U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2011, 05:14 PM
 
6,871 posts, read 7,740,972 times
Reputation: 2971

Advertisements

There will never be a legit economic boom without increased wages for employees.

Why do you think wages are stagnated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2011, 05:18 PM
 
10,317 posts, read 5,435,041 times
Reputation: 3134
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
There will never be a legit economic boom without increased wages for employees.

Why do you think wages are stagnated?
So artificially inflating wages beyond their actual value to a company is a way to create economic growth?

Maybe another good idea would be to make lots of loans to people to buy houses they cant afford, think of all the new home owners we would have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 05:21 PM
 
Location: mancos
7,047 posts, read 6,184,550 times
Reputation: 4541
I just raised my wage another 5 bucks an hour last year.no stagnation here,and staying busy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 05:21 PM
 
6,871 posts, read 7,740,972 times
Reputation: 2971
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
So artificially inflating wages beyond their actual value to a company is a way to create economic growth?

Maybe another good idea would be to make lots of loans to people to buy houses they cant afford, think of all the new home owners we would have!
Companies in the last 40 years have seen increased profits. They should use some of that profit to increase wages, so there would be real economic growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 05:23 PM
 
26,807 posts, read 15,019,562 times
Reputation: 12600
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
There will never be a legit economic boom without increased wages for employees.

Why do you think wages are stagnated?
How many people do you employ?

I'm betting none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 05:25 PM
 
6,871 posts, read 7,740,972 times
Reputation: 2971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
How many people do you employ?

I'm betting none.

Stay on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 05:26 PM
 
26,807 posts, read 15,019,562 times
Reputation: 12600
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Stay on topic.
Stick to what you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 05:26 PM
 
10,317 posts, read 5,435,041 times
Reputation: 3134
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Companies in the last 40 years have seen increased profits. They should use some of that profit to increase wages, so there would be real economic growth.
Publicly traded companies have a legal obligation to return as much value to their stock holders as possible.

Privately held companies prefer to do things with their "extra" money that benefit them.

Neither of the two aforementioned types of entities are called "charities" so you probably see where I'm going here?

My own anecdotal evidence tells me that there are a good deal of employees at companies that I patronize that do not deserve higher wages. I've seen such a decline in customer service at many places that you have to wonder if many of the people out there are actually over paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 05:30 PM
 
6,871 posts, read 7,740,972 times
Reputation: 2971
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Publicly traded companies have a legal obligation to return as much value to their stock holders as possible.

Privately held companies prefer to do things with their "extra" money that benefit them.

Neither of the two aforementioned types of entities are called "charities" so you probably see where I'm going here?

My own anecdotal evidence tells me that there are a good deal of employees at companies that I patronize that do not deserve higher wages. I've seen such a decline in customer service at many places that you have to wonder if many of the people out there are actually over paid.
Well, that's your opinion.

I don't think companies should put profit over well being.



The reason why you have been seeing a decline in customer service is because maybe people aren't happy with their wages. Don't you think? People aren't getting paid enough for the hours they work. People in the last 30 years have been working longer hours with flat wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Houston
21,040 posts, read 10,671,750 times
Reputation: 8232
Employees are seeing more of their compensation received in health insurance benefits as the cost of medical treatment has soared due to government restricting supply and subsidizing demand.

Add to that liberal immigration policies that have lowered the wages of unskilled and semi-skilled workers in particular. There was a time when the Democratic Party was a friend of labor, not the welfare bum.

Look at the Dow, corporations have been doing a lousy job for a decade in fulfilling their primary purpose, increasing shareholder wealth. They aren't charity groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top