Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 11:33 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,018,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I would be happy to entertain one or two links to those studies you talk about in which you tell us how bad Britannica is. Can you come up with a couple?
Here's the most famous:

Access : Internet encyclopaedias go head to head : Nature (http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v438/n7070/full/438900a.html - broken link)

Unfortunately you can't read it without paying. But the summary is that Wikipedia has more average errors per article (4 compared to 3) but the average wikipedia article is 2.6 times as long as the average EB article.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:34 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Go for it.
Yep, FactCheck are leftist propagandists.

But Seriously: Fact Checking Factcheck.org

Old 09-01-2011, 11:34 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
There's another one. Al Gore never claimed to have invented the internet, any more so than Eisenhower claimed to have invented paved interstate highways. All that either one fo them did was to lobby hard for the US to make it a priority to develop that type of infrastructure.
I really think that Algore screwed up and made some not serious claims to having been more involved than we all know he was. Oh well, Algore's name stays in front of us lately so we can't forget his other very serious lack of truth.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:35 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
Every time I see those words on Fact Check that say it is a project of the Annenberg Policy Center I get just a bit worried. Now I have never asked them anything about Obama and his "neighbor" who he just happened to have opened his political career in the house of but I bet I know what the answer would be. Of course, those two men served on an Annenberg service together back when Obama swears they barely knew each other.
I think you missed the point.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
What the OP says has already been thoroughly and completely debunked. Even WND admits it was wrong.

Come on man.
I don't think you would like it if I cherry pick an WND article and ask Snopes about it, if they are as true as you say. I may have to ask you what words to use to ask them since they often don't give me anything but I sure will play a game if you want to.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Have you checked the TOS lately? Maybe you should because I learn so much from you.
They'll never see me coming.

I'll wait until Rita is asleep.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Roy, stop now before you embarrass yourself. Even WND backed out of this story when they were caught red-handed.
There you go again. Not one mention of Kagan. It is ok, though, because you did just what I expected.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:38 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
I think you missed the point.
The only points they care about are... right wing talking points.

Quote:
I don't think you would like it if I cherry pick an WND article and ask Snopes about it, if they are as true as you say. I may have to ask you what words to use to ask them since they often don't give me anything but I sure will play a game if you want to.
Provide an example why you KNOW snopes can't be trusted. Go ahead. And... "Glenn Beck said so" won't make for a good excuse.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
You can tell people truth all day long, but when they categorically refuse to think about or consider any viewpoint other than their own, that's when you realize it's just not worth it. Too many people are afraid of everything that's outside their box.
A lesson I learned from a salacious, heretical, neo-Muslim and violent book my parents made me read once.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

/nerdgasm

Old 09-01-2011, 11:39 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yep, FactCheck are leftist propagandists.

But Seriously: Fact Checking Factcheck.org
Thanks for posting that link. You reminded me that when information is full of spelling errors that also diminishes its credibility, at least for me. Heaven knows I mispell things sometimes and am a a terrible typist, but if you're going to present yourself as an authoritative source, doing spell check isn't too much to ask.

Quote:
I really think that Algore screwed up and made some not serious claims to having been more involved than we all know he was. Oh well, Algore's name stays in front of us lately so we can't forget his other very serious lack of truth.
No doubt he exaggerated his role, he is after all a politician. But he never said he "invented" the internet, as so many right wingers keep repeating in an effort to make someone believe he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies