Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 05:11 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-cal View Post
How about intelligently addressing my comment rather than be silly? FWIW, I'm Caucasian, not "white".

And what's with the internet bravado and threats, desertdetroiter? You one of those internet tough guy/bullies? Can you not have a conversation without making threats and pumping your chest out (anonymously) online?
Sorry. This thread needed a little humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
call me black.. is not defining me in terms of whiteness. What is wrong with excepting me as an American who happens to be black?
I know. That's why the terms I listed didn't include Black. And that's what I like about the terms Black, African-American, and American. Unlike colored, of color, and non-white, they don't define Black people in terms of whiteness.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:14 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I know. That's why the terms I listed didn't include Black. And that's what I like about the terms Black and African-American. Unlike colored, of color, and non-white, they don't define Black people in terms of whiteness.
But, African-American does say, you are not a regular american like the white people, so there for it is defining in terms of white.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
But, African-American does say, you are not a regular american like the white people, so there for it is defining in terms of white.
I edited my post and added American after you replied. IMO, African-American doesn't define in terms of whiteness any more than Mexican-American, Jamaican-American, or Asian-American do. The Blackness is associated with the African ancestry, not the hyphenated Americanness. It's the Mexican-, Jamaican-, or Asian- parts of those hyphenated American terms that cause people to think race in their head. But French-American, Italian-American, etc. also conjure up images of race--in those cases, whiteness.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Russian-American does say you are not a regular American as well and it conjures up images of whiteness but I don't feel it defines me in terms of whiteness. I sometimes call myself Russian-American (less and less these days because I really don't like to associate myself with Russia.) I respect how you feel about it. I feel differently. I can also understand if you don't want to specify your African-Americanness and just want to call yourself American. I do the same. But I don't think that hyphenating American defines us in terms of race because American comes in all races.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I edited my post and added American after you replied. IMO, African-American doesn't define in terms of whiteness any more than Mexican-American, Jamaican-American, or Asian-American do. The Blackness is associated with the African ancestry, not the hyphenated Americanness. It's the Mexican-, Jamaican-, or Asian- parts of those hyphenated American terms that cause people to think race in their head. But French-American, Italian-American, etc. also conjure up images of race--in those cases, whiteness.
Well, to me it does, and I find it extremely racist when people dont consider me an American. When they consider me an African American, but the whites get to be called just an American, it is nothing but a way to say, you are not white, so you can not get the privilege of being just an American.

You know as well as I do, most white people do not call themselves hyphenated americans.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:21 PM

Oops I just realized I quoted the same thing twice.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Russian-American does say you are not a regular American as well and it conjures up images of whiteness but I don't feel it defines me in terms of whiteness. I sometimes call myself Russian-American (less and less these days because I really don't like to associate myself with Russia.) I respect how you feel about it. I feel differently. I can also understand if you don't want to specify your African-Americanness and just want to call yourself American. I do the same. But I don't think that hyphenating American defines us in terms of race because American comes in all races.
unless you are dual citizenship with Russia and America, then you are not russian american.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Well, to me it does, and I find it extremely racist when people dont consider me an American. When they consider me an African American, but the whites get to be called just an American, it is nothing but a way to say, you are not white, so you can not get the privilege of being just an American.

You know as well as I do, most white people do not call themselves hyphenated americans.
I think Black people should be able to call themselves American just as much as white people. And if that's what you want to be called, that's what I'll call you. I know a lot of Black people that want to be called African-American, because they want to emphasize they have a different culture from White America. And I respect that too. I agree it's sad that to many English speakers ears, whites sort of have dibs on the word "American." When most people hear "American", they think "white". But I think the only way to start changing that is to call yourself American and encourage other Black people to call themselves American. The way I see it, though, American already includes Black people and people of all races. IMO, that's part of what makes America America.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:24 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:

And neither do most Blacks. The African American stigma is a term mostly used by the media and Politicians. We use Black and you know it. As I've stated before, its up to the individual how they define themselves. I don't know anyone that use the term African American except when their filling out some form of paperwork that use that label.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies