Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:40 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,752 times

Advertisements

There have been numerous news stories of late about private citizens who have tried to or successfully filmed law enforcement officials in the performance of their duties. In most instances the people filming (or trying to) have been told that it is against the law and the filming must stop immediately or those doing the filming are subject to arrest. Apparently that ain't so!

Prison Planet.com » Appeals Court Rules It Is Not Illegal To Film Police

Unfortunately very few citizens know the law sufficiently to be able to stand up to a law enforcement official and dispute the mandate to cease filming. We depend on the cops (or lawyers) to tell us what is and is not legal but in this instance we have been getting very bad and very wrong information. So America, film away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 09:05 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
It doesn't matter if you live an a "one-party" State or a "two-party" State, it has always been permissible to record criminal activity.

Police are performing a public duty, and therefore have neither a right nor an expectation of privacy. Courts have repeatedly said that as well.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:16 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Note that this is the opinion of the First Circuit Courts of Appeals, which means that it applies to Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts. It does not apply to the rest of the country, although I imagine that the other courts may adopt the First Circuit's reasoning. Of course, if some circuits rule otherwise, that is when it may end up in the Supreme Court.

Court Locator

Link showing the circuits

Old 09-01-2011, 09:37 AM

521 posts, read 1,151,184 times
They are about to pass a law also, in the state of Connecticut that it will be legal to do so.
Considering how often people's civil rights are violated by many cops in our country, I think that's a good idea.
Your civil rights are this: The right to life, liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. Of course, you cannot violate other laws to do so, but you do have Civil Rights in the United States.
I'm amazed that cops, which are supposed to be upholding the law, not breaking it, are often taught or think they are above the law and CAN violate folks civil rights!
They need to pass this law nation-wide, imho.
Did anyone read about the lady in Quartize, Arizona, Jennifer Jones, I think her name was.
She was speaking up at a public meeting at the town council and was hauled physically and abusively out of the meeting by a couple of police officers, who injured her shoulder doing so!
And she wasn't screaming or yelling or swearing at anyone in the town council meeting. She was merely complaining about the way the town was running things, which is ALSO a right of our constitutional rights in our country!

Old 09-04-2011, 02:10 AM

30 posts, read 49,259 times
It is interesting that probably the greatest asset to the civil rights movement was the film footage of police treatment of protesters, such as spraying blacks with fire hoses. It is amazing that anyone, liberal or conservative, would want for police actions to be covered up. (Except for bad police, of course.)

A few months ago in Maryland, a motorcyclist filmed a police officer in plan clothes run up and point a gun at him. In this case, the cyclist was simply speeding, and it was obviously an embarrassment to the police.

After he posted the incident on U-Tube, the police charged him under a wiretapping law, and so far their prosecution has stuck. So basically they want to sentence this guy to several years in prison simply for making them look bad.

There should be special laws spelled out to protect this kind of free speech. I am glad to hear that in some cases they are doing that.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:27 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
They are about to pass a law also, in the state of Connecticut that it will be legal to do so.
Considering how often people's civil rights are violated by many cops in our country, I think that's a good idea.
Your civil rights are this: The right to life, liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. Of course, you cannot violate other laws to do so, but you do have Civil Rights in the United States.
I'm amazed that cops, which are supposed to be upholding the law, not breaking it, are often taught or think they are above the law and CAN violate folks civil rights!
They need to pass this law nation-wide, imho.
Did anyone read about the lady in Quartize, Arizona, Jennifer Jones, I think her name was.
She was speaking up at a public meeting at the town council and was hauled physically and abusively out of the meeting by a couple of police officers, who injured her shoulder doing so!
And she wasn't screaming or yelling or swearing at anyone in the town council meeting. She was merely complaining about the way the town was running things, which is ALSO a right of our constitutional rights in our country!
Nice rant. Problem is, YOU nor just about anyone else, really even know what "their rights" are. TV isn't reality.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:36 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
There have been numerous news stories of late about private citizens who have tried to or successfully filmed law enforcement officials in the performance of their duties. In most instances the people filming (or trying to) have been told that it is against the law and the filming must stop immediately or those doing the filming are subject to arrest. Apparently that ain't so!

Prison Planet.com » Appeals Court Rules It Is Not Illegal To Film Police

Unfortunately very few citizens know the law sufficiently to be able to stand up to a law enforcement official and dispute the mandate to cease filming. We depend on the cops (or lawyers) to tell us what is and is not legal but in this instance we have been getting very bad and very wrong information. So America, film away!
While it may not be illegal, that doesnt mean that you wont be arrested for it, and then have to spend lots of money on lawyers to try and get the case dismissed or be acquitted.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:21 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times
From taking still photos at various protests etc. I know police don't want their picture taken and will give me that stern look and tell me to stop, although at arrests at the White House of protesters I never have been told to stop but they do give you that look

Last edited by ted08721; 09-04-2011 at 07:31 AM..

Old 09-04-2011, 07:26 AM

Old 09-04-2011, 07:29 AM

I even got that look from the police photographer

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies