Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 02:32 AM

3,047 posts, read 2,825,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Its one thing for someone to be religious (which I have no problem with). Its another thing entirely when someone's personal religious views dictate policy.
The Constitution cannot survive without Christianity.

The problem as I see it..Liberals do not listen...they cannot hear...they cannot read..and they cannot reason how this country was Founded.

They may think they know...but the reality is they have no clue they do not know what they do not know.

Last edited by DraggingCanoe; 09-02-2011 at 02:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 05:20 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
This is complete nonsense that goes directly against the express intent of the authors of the Constitution as set forth in the First Amendment.

You fail Constitution 101. F.

Quote:
The problem as I see it..Liberals do not listen...they cannot hear...they cannot read..and they cannot reason how this country was Founded.
Like you just did with your ridiculous statement above? It doesn't take a liberal to see that you are wholly wrong about this.

Quote:
They may think they know...but the reality is they have no clue they do not know what they do not know.
Pray tell, to what secret, esoteric knowledge of Constitutional law you are privy that those of us who have actually studied it lack?

Try and keep your response apolitical, if that is even possible for you.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Member View Post
I agree with the separation. I would eliminate the tax free status of all churches and religious organizations. They are a business.

But no one has answered the question as to why liberals have an issue with Republicans being religious and have no issue with democrats being religious when they both vocalize it and act on it. Obama has and does.
I expect it is because of the post just above this one. Some Republicans (certainly not all) can separate their personal religious beliefs from their job of representing their constituents.

Some, as evidences by their own words, cannot. This is less a problem for "liberals" because they do not tend to be social conservatives.

It's the authoritarian social conservatives, that are nearly all religious, that worry liberals - and rightly so.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:28 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Mine come from me being a nice person. If "solid moral values" come from faith I'd hate to be there when they loose their religion.
Very good, but they must be 'underpinned' by something. You didn't just arrive here with 'solid moral' principles. You had good parents, no doubt.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Mine come from me being a nice person. If "solid moral values" come from faith I'd hate to be there when they loose their religion.
Not so fast. It's not such a bad thing to be there when a sexually repressed Catholic girl finally escapes the nuns.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:45 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
I am liberal and I do not hate religious politicians.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:52 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post

I believe the founders said that our Constitution and our freedom was for a "moral and religious people" and that it couldn't survive otherwise.

I think we are seeing the truth of this today.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:28 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You know, that's a good point. Thank you for bringing that up. They hate the Bible when the issue is abortion (for example) but they are very quick to use it to justify their position on homosexuality or gay "mariage".
I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't use the Bible for anything but occasional comic relief.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:33 AM

158 posts, read 134,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Member View Post
I read so many posts and see so many reports where liberals make fun of and have absolute hatred of religious politicians. I am not religious myself, but I find that attitude disgusting.

My question is, why don't liberals do the same thing to Obama? He is a very religious man.
Religion and politics should not be mixed together. Because then you lose focus on the things that matter most; instead of dealing with the economy, job creation, education, etc., you deal with abortion, the theory of evolution, etc.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:33 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Our Declaration of Independence is considered to be one of our "founding documents". It makes reference to our inalienable rights being god given.
Our current government dates from the Constitution. The courts have repeatedly denied that the Declaration has any legal effect.

Quote:
In colonial times, no one would have thought that a day would come when some would aver that they (the founders) intended to keep their faith (the Christian faith) out of their political thinking, and I think any attempt to do so would be nearly impossible, wouldn't you?
If by "colonial times" you mean William Bradford, you are right. If you are talking about the Enlightment era in which the American Revolution played out, I believe you are wrong.

Quote:
Our beliefs shape our thoughts about everything. Your beliefs cause you to seek to nullify what we know to be true about our founders thinking by their own works.

For some reason, you feel threatened by Christianity.
Yes, because it's an actual threat.

People can believe all sorts of absurd things without being dangerous; astrology and healing crystals for example. Religion is dangerous as well as absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies