Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 09:53 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
So, do you have any suggestions as to what you think they should call themselves?
*Note* My ancestors on my fathers side came into the US 8 generations ago, we as a family still define ourselves as German-Americans.
Believe it or not, during the Colonial period some people(Ben Franklin for example)did not consider Germans to be "white".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 09:54 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I know white Southerners who take offense to the term "redneck" so I make a point not to use it with them.
That is because most white Southerners are not rednecks. The true rednecks are usually proud of the term.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:55 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Whatever. Let him say what he wants. Take his advice if you want to.

Just make damn sure that you don't refer to me as colored or it's gonna be a major problem. If other blacks don't care, then that's their business. I do, and i'm not having it.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:56 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Whatever. Let him say what he wants. Take his advice if you want to.

Just make damn sure that you don't refer to me as colored or it's gonna be a major problem. If other blacks don't care, then that's their business. I do, and i'm not having it.
so what you are saying is.. you have no idea what Beck said, but figured you would just make a comment about something you are clueless about?

Old 09-02-2011, 10:00 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Glenn Beck likes to push buttons to keep his name on everyone's mind.

For his huge ego ignoring him would be a fate worse than death.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:03 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
so what you are saying is.. you have no idea what Beck said, but figured you would just make a comment about something you are clueless about?
This was on the link:

Glenn Beck blasted the use of the term “African American†in favor of “black†and “colored†on his radio show on Tuesday.

"IN FAVOR OF BLACK AND COLORED"!

I didn't listen to his show. I simply read the link. I don't give a damn at the end of the day. People are free to take his advice and say colored if they so choose (assuming that he said that).

I'm just saying that i'll opt out of that myself and insist on being called black or African American. Colored is going to present a big ass problem pretty damn immediately after the word is uttered in reference to me.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:04 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Whoops, sorry, missed that the first time around.

I would respect their choice. I already do that with blind/deaf people whose preferences personally grate on my skin. But I respect their preference. "Necks of red" would sound silly to me. Then again, "visually-impaired" sounds not only silly but completely offensive to me. As much as I hate the term, my friends who like to be referred to as visually-impaired get called visually-impaired by me. As in, if someone asks me if my friend can see or not, I will reply "my friend is visually-impaired," even though I would sooner die than refer to myself as "visually-impaired."

Again, it comes down to basic respect. If white Southerners by and large wanted to be called "people with necks of red," I would call them just that. By the way, I know white Southerners who take offense to the term "redneck" so I make a point not to use it with them.
'it is, because i [they] say so' is pretty weak logic. and it puts you on a slippery slope. i know a couple of hardcore liberals that take offense at even being called American. under your rules of behavior, we should all avoid using that descriptor for fear one of the easily-offended might have their feelings hurt

Old 09-02-2011, 10:05 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-cal View Post
Amazing, page after page of personal and venomous attacks on a person who the left has Alinskyized. Didn't your president tell you people to tone it down? The only hate rhetoric I see, day after, comes from liberals.
well then you haven't visited this forum often enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Ditto, you call people by what they want to be called. Just common decency.
Which is why I'm amazed that this thread has reached 11 pages.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:58 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-cal View Post
Amazing, page after page of personal and venomous attacks on a person who the left has Alinskyized. Didn't your president tell you people to tone it down? The only hate rhetoric I see, day after day, comes from liberals.
You should get your eyes checked then.........assuming you have health insurance in this great country............

Old 09-02-2011, 10:59 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Exactly. Yet another thing people of color are in charge of which becomes a cluster f%^$. The familiar pattern ...

"Colored" is evil, "people of color" is honorable? LOL!

You may not realize it, but your cogent and incisive arguments are just highlighting the comedy of the situation. You're showing just how perverted our intelligentsia have become on social issues.
Wonderfully tolerant of you. Must be a conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies