Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 05:14 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I know where the arguments come from. They are flawed. I have info that refute everyone of them.

This proves that you lost the argument since you are asking for links. If I post the links, are you going to reside on my side of the argument? I don't think so.
Ha!

Asking for proof equates losing an argument? Our entire legal system must be one big sham then. Nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 05:16 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Companies in the last 40 years have seen increased profits. They should use some of that profit to increase wages, so there would be real economic growth.
Are you trying to say that in forty years they haven't increased wages? I can't buy that. That is absurd.

Besides, just because there are increased profits does not automatically mean there should be across the board wage increases.

Salaries and wages are based on merit, unless you are union, and then they depend on what the union demands from the employer.

In all the years I worked, prior to becoming self employed, I never had a problem getting a raise. I got a raise with every review I had, and they were usually decent increases. That is because I worked hard and did my job well. As evidence of that, when I was laid off (Honeywell had bought the company), I was hired by the former marketing manager, who had gone to another company.

That's the way it works.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:20 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Are you trying to say that in forty years they haven't increased wages? I can't buy that. That is absurd.

Besides, just because there are increased profits does not automatically mean there should be across the board wage increases.

Salaries and wages are based on merit, unless you are union, and then they depend on what the union demands from the employer.

In all the years I worked, prior to becoming self employed, I never had a problem getting a raise. I got a raise with every review I had, and they were usually decent increases. That is because I worked hard and did my job well. As evidence of that, when I was laid off (Honeywell had bought the company), I was hired by the former marketing manager, who had gone to another company.

That's the way it works.
They have, but middle America doesn't have the buying power they just had.

Read my comments above. Workers' productivity have grew over the years, yet they have not seen increases in their wages.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:36 PM

415 posts, read 615,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post

If people are not happy with their wages, they are free to find new jobs. When I worked in retail I busted my butt to do everything possible to help the small business owners I worked for, and then the larger corporations I worked for. In each instance I was rewarded with progressively higher hourly rates and also opportunities for over time.
I was raised to act the same. I've never been rewarded for any loyalty I've shown to any company I worked for. My reward for working like a dog at 16 at Mickey D's was being repeatedly given no hours to work for weeks in the hope I'd get the hint. And I worked all the time, came in when told to, worked overtime, was on time, and friendly to the customers. My reward was no work.

It got progressively worse from there. Give a corporation your loyalty, try your best, its never good enough, and on the street with you. More corporations need to DIE OUT in my opinion.

The days my grandparents lived through, where you can work hard for a company and given them your best and in return get something for it, are long, long gone.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:40 PM

It's funny how those who say wages are based on merits of one's work, but they never complain about bonuses to CEOs who do nothing but take the company down.

Ask them what they think about golden parachutes.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Well, that's your opinion.

I don't think companies should put profit over well being.
A company does not exist for the well being of it's employees. While a good employer will take care of their employees, by treating them well, and rewarding those deserving of raises, they are in business to produce something that somebody wants, and do so at a profit. They aren't in the welfare business.

Companies are always looking for good emplyees, and in order to get the best, they MUST treat them right, and offer competitive salaries and wages. No one is going to work for a company that doesn't. It's the "market" in action. Nobody buys a product that is junk either.

Quote:

The reason why you have been seeing a decline in customer service is because maybe people aren't happy with their wages. Don't you think? People aren't getting paid enough for the hours they work. People in the last 30 years have been working longer hours with flat wages.
Baloney!!!

Old 09-04-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
A company does not exist for the well being of it's employees. While a good employer will take care of their employees, by treating them well, and rewarding those deserving of raises, they are in business to produce something that somebody wants, and do so at a profit. They aren't in the welfare business.

Companies are always looking for good emplyees, and in order to get the best, they MUST treat them right, and offer competitive salaries and wages. No one is going to work for a company that doesn't. It's the "market" in action. Nobody buys a product that is junk either.

Baloney!!!
oh really?

I guess they don't want a good return in a healthy and happy workforce.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Employees are seeing more of their compensation received in health insurance benefits as the cost of medical treatment has soared due to government restricting supply and subsidizing demand.

Add to that liberal immigration policies that have lowered the wages of unskilled and semi-skilled workers in particular. There was a time when the Democratic Party was a friend of labor, not the welfare bum.

Look at the Dow, corporations have been doing a lousy job for a decade in fulfilling their primary purpose, increasing shareholder wealth. They aren't charity groups.
Is this a pro-union thread? Sounds like it. This all sounds like propaganda from SEIU or some other union.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:

Low-wage earners are less likely to get benefits. Furthermore, companies put 59% of their incomes to profits and 41% to compensations.
That would depend on the company, I think. Where are you getting these figures from?

Old 09-04-2011, 05:58 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
That would depend on the company, I think. Where are you getting these figures from?
I asked the same question and was told that asking for proof equates to losing the argument...dont hold your breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies