Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 06:19 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
They should require him to come in on the 8th, during hte NFL game. The chamber would probly be less than half full. TheO'bama could pull one of those Congressional late nighters, when no one is there to listen... other than TOTUS, the Puppet Master.
I don't think he has the cojones OR the pull with the media to preempt the start of the NFL season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 06:21 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Or, a little research or reading could enlighten one as to the Speaker's reasoning...
It is so obvious that Obama is trying to get a war going with this request. He doesn't have to deliver this crap to a Joint Session for all the Congressmen and women to hear it. The partisan crap has begun and he said he wanted some compromise a week or so ago

Old 08-31-2011, 06:23 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I'm not an Indie.

I think President Obama should, to coin a phrase, make a Management Decision to "stay the course", and let the GOP show themselves as the uncooperative and obstructionist shmucks that they are for not showing up.

Let the GOP debate on their own time. No one wants to hear them whine, anyway.
Yeah, I would like nothing better than to see obama in an empty joint session.

You DO know the GOP debate has been scheduled for months, don't you?

You DON'T think obama picking this day for his same old, same old speech was coincidence, do you?

You DO know the congress comes back into session on the same day?

You DO know a concurrent resolution is required from both chambers in order to have the president speak, don't you?

Old 08-31-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The Senate Leader agreed, a House Leader, for the 1st time in history, did not.
bob, when will you want to discuss the reason Boehner didn't agree to Obama's request. Don't just say that Boehner is the bad guy and hope it will be left standing. Boehner's words are all over this thread and you want to ignore them completely trying to make him look like the bad guy instead of Obams.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Good! Obama needs to be put back in his place. He's not a dictator nor a king.
Well he is getting closer and closer to just that. bob talking about Reid agreeing omitted the fact that the House agreed that they would begin business on the evening of the 7th and I think Obama knew that and was just trying to do what a king could do, and call off their meeting.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:28 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,679 times
LOL, guranteed a win for Obama. The repubs are as spilt as rancid pea soup.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I had a tweet from NBC's Kelly O, indicating Reid sources telling her that Reid said any day is fine with him. It was about a hour ago when the tweet came out. If you are requesting a link to when a President's request for joint session was turned down, kind of hard to find a link to something that has not occurred.
Did Obama not know that a Joint 'Session calls for a Joint Resolution by the two houses? You know as well as I do that he knew all about that but was trying to executive fiat to get by that one. He makes new rules to get around Congress's failure to pass laws he wants passed, why wouldn't it work to declare the day free for him? I see through this crap and maybe it would be nice if a bunch of you could too.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Since when was a GOP primary debate more important than a highly anticipated job creation speech by our president?

The GOP debate will be the same as the others. Low taxes, Big empire, Invade Iran, Anti abortion and same sex marriage.
I see that you don't think that Obama's speech will just be another of the same old, same old.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Errr, House on vacation til next Weds.
Is the Senate not on vacation till then, also?

Old 08-31-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Boehner should keep his mouth shut and defer to the President of the U.S. and our Commander and Chief. Or must we remind him just how unpopular Congress (and the GOP in particular) are these days?
I take it that you are saying a man with 38% approval rating should be telling the Congress of the US that he has nearly made irrelevant, with Executive Orders , what they should do as to what their agenda will be. Boehner is trying to keep some of their relevancy and you say he should shut up. Maybe old over and over again Barack should shut up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies