Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 09:56 AM

13,624 posts, read 20,677,487 times

Advertisements

Good grief...

I think "Colored" was and is an obnoxious way to describe black people. I think the same about "People of Color." Were I in an African nation, it would be I who was colored.

One oddity- the black journalist/writer Stanley Crouch uses colored to describe himself and other black folks with no apparent irony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 10:19 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,271,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
He goes on to say that people who refer to themselves as African American are "ridiculously stupid"

Proud of Being ‘African-American’? Glenn Beck Says You’re ‘Ridiculously Stupid’ (http://yourblackworld.com/2011/09/01/proud-of-being-african-american-glenn-beck-says-youre-ridiculously-stupid/ - broken link)

“In South Africa, it's Black and colored. It's not a bad thing. Only here

Why does anyone pay any attention to this train wreck? Oh thats the reason

Old 09-02-2011, 10:26 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,420,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
when they take great offense to one term, yet have no problem with a basically identical term, it makes it very difficult to take their being offended very seriously.

what if white southerners decided that 'people with necks of red' was just fine, but had explosive hissy-fits when the term 'redneck' was used?
would that seem logical to you?
Again, you don't get to decide what's "identical" or not if the term is not in reference to you. That's up to the Black community and other racial minorities. If Black people and other racial minorities in general don't seem to find the words "colored" and "person of color" identical, then those two terms are not identical. If one day those terms describe you or me, then we'll get to have a say in whether those terms are offensive. Until then, it's not up to you or me to decide what's offensive and what's not.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:26 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,271,642 times
Ok here is a reason that it is not used here, is because WE ARE NOT IN FREAKIN SOUTH AFRICA! another reason is because using the word "colored" is reminder of the rape of our ancestors by their slavemasters and thus produced various hues of people of African descent in this country. This is basic history that crackhead Beck knows and wants to garner media attention from the ignorant

Old 09-02-2011, 10:30 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,543,541 times
So what? One word from one guy.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:33 AM

52,212 posts, read 33,980,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Again, you don't get to decide what's "identical" or not if the term is not in reference to you. That's up to the Black community and other racial minorities. If Black people and other racial minorities in general don't seem to find the words "colored" and "person of color" identical, then those two terms are not identical. If one day those terms describe you or me, then we'll get to have a say in whether those terms are offensive. Until then, it's not up to you or me to decide what's offensive and what's not.
..and it's up to me to form an opinion as to whether your decision to become outraged is based on anything even remotely akin to reality.

please answer the redneck question

Old 09-02-2011, 10:37 AM

146 posts, read 88,602 times
Amazing, page after page of personal and venomous attacks on a person who the left has Alinskyized. Didn't your president tell you people to tone it down? The only hate rhetoric I see, day after day, comes from liberals.

Last edited by ex-cal; 09-02-2011 at 11:33 AM..

Old 09-02-2011, 10:39 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,420,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
..and it's up to me to form an opinion as to whether your decision to become outraged is based on anything even remotely akin to reality.

please answer the redneck question
Whoops, sorry, missed that the first time around.

I would respect their choice. I already do that with blind/deaf people whose preferences personally grate on my skin. But I respect their preference. "Necks of red" would sound silly to me. Then again, "visually-impaired" sounds not only silly but completely offensive to me. As much as I hate the term, my friends who like to be referred to as visually-impaired get called visually-impaired by me. As in, if someone asks me if my friend can see or not, I will reply "my friend is visually-impaired," even though I would sooner die than refer to myself as "visually-impaired."

Again, it comes down to basic respect. If white Southerners by and large wanted to be called "people with necks of red," I would call them just that. By the way, I know white Southerners who take offense to the term "redneck" so I make a point not to use it with them.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:46 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,144,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
I checked the NAACP website. They claim to be an advocacy group for all minorities, hence that explains not changing the name to NAABP. It seems that the NAACP uses the term "colored" for anyone who is not white.

So I'll shut up about the NAACP now.

on their website they say they are an advocate for all people of color. but in reality it is different. a friend of mine from south africa who is black, has stated to me that the naacp is only there for themselves and african americans, and that anyone else is just fodder not to be talked to.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:52 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,298,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
It's up to the Black community to decide what's offensive and what's not.
Exactly. Yet another thing people of color are in charge of which becomes a cluster f%^$. The familiar pattern ...

"Colored" is evil, "people of color" is honorable? LOL!

You may not realize it, but your cogent and incisive arguments are just highlighting the comedy of the situation. You're showing just how perverted our intelligentsia have become on social issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies