Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 03:57 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
If those industries cannot do business without further polluting the air, contaminating water, etc. then they deserve to be bankrupted.
Are you aiming that statement at the coal generation plants that have had to close their operations down because they can't get up to the regs soon enough (Jan 1, 2012) or at some other businesses. I would like to invite you to move to certain parts of Texas or Mass. so you can be cold in winter and hot in summer since they will have to ration electricity. Also, do you know that much of the power in manufacturing plants is electric? Lisa Jackson doesn't know those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/03/sc...er=rss&emc=rss

Get this people? In a time of severe recession, you want BILLIONS more cost for business and ultimately for the consumer?
Few from the tree hugging left have any idea that increasing business costs will result in them having to pay more for what they buy. It is amazing how slow they really are on the uptake.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Yes, let's permit big business to pollute the hell out of every square inch of soil, water and air....in this country. Let's turn all of it into toxic wasteland!

That's a tremendous idea! No, no....it's not just tremendous...it's Pure Genius!! WoooHooooo! Big win for big business, Big Win for Republicans! WooooHoooooo!

What a country full of dopes.
What kind of tree is it that you hug all the time.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:35 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Are you aiming that statement at the coal generation plants that have had to close their operations down because they can't get up to the regs soon enough (Jan 1, 2012) or at some other businesses. I would like to invite you to move to certain parts of Texas or Mass. so you can be cold in winter and hot in summer since they will have to ration electricity. Also, do you know that much of the power in manufacturing plants is electric? Lisa Jackson doesn't know those things.
Wait a minute. I'm supposed to care because businesses in certain states didn't make any effort to curb pollution, something they should be doing all the time? I'm supposed to LET them be wasteful and destructive? I'm supposed to pity their poor business decision? Well, if people didn't read their mortgage contracts and are now underwater on their houses or can't afford their growing payments because of their stupidity, shouldn't I have that same emotion when a corporation fails to address its concerns or see the writing on the wall?

Why do conservatives have such a double standard? It's crap when the tax money goes to people in over their heads, but it's OK for corporations to get a break at our expense, at our cough-cough, hack-hack large expense? Why do conservatives show more compassion for business than they do their human neighbors? In other words, referencing a book about conservative thought in the heartland, What's the Matter With Kansas?

Old 09-02-2011, 05:44 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Wait a minute. I'm supposed to care because businesses in certain states didn't make any effort to curb pollution, something they should be doing all the time? I'm supposed to LET them be wasteful and destructive? I'm supposed to pity their poor business decision? Well, if people didn't read their mortgage contracts and are now underwater on their houses or can't afford their growing payments because of their stupidity, shouldn't I have that same emotion when a corporation fails to address its concerns or see the writing on the wall?

Why do conservatives have such a double standard? It's crap when the tax money goes to people in over their heads, but it's OK for corporations to get a break at our expense, at our cough-cough, hack-hack large expense? Why do conservatives show more compassion for business than they do their human neighbors? In other words, referencing a book about conservative thought in the heartland, What's the Matter With Kansas?
Therein lies the rub...of why this country cannot get out of this mess caused by big corporations and big banks. The putz's that gain absolutely no benefit from defending them, act and vote as if they are not part of the general populace that these entities are crapping all over.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:51 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Where did state that I was the one with the breathing problem? Further proof of "if it is not affecting "me" who cares syndrome.

Unlike many, I have empathy for others. Look up the defintion of the word.
You have emptahy for people who dont exist because I've been all over this nation, and I find almost every area relatively clean. Maybe you can sight me some areas not in violation of EPA regulations with dirty air so the rest of us can help catch up to your imagination.
Quote:
The entire nation has clean air with the exception of NYC?
Not what I said but yes, most of the nation which is in compliance with current EPA regulations has pretty clean air.
Quote:
BTW...Bloomberg has been a major force and advoacate for "Green" energy.
Dont care.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:04 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You "don't give an ef" how much it costs to run a business because you don't run a business. That's a pretty convenient opinion to hold, isn't it?
These same posters sit here and whine because companies take their business overseas..

Old 09-02-2011, 06:16 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
Wow, the clown may be incredibly slow on the uptake but it seems he does have some limited capacity to learn! Either that or the teleprompter told him to do it.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:34 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Wow, the clown may be incredibly slow on the uptake but it seems he does have some limited capacity to learn! Either that or the teleprompter told him to do it.
September 2, 2011: President Obama gets his first clue...he is no longer a clue virgin.

I'm amazed, like you. Obama actually seems to have taken reality into account in formulating policy. I believe this is the first time; hopefully, he will increasingly become a reality-based president. Thank God the Republicans have pointed out the job-destroying impact of Obama administraton regulations so forcefully.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:36 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
I am wondering why Obama isn't pushing for stricter ozone regulation... From his previous stances and ideology, you think it is a given that a liberal "do it before they think about it".... I wonder what Obama is thinking or what he knows but isn't telling... a person does not simply do something this big for no reason at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies