Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 05:43 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,221,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Even if they were the most devout men who ever lived, the fact remains that they gave us a Constitution devoid of any references to a god or to religion, aside from guaranteeing its free exercise and forbidding its legal establishment.
The Constitution prohibits Congress from making a law establishing a religion, yes.

Our Declaration of Independence is considered to be one of our "founding documents". It makes reference to our inalienable rights being god given.

But, I think you are trying to advance an idea here that the founders would not agree with. This isn't hard to discern from your post.

In colonial times, no one would have thought that a day would come when some would aver that they (the founders) intended to keep their faith (the Christian faith) out of their political thinking, and I think any attempt to do so would be nearly impossible, wouldn't you?

Our beliefs shape our thoughts about everything. Your beliefs cause you to seek to nullify what we know to be true about our founders thinking by their own works.

For some reason, you feel threatened by Christianity.

But, we cannot apply modern attitudes about religion to colonial thought. People in colonial America attended church regularly. Sermons often were discussions or dissertations on politics. The churches played a central roll in the communities.

Unless you burn everything that was ever published from colonial America, your attempts to rewrite history will be futile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 05:51 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,147,945 times
I love religious politicians. I'm still waiting for someone to make a sound bite CD: The Best Of Religious Politicians, Volume 1.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:53 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,373,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Uh-huh. I thought you might just be splitting hairs until you added this:

The rise of the MM (which was neither, btw) is the prime example of when politics in the country changed for the worse.
We're still left dealing with their putrid and hateful influence.
Oh please, the Moral Majority were a flash in the pan. After Reagan dissed them in 1984 by refusing to support their Prayer Amendment they faded from existence into obscurity. Only to spring up again six years later, this time as the Christian Coalition, in 1990.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Why?

I guess Rush Limbaugh is to thank for that
You can live in a church if you like. That doesn't make you a Christian anymore than living in a garage makes you a car.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I love religious politicians. I'm still waiting for someone to make a sound bite CD: The Best Of Religious Politicians, Volume 1.
Maybe we could start with Obama's views on "collective salvation" which he shared in a speech not long ago.

I wonder why the leftists were not agitated by that?

Old 09-01-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
What I want from a political candidate is solid opinion on issues, creativity on problem solving, and common sense. I indeed also want them to have solid moral values and footing, but I dont need them to remind me of it constantly.
And where do those "solid moral values" come from if not from their faith?

Old 09-01-2011, 06:10 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,022,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Maybe we could start with Obama's views on "collective salvation" which he shared in a speech not long ago.

I wonder why the leftists were not agitated by that?
Because, like I said, as long as religion is not used to discriminate or put down others, I couldn't care less what the politician's beliefs are.

They could be Christian, Muslim, Jewish, or friggin animal-sacrificing devil worshippers for all I care.

Religion is the part of someone I care the least about.

Unless you cross the line, and then use your religion to hurt others.

Then you become an idiot.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:14 PM

773 posts, read 501,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
But given your posting history, you clearly hate liberals and Obama. So why do you not accept that some people might hate religious conservatives? They're just behaving in the same way as you.
No, I do not hate them at all. I strongly disagree with their policies and in the case of some of them, I am disgusted by their dishonesty.

I am a fiscal conservative. I am very liberal on "some" social issues. I believe in gay marriage, legalizing drugs and prostitution and ending the wars (although wars seem to be something both sides like).

The main difference between liberals and me is I believe in living a certain way because "I" choose to. Liberals believe they should be able to decide how others live because "they" believe it is for the betterment of society. So even though I believe some of the individual things they do and I live green and clean, we come at it from a completely different point of view.

Also, being an unaffiliated voter I am not tied to one side or the other. Liberals pretty much defend Obama for doing the same things they crucified Bush for doing. I call 'em as I see them. Note how I called out Bachman for her insane statements. It is what it is.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Because, like I said, as long as religion is not used to discriminate or put down others, I couldn't care less what the politician's beliefs are.

They could be Christian, Muslim, Jewish, or friggin animal-sacrificing devil worshippers for all I care.

Religion is the part of someone I care the least about.

Unless you cross the line, and then use your religion to hurt others.

Then you become an idiot.
How do you feel about making Sharia Law part of our system of laws, as some advocate, including Alana Kagan (sp?).

Old 09-01-2011, 06:19 PM

773 posts, read 501,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
He was speaking (pandering?) to evangelicals about his religious beliefs. When has he promoted policies (legislation) based on his beliefs? You know, like Bush II did when he said God told him to invade Iraq...
BBC - Press Office - George Bush on Elusive Peace
So now you want to change what it means to say it? "That depends on what the meaning of say is".

And yes, Obama backed up what he said when he was pandering. You may want to take a read at what he has been able to pass since he became POTUS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies