Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 12:03 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Oh they never told my SIL she had to have an abortion or be fired, no one is that stupid. They fired her on her job performance but she knew better because it was after she got pregnant.

So she gathered all the files she needed, went to a lawyer and they proved she wasn't fired for the reason they said. The job performances they pointed out could not have been her job performances----all of them were make AFTER she was laid off. They were even too stupid to know when she was not there. She won the case hands down.

You think this doesn't happen---then you are naive.

As for the poor woman from Thailand I worked with, well you need to take my word for it. She was poor and stuck like most poor women but we mostly don't care about them anyway----huh?

Side note----I just attended the wedding of my SIL's daughter, the one she was expected to abort and didn't. She is a happy wife now with a daughter of her own. Bless you SIL!!!
Your word isn't really high on my list of reliable sources. Peronsal stories where the names have been changed (or hidden) to protect the innocent are 100% meaningless in debate. I'm am 100% positive, however, there is more to both of your stoies than we will ever know...things that don't play into the "forced abortion" idea. Cherry picking is a national pasttime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 12:12 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
What does that mean? Surely the "moral component" is highly dependant on each individual woman's beliefs?

The point is that most pro-life supporters are against abortion because they believe in saving every life.......unless it's a damaged child languishing in foster care. That is the glaring double standard. Is life precious, or is some more precious than others?
To your first comment, if you are saying that each woman needs to work out for herself her decision, then I agree with you and that is why I am pro-choice. I don't want to try to get inside each woman's heart and head and figure out if she's really making the right moral choice and I certainly don't want a government committee appointed to do that! But if you are saying that morality is dependent upon a woman's beliefs, no, I don't agree with that. If that were true, then we shouldn't prosecute some murderers, because some percentage of them don't think they did anything wrong . . . The reality is that in giving everyone free choice, some are going to make the wrong moral choice. That's just the way life is, and that's the way abortion is.

To your second point, I hear you. I think the prolifers' approach is that they just want to get the lives born, and then whatever happens to them after that is God's will somehow. I don't agree with that at all.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:24 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,135,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Your word isn't really high on my list of reliable sources. Peronsal stories where the names have been changed (or hidden) to protect the innocent are 100% meaningless in debate. I'm am 100% positive, however, there is more to both of your stoies than we will ever know...things that don't play into the "forced abortion" idea. Cherry picking is a national pasttime.
Agreed. Coming back and completely changing your original story doesn't do much for the credibility either.

Sorry, OP, you've lost your case.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:39 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
When adopting a baby you cannot predict the life the child will have, the physical, emotion, or intellectual capacities or limitiations.

I will repeat my point again. Most people who oppose abortion do so as they believe all life is sacred, even embryos. And yet, apparently, children languishing in the foster care system do not garner as much respect, devotion, or outrage as embryos. That is my point.
I always wonder the same. Many of the people who so adamantly defend a fetus's right to life seem to forget about that fetus's rights once it becomes a baby and then a toddler and then a child and then an adult.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:51 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
But if you are saying that morality is dependent upon a woman's beliefs, no, I don't agree with that. If that were true, then we shouldn't prosecute some murderers, because some percentage of them don't think they did anything wrong . . . The reality is that in giving everyone free choice, some are going to make the wrong moral choice. That's just the way life is, and that's the way abortion is.
Well I was talking about morality within the bounds of the law. I'm not sure what you mean by wrong moral choice. Wrong for whom, and using what criteria?

Old 09-04-2011, 12:53 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
To your second point, I hear you. I think the prolifers' approach is that they just want to get the lives born, and then whatever happens to them after that is God's will somehow. I don't agree with that at all.

Also--just wanted to let you know I totally agree your rep comment.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post

Also--just wanted to let you know I totally agree your rep comment.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Well I was talking about morality within the bounds of the law. I'm not sure what you mean by wrong moral choice. Wrong for whom, and using what criteria?
Well this again is going off topic, but can't you think of some situations where abortion would be immoral? Is it okay to abort a male fetus, just because he is a male? (I had a coworker who hated men and told all of us pointblank, with no shame or reservation, that if the u/s had shown a male she would have aborted her pregnancy!) What about women who practice serial abortion because they just can't get it together to use contraception reliably?

Is there no objective moral weight to the decision? Do you really believe that morality all comes down to whatever an individual feels?

Old 09-04-2011, 01:27 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
So don't believe me. Go to the site I posted. It's not my site---debate with others, others who have had it happen to them.

I could give you my SILs name and you could look up the case but it was a settlement and never went to trial so it may be hard to find or see. Plus there is a privacy element on both sides but we need to stop putting our heads in the sand. Many love to live that way---see no evil, it isn't there kind of thing.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:37 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I always wonder the same. Many of the people who so adamantly defend a fetus's right to life seem to forget about that fetus's rights once it becomes a baby and then a toddler and then a child and then an adult.
Those kind of comments make women get abortions. There are programs to help of all kinds. From birth to adulthood. Churches are helping all the time plus other places.

You are also assuming the woman is totally helpless. A lot of women who abort have good jobs and can afford to raise a child if they were allowed to have one. Many abort to keep their jobs, their man, their friends, etc, etc, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies