

But those in the Middle East aren't human right? Why should they be accorded the same rights as people? Is that the reason why you don't support rights for them? Because you think they are animals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies