U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2011, 03:06 PM

478 posts, read 640,814 times

Advertisements

Obama has to make the decision soon ..looks like it will be a go .

Do you prefer the friendly stuff from Canada or the bloody stuff from the mideast?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 03:15 PM

14,810 posts, read 14,003,153 times
Canada, of course, but I'd like to also be able to get more of our own oil out of the ground.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:18 PM

146 posts, read 71,168 times
Sniff, sniff, what's that I smell? Ahhhh, campaign season.

Of course, it will **** off the enviros even more but that's OK with Obama, they're simply pawns in his power game:

Keystone XL Pipeline | Friends of the Earth

Old 09-03-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-cal View Post
Sniff, sniff, what's that I smell? Ahhhh, campaign season.

Of course, it will **** off the enviros even more but that's OK with Obama, they're simply pawns in his power game:

Keystone XL Pipeline | Friends of the Earth
Thanks for the comedy link!

Old 09-03-2011, 03:34 PM

6,193 posts, read 4,565,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokes172 View Post
Obama has to make the decision soon ..looks like it will be a go .

Do you prefer the friendly stuff from Canada or the bloody stuff from the mideast?
Slam dunk mid east oil!

Why?

Two reasons:

There are no sheiks to bow to or kiss in Canada.

Soros is invested in South America (for now).

Old 09-03-2011, 08:59 PM

Awesome..glad to know that this is a non-issue in the US..it will be built as OB will rubber stamp it in November.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:40 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,415,034 times
The sole objection I have is that they want to run the pipeline over the Ogallala Aquifer, the major source of water for seven mainly agriculture-based states, my own included. Moreover, they want to run it over the Sandhills - a prehistoric drifting of sand from a prehistoric ocean. This is not impermeable rock, but a light and powdery sand that, if not retained by the prairie grasses, frequently is undercut by the Plains' winds, resulting in massive "blowouts" - holes and collapsed cliffs - in the sand hills. This sand is extremely porous and any leaks from the pipeline will sink rapidly down into the Aquifer, destroying one of the few potable resources for both agriculture and beef cattle in several states.

I am no 'greenpeace tree hugger' but this is poorly planned and if executed has the potential to destroy thousands of acres of crops as well as thousands of acres of pasture. The Canadian company has assured our state and all states involved that their construction will be of the highest quality and all leaks will be 'quickly addressed' - yet already we have found out that they will be using the thinnest steel available for the pipeline. There is a better, less threatening way to run the pipeline that doesn't cross the Sandhills and is safer for both people and the aquifer - but no one wants to hear about it; like most ignorant folk, people think that "there is no 'there' there" - nothing out here but a vast wasteland.

If you think that this is a "non-issue", you obviously haven't been reading Nebraska newspapers for the past year and a half. Never mind "not in my backyard!" - how about not on the plates of every American who wants a hamburger, steak, or an ear of corn now and then on their grill? Want to pay twice the price - if you can get it at all?

Old 09-03-2011, 09:43 PM

19,895 posts, read 14,228,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokes172 View Post
Like you really have a clue what you're talking about.

So, tell us, what exactly is coming through that pipeline?

You do realize it's coming out of Hardisty in Alberta, right?

So what does that tell you?

It's either WCS which is an heavy sour meaning you will get exactly ZERO gallons of gasoline out of it, or it is Light Sour Hardisty, which means you'll probably never see gasoline less than $3.00 gallon. It costs a lot of money to get the sulfur out.

But let's not get stupid. Where's the pipeline end? At a processing facility in Nebraska. Where's it go from there? Kansas and Oklahoma.

What's in Kansans? That would be Coffeyville LLC, NCRA and Frontier El Dorado.

How many gallons of gasoline do they produce a year? None.

If it's going to Oklahoma, who's there? That would be Sunoco, Valero, Sinclar, Wynnedwood and Conoco-Phillips.

How many gallons of gasoline do they produce each year?

Sinclair and Conoco manage to scrap up about 70,000 barrels. Since they happen to produce about 140,000 barrels of kerosene and 105,000 barrels of diesel, I'd say they're probably running heavy oil. 70,000 barrels of gasoline out of heavy oil is about 3 Million gallons (per day).

So your pipeline is nothing to get excited about.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:55 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,466,710 times
I'm completely opposed to this. The extraction process is despicably destructive. We are going to decimate our planet for a profit enjoyed by a few while the many are duped into thinking they will benefit. Business as usual at the end of times.

If Obama approves this, I might slip over to the dark side. I didn't vote for Obama (or McCain) and I won't vote for him in 2012. But don't even think I'm going to vote Republican!

Old 09-03-2011, 10:11 PM

21,536 posts, read 14,354,179 times
We're in a race to the bottom, with people standing in line cheering for oil company profits.

Oil companies are grateful for the Dumbing Down of America. The planet cannot withstand what we are doing to it, and the sheep cheering don't even care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies