Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 07:32 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
The Leftists today are no different than the Loyalists prior to and during the American Revolution. They accused the Revolutionaries "You are destroying the economy"...lol
That post makes no sense. The 'leftists,' whoever they are -- because unionism is far from leftism, want the workers to have a say in their wages, benefits and safety. The other side wants corporations and billionaires to have total control and use American workers as if they were commodities, like fuel and metal, to make productive output. It requires twisting facts and logic into a pretzel to associate that with Tories during the American Revolution.

The issue isn't 'destroying the economy' but merely basic fairness. Do we want to return to a Dickens world when workers had no rights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 09:18 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That post makes no sense. The 'leftists,' whoever they are -- because unionism is far from leftism, want the workers to have a say in their wages, benefits and safety. The other side wants corporations and billionaires to have total control and use American workers as if they were commodities, like fuel and metal, to make productive output.

The issue isn't 'destroying the economy' but merely basic fairness. Do we want to return to a Dickens world when workers had no rights?
I don't support unions all that much, but I also don't want to go back to the era of child labor. The simple fact is that unions are usually made up of people who want the least amount of work but the most pay they can muster. It all comes down to greed on both sides: Unions want more without the risk, the shareholders/owners want it all because they are taking the risk.

I see both sides of the argument, and both sides are wrong and right to an extent. Unions don't understand that the more they take, the less there is for the owner/shareholders. This is seen by future business owners and shareholders and they decide it isn't worth the risk to start a business. Easier just to be a low level union worker punching a time clock: Good benefits, less risk. On the flip side, I don't understand the upper class business owners and shareholders. If we have a country that is 90% lower middle class and poor, what kind of society are the rich leaving to their own kids? What kind of world is it going to be when the rich have to ride around in bullet proof vehicles given all the crime, drug use, etc. (and thus danger of criminal acts) that come with such a society?

Old 09-04-2011, 09:25 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
I don't support unions all that much, but I also don't want to go back to the era of child labor. The simple fact is that unions are usually made up of people who want the least amount of work but the most pay they can muster. It all comes down to greed on both sides: Unions want more without the risk, the shareholders/owners want it all because they are taking the risk.

I see both sides of the argument, and both sides are wrong and right to an extent. Unions don't understand that the more they take, the less there is for the owner/shareholders. This is seen by future business owners and shareholders and they decide it isn't worth the risk to start a business. Easier just to be a low level union worker punching a time clock: Good benefits, less risk. On the flip side, I don't understand the upper class business owners and shareholders. If we have a country that is 90% lower middle class and poor, what kind of society are the rich leaving to their own kids? What kind of world is it going to be when the rich have to ride around in bullet proof vehicles given all the crime, drug use, etc. (and thus danger of criminal acts) that come with such a society?
The Columbia, the rich all have helicopters because the risk of kidnapping on the roads is high.

While unions want the most for their members the owners want to squeeze the most labor and least pay out of workers. The problem has always been that management is always organized and without unions, labor is always disorganized, leaving management the natural advantage.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:39 AM

629 posts, read 771,642 times
Unions are for employees that have something to protect. There are good unions and bad unions. A good union is one made up of employees with skills that are hard to redplace. This gives them leverage at the bargaining table. Bad unions are the ones where the employees have no skills and are being carried by the legal definitions of labor laws that should be overturned.

A service worker in Las Vegas making beds has no bargaining leverage and is unionized for one purpose

Votes

Old 09-04-2011, 12:24 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
unions literally turned their backs on the workers when they embraced illegal immigration for more UNION DUES.

they became irrelevant through their own actions.

they also used their government lobbying connections to force regular americans to bail them out.

now they get no respect, and they deserve none.

Early in my career,the company I worked for hired at least 50% illegals.They knew it but never admitted it. as our union is closed shop......you have to be an employee BEFORE being a union member.So who the hell "embraced" illegal workers???
As to your uninformed assertion about government bailouts.........
Back in the 80's congress stole money from our retirement to help bail out social security.They were supposed to pay it back.they simply passed a law saying they did not have to. as a result our retirement was short,so we the employees had to pay more into it.That is what the republicans do for you.Our union had absolutely no influence in this matter.So much for union "power".Basically unions do what they can to help us but it is not much.you are hearing too much propaganda about unions having too much power. which is a lie.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:26 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,648,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
People are sick of watching Unions destroy business in America. The Unions can cry as loud as they want, but they are on the way out
This.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:10 AM

629 posts, read 771,642 times
As a machine operator for many years union membership was a condition of employment. You can not be hired unless you first joined the union. In fact I had to come up with a $100.00 membership fee before I ever earned one dollar on that job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Early in my career,the company I worked for hired at least 50% illegals.They knew it but never admitted it. as our union is closed shop......you have to be an employee BEFORE being a union member.So who the hell "embraced" illegal workers???
As to your uninformed assertion about government bailouts.........
Back in the 80's congress stole money from our retirement to help bail out social security.They were supposed to pay it back.they simply passed a law saying they did not have to. as a result our retirement was short,so we the employees had to pay more into it.That is what the republicans do for you.Our union had absolutely no influence in this matter.So much for union "power".Basically unions do what they can to help us but it is not much.you are hearing too much propaganda about unions having too much power. which is a lie.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:24 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
lol. Keep standing next to the supporters of cop killers at your next commie rally.
You want me to stand with those who would steal my pension? My health care?
I know who my enemy is, the GNP (Grover Norquist Party)

Don't try to hide behind me when they come for you

Old 09-05-2011, 08:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Liberals started attckigthe american dream i the mid 60's with their ever increasing wealth sharig that actually result in a widing income gap. They bascailly seetwo class ;the elite and everyoen else much. The elire holdpopwer because they hold control of the economy and dispurse it how they like. One only has to look at the most dependent to see they never have start to really benefit. Dependency leads to a decaying lifestyle toward russian and north koren. Lookig at north korea verus south korea is a study in both.Even euorpe leadership is now talkig about controllig governamnt spending by a balanced budget law.Big governamtn wants more and more power and we see that such power with the abilty to make law corrupts.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:06 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
It seems that this beautiful bit of crap was written by a UAW leader. They continue to attack the Tea Party and show what they are really made of, I think.

Union Bosses: TEA Party is Attacking the American Dream*|*Godfather Politics

Oh how the Union bosses forget, the TEA Party are working people, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies