Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:39 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman
No, the OP is not blaming 'right wing' politics for his affliction. He's properly blaming them for their lack of empathy in the real world of medical disabilities, a lack of empathy that you so perfectly illustrate in your posts in this thread. Fact: many right wingers do want to take away the safety nets in our society. But many/most people on the left recognize that there is intrinsic and practical value in helping the poor, elderly and disabilities through our tax dollars.
Since when does this have anything to do with people on the left or right?

Additionally what does lack of empathy have to do with this, and

Lastly, what safety net do you think someone is trying to take away, that is constitutionally provided for?

Don't get me wrong, I truly have no problem with the citizenry providing a pool of money that is doled out for those truly unfortunate enough to be so disable that they are unable to provide for themselves, and don't have family to assist.

I do however draw a few lines.

1. Helping the poor. Absolutely.. Help them get jobs and become self sufficient.

2. Elderly, (Which I am soon approaching), we have kids right? We took care of them, now it's time to turn that around. Any questions?

3. Disabled. Well, since I am disabled, I DO know what I am talking about here. It depends on the disability, and it's impact on your capability to find employment capable of sustaining yourself.

What the so called "right wingers" you so caustically refer to are trying to do, is get out of doing what the federal government has no business doing in the first place. I think that the totality of what some are trying to do is wrong, but understand their position. It's not the job of the government to take money from some and distribute to others, no matter the circumstance. In reality, the purpose of charity is to assist those who cannot assist themselves. In fact if all the charity collect to help those in need overseas, (and government money as well), was used to help those here in the U.S. we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I do however support the Government providing assistance to those who truly need it due to a handicap or disability (not due to their own negligence or activity such as getting drunk and driving their car into a tree).
You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. You say you're for helping the truly disabled but it's conditional and shouldn't be available if a disability or handicap comes from a life-style choice. That's a wide brush stroke covering everything from little kids getting a closed head brain injury from a skate board accident to a jogger getting hit by a car. If a person is paralyzed (like my husband) from a skiing accident or from CHOOSING to go in the military and exposing himself to the dangers of war, with your logic they should both rot in the street if they don't have families who can take care of them.

As for your statement that the elderly all have kids who should be helping them---False, all elderly people do not have kids. There are plenty of elderly people who were fertility challenged or who lost their kids to war, disease or accidents. Not to mention, the adult kids who live across 100s of miles away and can't help.

I stand by my Virginia post: Tea Party Republicans lack empathy in the real world of medical disabilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 10:42 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Default get a grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
True, life is not fair. But being a citizen of the United States means we don't turn our disabled out into the streets to beg for quarters and scraps to eat. The way we treat our disabled and elderly in this country traditionally has set us above 3rd world countries. Yet Tea Party Republicans seem bent on destroying the very fabric of programs like SSDI that help make this country so great.
Comments like the above make me sick. Nimrods tend to group everyone together they don't like and denigrate them based on what the person THINKS these people are trying to do, versus actually trying to find out the truth.

Trust me, Tea party advocates and the republican party is far close to my views than the democrats and I haven't seen a single one of these people advocate throwing the elderly out on the street, suggesting the infirm eat cat food, and discussing the the denial of assistance to the disabled, or the denial of medical benefits to those who need them.

If you KNOW of something different, then by all means please update us accordingly.

Thank you for playing.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:50 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
I see a lot of howling but no proof of this "right wing conspiracy" to destroy folks and keep them from getting disability. I guess we'll never know. That is after all a conspiracy right?? Now we'll have a bunch of southpaws extolling their holier than thou attitude to the board. Yippee.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:54 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. You say you're for helping the truly disabled but it's conditional and shouldn't be available if a disability or handicap comes from a life-style choice. That's a wide brush stroke covering everything from little kids getting a closed head brain injury from a skate board accident to a jogger getting hit by a car. If a person is paralyzed (like my husband) from a skiing accident or from CHOOSING to go in the military and exposing himself to the dangers of war, with your logic they should both rot in the street if they don't have families who can take care of them.

As for your statement that the elderly all have kids who should be helping them---False, all elderly people do not have kids. There are plenty of elderly people who were fertility challenged or who lost their kids to war, disease or accidents. Not to mention, the adult kids who live across 100s of miles away and can't help.

I stand by my Virginia post: Tea Party Republicans lack empathy in the real world of medical disabilities.
I think you revealed your real motivations in this post. If your husband is disabled, then no wonder you harbor ill-will towards those who **may** criticize your benefits. Notice I said "criticize." I'm not aware of anyone actually taking anything from you.

"Hands off my money!!!!".......It's the American way.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:59 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I think you revealed your real motivations in this post. If your husband is disabled, then no wonder you harbor ill-will towards those who **may** criticize your benefits. Notice I said "criticize." I'm not aware of anyone actually taking anything from you.

"Hands off my money!!!!".......It's the American way.
See it's not enough to some to hand em a check. Now we have to have empathy too. Maybe a card from the taxpayers every month along with their disability payment saying how sorry we are about what happened will make em happy? Nah I doubt it.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:04 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:

A lifestyle choice, is a lifestyle choice. Just that a choice. Some people didn't have a choice, I have no issue assisting them.

A skateboard accident is just that, no problem here.. Same with a skiing accident or veteran.. You seem to be reading something other than what I stated. If you CHOOSE to get drunk and run into a tree, no. If you are driving and you skid and hit a tree, no problem. If you are a member of the armed forces, no problem, if you have an accident skiing, no problem. If you inject yourself with heroin, then yes I have a problem.

BTW, did I say ALL elderly have kids? nope... BTW, are YOU saving for YOUR retirement? If not, why should you expect someone else to pay your way?

If they have kids who choose to live 100's of miles away, you can always move to be near them.. Again, a choice...

Since when, did it become the job of the 16 year old kid working at Mcdonalds, or the 19 year old trying to pay their way through college, to pay for you? That's what you are suggesting when you want the government to provide for someone else. If you are older, you should have saved money, or prepared yourself in one way or another for what is coming.

Last edited by Darkatt; 09-01-2011 at 11:13 AM..

Old 09-01-2011, 11:06 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
To all the rightwing posters on the forum, i have a message.

Your policies hurt me. I am 35 years old and I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome a year ago, but was told I have optic nerve hypoplasia at a young age. Two months ago I was told I have a brain tumor. I have hormone imbalances. My family takes care of me but the medical bills are piling up. I applied for Social Security almost a year ago due to disability from having Asperger's, depression, and mental health issues. I've been waiting a year ,denied multiple times, and now forced to seek a lawyer and administrative hearing. In other countries I would have received disability payments by this time, but not in the US.". Some time in my life I'd like to be able to move out and at least share an appartment but I'm broke- the only government program I receive is food stamps. The victims of your policies are not just abstract faceless figures, they are real human beings like me who have hopes and dreams for our life. Social Security needs more funding, not less. More administrative judges. I have a friend online who had to wait 3 years, and she has MS. This is cruel, and shouldn't be tolerated in a so-called civilized nation.
So sorry that happened to you and yes it is not easy to get on SS. The people that said it is have never tried. My DH has MS and it took him about 3 years after he finally appealed.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:09 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I see a lot of howling but no proof of this "right wing conspiracy" to destroy folks and keep them from getting disability. I guess we'll never know. That is after all a conspiracy right?? Now we'll have a bunch of southpaws extolling their holier than thou attitude to the board. Yippee.
Who is claiming there is a "right wing conspiracy"? Everything the Tea Partiers are trying to do is right out in the open. Watch the house debates over budget cuts and health care. Listen to people like Eric Cantor, Ron Paul, Michele Bachmann and some of the posters on this site who all want to change the very fabric of our nation to something most of us wouldn't recognize (or like) a decade after, if they got all their ideas put into action.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:10 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,387,823 times
Quote:
No, the OP is not blaming 'right wing' politics for his affliction. He's properly blaming them for their lack of empathy in the real world of medical disabilities, a lack of empathy that you so perfectly illustrate in your posts in this thread. Fact: many right wingers do want to take away the safety nets in our society. But many/most people on the left recognize that there is intrinsic and practical value in helping the poor, elderly and disabilities through our tax dollars.

Where in the Constitution is there an "empathy" clause? The country bankrupt due to people wanting a government that pays for everything.

Last edited by LetsRock; 09-01-2011 at 11:35 AM..

Old 09-01-2011, 11:15 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
Quote:
True, life is not fair. But being a citizen of the United States means we don't turn our disabled out into the streets to beg for quarters and scraps to eat. The way we treat our disabled and elderly in this country traditionally has set us above 3rd world countries. Yet Tea Party Republicans seem bent on destroying the very fabric of programs like SSDI that help make this country so great.
Sadly so true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies