Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 11:15 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Explain this to me.

How can conservatives be against abortion as a practical matter?

The vast majority of abortions occur from individuals who can't afford kids.

Taking away the ability for these people to secure abortions means more people on welfare.

The same people against abortion are usually against most forms of welfare.

So what should these people do, aside from not having kids (which we all know abstinence education doesn't work)?

Plus, the most conservative states have the highest rates of unwed pregnancies (doesn't necessary mean most unwanted), the most poverty, and the most welfare.

When you stop supporting the basic needs of individuals (food, clothes, shelter), people will become desperate and start rioting (see Middle East).

I think you stumbled upon something, but more on that later. First you are simply wrong when you write "most conservatives are against welfare". A more accurate description of conservative views on welfare is, welfare has grown too large.

Back to your premise. What you are describing is the lefts rational for abortion. It is simply another form of crime prevention to them they believe those lower on the socioeconomic ladder are undesirable and their numbers should be limited.

Finally your reading on the middle east is, of course, wrong. The revolutions in the middle east are not economic but due to wanting to rid their countries of tyrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 12:16 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Explain this to me.

How can conservatives be against abortion as a practical matter?

The vast majority of abortions occur from individuals who can't afford kids.

Taking away the ability for these people to secure abortions means more people on welfare.

The same people against abortion are usually against most forms of welfare.

So what should these people do, aside from not having kids (which we all know abstinence education doesn't work)?

Plus, the most conservative states have the highest rates of unwed pregnancies (doesn't necessary mean most unwanted), the most poverty, and the most welfare.

When you stop supporting the basic needs of individuals (food, clothes, shelter), people will become desperate and start rioting (see Middle East).
I'm not a true Conservative per se. I prefer the term "Political Agnostic" as I do not believe that there is any political party out there that doesn't completely suck. But on the abortion issue I do agree with them.
1.) If you can't afford to have kids, then there's a pretty long line of people waiting and hoping for a child to adopt. Why is it so hard to go that route instead of killing the unborn child?
2.) For crapsakes, use a little birth control! If you don't want to be pregnant, having unprotected sex is counter-intuitive. If you want the US government to provide the pill and condoms free of charge, I say let's do it!
3.) At the end of the day, you're killing an unborn human baby. You're ending a life. You're not giving that unborn child a choice in the matter.
4.) Even at it's most simple in the first few weeks after conception, any sane scientist would consider a human fetus alive.
5.) If bacteria, amoebas, tapeworms and fungi are all life forms, then only a scientist with an axe to grind, an agenda to meet and money to make is going to say the human fetus isn't alive.
6.) By liberal use of fuzzy math and fuzzy logic, Liberals have managed to convince themselves that the unborn human has not rights whatsoever.
7.) Call it a parasite, a mindless lifeless blob of cells, or call it whatever you like. The fetus is alive and it is a life form. So what species it it?
8.) 1000 out of 1000 human fetuses turn out to be humans when given the opportunity of survive and be born.
9.) So the fetus species = Homo Sapien. Human. Humans have rights.
10.) Who on earth has any right to say that any other human being has no right to live? That is the most indispensible right of humankind.
11.) "Unborn baby" and "fetus" are one and the same thing, but in order to make themselves feel better about their stand in favor of abortion, pro-choice folks will insist that everyone call the unborn human baby a fetus. It's a nice scientific sounding name that does not trigger an emotional response. Apparently that makes it easier for them to support abortion.
12.) Why do they need to hide behind less emotionally charged words in order to feel better? Is it guilt? Is it stubborn determination to refuse to acknowledge the obvious truth -- that an unborn human being is still a human being?

Now what do you do with the unborn babies that you save from being killed? Well, make it MUCH easier to adopt. If I didn't have a $30,000 price tag to look forward to, I promise you I'd adopt just as many of those babies as I could afford to support. Black, white, yellow, red, brown? Couldn't care less. I love my children and I love all children out there. My wife and I went 10 years of marriage without being able to have them and you better believe we'd have taken your unwanted baby off of your hands, but unfortunately you aborted it. Until there is a greater supply of babies than there demand, auto-abort doesn't make any economic sense at all. Just because you would be inconvenienced or financially stretched beyond your means, doesn't mean killing it is the logical choice. There are other people out there who will raise and love that child. When there is a shortage of such persons, then and only then does the conversation change.

Here's a thought: Increase the birth rate and save the future of Social Security, Medicare, etc. It's the right thing to do!

Old 09-02-2011, 02:57 PM

1,187 posts, read 994,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Teen birth rates highest in most religious states - Health - Children's health - msnbc.com

The most liberal countries in the world have the lowest teen pregnancy and abortion rates.
I think you should read the entire article before you post it as "proof" of your statement. Just because the title agrees with your statement, doesn't mean the whole article does. ONE study showed a link, but many others showed there were links in many other categories that had nothing to do with religion. Including the fact that one study showed there was less unwed mothers under religious areas.

I really think most "studies" can show whatever agenda the person doing the study WANTS it to show. Just like with polls, it can be skewed to whichever side is taking it.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:01 PM

146 posts, read 89,167 times
Like an earlier poster said, murdering innocents is poor policy. Not terribly surprising that's an opposing view to the one most liberals maintain.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:26 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Abstinence is 100% effective.
wow. ...talk about denial.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:29 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
tell that to the twelve year old who is a victim of rape by her father or some other creep. think outside the box cal.....life isn't a bed of roses as forrest said sh*t happens. ugly sh*t
sometimes I wonder where these people live- are they in a basement closet somewhere and never see what goes on in the world?

Old 09-02-2011, 10:02 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
I don't know about the OP's theory but here is even a better one.

Obama is a champion of abortion rights and PP but it decimates the black community more than any other. So why is Obama, a black man, so in favor of it?

Old 09-02-2011, 10:35 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Many conservatives are also religious. They are keen on saving lives and let babies be born. The big problem is that after birth, they lose all interest. Why? Can't really tell.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:23 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Nonsense, there are many programs for single mothers in churches.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:31 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I don't know about the OP's theory but here is even a better one.

Obama is a champion of abortion rights and PP but it decimates the black community more than any other. So why is Obama, a black man, so in favor of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies