Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 01:46 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,307,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
So don't believe me. Go to the site I posted. It's not my site---debate with others, others who have had it happen to them.

I could give you my SILs name and you could look up the case but it was a settlement and never went to trial so it may be hard to find or see. Plus there is a privacy element on both sides but we need to stop putting our heads in the sand. Many love to live that way---see no evil, it isn't there kind of thing.
No one in this thread is denying that some women may feel like they were forced/coerced into having an abortion---about the same number, I'm guessing, as the women who feel they were coerced into bringing a pregnancy to term. But where I disagree with you is that these stories of "forced" abortions are not wide spread enough that they should be used to try to shape the laws regarding access to abortions. Women need to stand up for themselves, take responsibility for the relationships they get into and if they are accustom to letting the man in their lives make all the important decisions, then don't come crying to me afterwards if you don't like what he decides. Grow a pair..... Note, I'm not taking about teenagers whose parents may have pressured their daughters into an abortion. They are in another class and, frankly, if the parents feel their daughter is too young to raise a child (or deal with the guilt associated with adoption) who am I to say otherwise.

Quote:
Those kind of comments make women get abortions. There are programs to help of all kinds. From birth to adulthood. Churches are helping all the time plus other places.

You are also assuming the woman is totally helpless. A lot of women who abort have good jobs and can afford to raise a child if they were allowed to have one. Many abort to keep their jobs, their man, their friends, etc, etc, etc.
Give me a break! A woman who would terminate a pregnancy to keep her job, a man, her friends etc., needs to find a different job, a better quality man and better friends. She does not have to have an abortion against her will. She made the choice, took the easy way out to keep a job, a man or friends she'd be better off without if they can't support her legal right to decide. Like I said above these women need to grow a pair and quit blaming someone else because they regret the choices they made.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 09-04-2011 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 01:54 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,130,775 times
Quote:
You are also assuming the woman is totally helpless. A lot of women who abort have good jobs and can afford to raise a child if they were allowed to have one. Many abort to keep their jobs, their man, their friends, etc, etc, etc.
You are the one assuming women are helpless. If they choose to have an abortion so that their job is easier, they can keep their boyfriend, and so on, exactly how have they been forced?

Old 09-04-2011, 02:17 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,499,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
You are the one assuming women are helpless. If they choose to have an abortion so that their job is easier, they can keep their boyfriend, and so on, exactly how have they been forced?
They need the job and can't find another one, the boyfriend/husband beats them until they comply. Just look the the domestic abuse stats. Need anyone say more?

Old 09-04-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
They need the job and can't find another one, the boyfriend/husband beats them until they comply. Just look the the domestic abuse stats. Need anyone say more?
You're talking about the repercussions of an abusive relationship. To include this kind of thing in an abortion discussion makes about as much sense as saying we should restrict access to abortions because some women get their arms broken if they don't get one. Stop the abuse. Work with groups that deal in domestic abuse but don't try to twist abuse into an abortion issue. A "force abortion" under these circumstances is a symptom of a larger issue. You think this kind of thing didn't go on before abortion was legalized? It did and probably in a lot larger numbers than it does now, given the fact that beating your woman wasn't even against the law back when I was a kid.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:56 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,140,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I have a good friend who was adamantly Pro-Life for all twelve years that she was trying to get pregnant---the kind who would show up outside of abortion clients to harsh women going in. Once she gave birth, she got overwhelmed with parenthood and she started softening her views. Fast forward 30 years and now she is adamantly Pro-Choice. Even supported her daughter when she terminated an unwanted pregnancy. So, yes, I agree with you that a certain percentage of people in the Pro-Life movement ARE motivated by jealousy---they want the baby that others don't and sex has become a tedious means to an end for them, rather than a joyous thing to be shared by people who love each other.
""" they want the baby that others don't and sex has become a tedious means to an end for them, rather than a joyous thing to be shared by people who love each other"""

I think that's correct unless they're just plain nasty, bitter, control freaks with no life of their own....

....more likely they just don't get an sex at all...

Old 09-04-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You're talking about the repercussions of an abusive relationship. To include this kind of thing in an abortion discussion makes about as much sense as saying we should restrict access to abortions because some women get their arms broken if they don't get one. Stop the abuse. Work with groups that deal in domestic abuse but don't try to twist abuse into an abortion issue. A "force abortion" under these circumstances is a symptom of a larger issue. You think this kind of thing didn't go on before abortion was legalized? It did and probably in a lot larger numbers than it does now, given the fact that beating your woman wasn't even against the law back when I was a kid.
Abuse IS an abortion issue. Read the site I posted. Abuse did go on before abortion was legal but now it includes an abortion on top of it all.

Beating a woman wasn't against the law at one time and now forcing her to abort isn't against the law now. Look at how far society had come. GAG.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:15 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,176 times
Quote:
Those kind of comments make women get abortions. There are programs to help of all kinds. From birth to adulthood. Churches are helping all the time plus other places.

I'm not saying all women are helpless. But there is a much greater chance that a woman who doesn't want a baby will not be as good a parent. I'm not just talking about financial support. I'm talking about emotional support. Churches, welfare, and charities can't replace the emotional role of a parent. If a woman doesn't feel ready to have a child for whatever reason, or simply doesn't want to have a child, maybe it's best she doesn't parent a child. Children are very sensitive to when they are unwanted or unloved and a child will pick up on those feelings right away.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I'm not saying all women are helpless. But there is a much greater chance that a woman who doesn't want a baby will not be as good a parent. I'm not just talking about financial support. I'm talking about emotional support. Churches, welfare, and charities can't replace the emotional role of a parent. If a woman doesn't feel ready to have a child for whatever reason, or simply doesn't want to have a child, maybe it's best she doesn't parent a child. Children are very sensitive to when they are unwanted or unloved and a child will pick up on it right away.
You would be shocked by the amount of OOPS pregnancies and women who didn't want the child when they got pregnant but most settle down after the initial shock and are happy. And yes these are married women too.

Children have a way of coming on their schedule. No birth control is 100%.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Abuse IS an abortion issue. Read the site I posted. Abuse did go on before abortion was legal but now it includes an abortion on top of it all.

Beating a woman wasn't against the law at one time and now forcing her to abort isn't against the law now. Look at how far society had come. GAG.
No, you read my post where I told about a friend I had in high school who was forced into a back alley abortion by her father (who was also the father of her baby) before it was legal. The fact that abortion is legal has not made your so-called "forced abortions" anymore common than it was before Roe vs Wade. Human nature is human nature. Men beat their women back then. Men had sex with children and finding someone to preform an abortion, even though it was illegal, was not that hard to do.

And, tell that to my aunt whose husband was abusive that it wasn't against the law to beat a woman. It's only been in recent times when you could press charges against your husband for assault. Heck, you could even beat your kids not all that long ago and it was considered a family matter, not something you'd call the police over.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:44 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,047,723 times
Quote:
How many on here have had a forced abortion or knows someone who was forced to get an abortion?
I was not in any way coerced to abort my first pregnancy fifteen years ago. The fetus was anencephalic, and I was induced at just shy of 21 weeks gestation for the purpose of termination. While a tremendously sad event, I firmly believe abortion was the right course of action given the diagnosis. I had the love and support of my husband and family, but the decision was ultimately mine. I have no doubt they would have stood by me no matter how I had chosen to proceed.

My husband and I subsequently had two more children, who are perfectly healthy and who fill our lives with joy. I feel very fortunate to live in a time of effective prenatal diagnosis and abortion rights, access to which I support for all women.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 09-04-2011 at 05:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies