Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 01:37 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Well thanks just the same but I'll stick to the real thing I have no problem with my meat coming from an animal.
Roadkill!

Old 09-02-2011, 02:12 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,596 times
They made somewhat of a similar engineering breakthrough about a year or two ago in terms of nearing perfection of TVP (textured vegetable protein). Specifically, they found a way to make the TVP have a texture very similar to real meat (i.e. striated), instead of it just being a homogenous glob, sort of like the way a ground up meat or chicken patty is from some fast food places.

Not the same as real meat, of course, but there's still going to be a market for TVP because some will still prefer it, and it's still better for long term food storage than real meat is.

The scientists were still in the stages of trying to perfect the process somewhat, and making the process suitable for commercial wide-scale production, so it still might take some time.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:08 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
They are doing this now at the Medical University of South Carolina.

Would you eat meat grown from embryonic cells in a lab?
Researchers at the Medical University of South Carolina hope so.
Scientists there have spent the past several years learning to grow "in vitro" or "cultured" meat. In other words, they grow the food without the rest of the animal.
Beginning in December, the team got a boost from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, which funded a project to eventually make the meat available for public consumption.
Here's how it works:

Scientists take a biopsy from an animal. They extract stem cells and add "growth serum" to multiply them. The compound binds together to form muscle and receives electric shocks to boost protein content. It's then ground, flavored and spiked with vitamins and other nutrients. The first samples from MUSC will look like "meat bars," researchers said.
In the coming months, Dr. Vladimir Mironov, from the Department of Regenerative Medicine and Cell Biology, will oversee the first clinical trial of "Charlem," short for "Charleston- engineered meat" at MUSC. He declined to release details of the trial.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:09 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
At what risk to the health of humanity.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-02-2011, 03:19 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Let the free market see if it is a success.
Just like tofu.

Once the government says that is all you can eat, that is the day I bare arms!

Old 09-02-2011, 03:25 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
I've had farmed raised turkey, and I've had wild turkey.

I'll take the natural stuff anyday.

The same will likely be that way with artifical meat. For one, right now its extremely expensive to make meat artificially. But once the price drops, its likely that cheap foods like McDonalds hamburgers and taco bell "special blend" will have man made meat in it.

I won't be buying any unless there is no other choice.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:34 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
At what risk to the health of humanity.

20yrsinBranson
I like how this is a risk to humanity, but the hormone-laden, antibiotic-ridden genetically effed up stuff we eat now is so much better.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:39 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Peta-ians rejoice!

MAASTRICHT, The Netherlands -- Scientists are on the verge of growing artificial meat in laboratories without the need for animal slaughter, according to a report cited Thursday by The Herald Sun -- with one expert predicting a stem cell sausage might be just six months away.
Researchers say the advent of "pain-free" meat produced from stem cells could save millions of animals from the abattoir and help the environment through substantially reduced energy, land and water use.

Dutch researcher Dr. Mark Post, of Maastricht University, predicts the first synthetic sausage could be just six months away.

"I'm hopeful we can have a hamburger in a year," he told New Scientist.

Slaughter-Free Stem Cell Meat Sausage Coming Soon - BlackListedNews.com
Slap on some Arby's Horsey Sauce and it probably
tastes edible I'm sure craving that stem cell
sausage

Old 09-03-2011, 11:12 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I like how this is a risk to humanity, but the hormone-laden, antibiotic-ridden genetically effed up stuff we eat now is so much better.
Not at all. But you don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater thinking that this is the solution. The solution is to alter the factory farming methods of meat production to make it healthy and sustainable.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-03-2011, 11:13 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Not at all. But you don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater thinking that this is the solution. The solution is to alter the factory farming methods of meat production to make it healthy and sustainable.

20yrsinBranson
And HUMANE.

That's important, too.

I have no argument with that. But if you can give me bioidentical meat (down to the molecule) without having to raise, abuse, and kill an animal, damn skippy I'm going to eat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies