Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:31 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,805,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
When Republicans had a President at the helm, the country was in a free-fall as Bush's presidency and his administration deemed an utter failure. A Democrat was elected, but Republican obstructionism prevented him from solving the problems he was cursed with from the Bush years. In other words, when Republicans have their way, the country badly falters.

How can you Republicans expect to win the Presidency with such a dismal record going on 11 straight years now? Your candidates sound unqualified, extraordinarily simplistic, without substance, and idiotic.
Get a life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 10:31 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,529,393 times
Quote:
I say absolutely not. The GOP is misguided here. If a President is able to implement his policies with Congressional approval, and those policies fail, only then can he be considered a failure. Bush is an example of this.

But if a President is unable to implement his plans to help the country, because of Congressional opposition for instance, and the country falters, he cannot be considered a failure. His policies weren't given a chance to work.
In fact, the failure is not the fault of the President, but the fault of his opposition. Such is the case with President Obama.

I find the GOP position here to be completely baseless, and likely to crumble under the weight of heavy opposition campaigning. Absolutely absurd.

The people elect the idiots on Capital Hill. The people elected the obstruction for a reason, Mr. "I'm a dumbass" Obama!

Old 09-05-2011, 10:41 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,686,566 times
Quote:
I say absolutely not. The GOP is misguided here. If a President is able to implement his policies with Congressional approval, and those policies fail, only then can he be considered a failure. Bush is an example of this.

But if a President is unable to implement his plans to help the country, because of Congressional opposition for instance, and the country falters, he cannot be considered a failure. His policies weren't given a chance to work.
In fact, the failure is not the fault of the President, but the fault of his opposition. Such is the case with President Obama.

I find the GOP position here to be completely baseless, and likely to crumble under the weight of heavy opposition campaigning. Absolutely absurd.

When Obama took office, he focused largely on healthcare reform instead of creating jobs. When Americans are given the choice between jobs and additional expense for Obamacare, they will not choose to face additional taxes without being able to bring home income. That was a huge failure on his part.

The other failure is not having a spine to stick to his guns, no matter what ideology. He kept turning over for the Republicans. That's not what Americans want in a leader.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:42 AM

288 posts, read 349,254 times
A better question:

Can that failure be labeled a president?

Tb

Old 09-05-2011, 10:43 AM

23,684 posts, read 24,002,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaturaccioli View Post
a president -any president- has political opponents. If he fails to deliver he fails, period.
+1 ^^^

Old 09-05-2011, 10:45 AM

855 posts, read 1,170,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
1. The economy was fine until the democratic congress took control

2. Since the democratic congress took control four and a half years ago, the national debt has more than doubled

3. Under the first two years of Obama (with a democratic senate and congress), unemployment is up to over 9%, the national debt increased from $8.5 trillion to projected $16 trillion when Obama leaves office in 2013, and the economy is in the tank.

You had better hope, for the fiscal sake of the nation, that Obama and his democratic senate are removed in 2012. Why? It is our only chance at reducing corporate taxes and a balanced budget amendment. If the democrats maintain control of the white house and senate (very unlikely), there will be spending as usual and we will just be in a deeper hole.

how was the economy in good shape?? the housing market was speeding towards the edge of a cliff. what goes up must come down and the boom right before the dem. congress took over was getting ready to burst regardless of who was put in office

Old 09-05-2011, 10:47 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,122,884 times
The international economic climate is getting tenuous. If the national political agenda is to topple the President, regardless of the economic peril and danger that may occur, than the dysfunctional climate will continue and we will sink into a recession.

At this time I do not care about political agenda or idealogy. I care that we do all we can to avoid further hardship that will be the result in another ecomomic abyss that is threatening us right now.

Maybe some of you are economically stable enough to withstand another plunge, but the majority of the American people are not.

Therefore, in these uncertain times, it is incumbent for this country to do the right thing to avoid hurting lots of people. Doing the right thing does not continued infighting by both parties, only to fiddle the violin and see further economic erosion.

Is it possible to put differences aside now and unite to actually assist this country in getting back on its feet-----I doubt it. I never thought I would say that politicism and agenda would come first in this country before the vitality and stability of the nation----but yikes, it has come to that.

Look---whether your lean is ----conserv or lib---dem or repub-------get rid of personal feelings or idealogy and unite on one thing-----the health and stability of our nation.

debt reduction----heck yes
Job growth----heck yes
path to economic stability -----heck yes

If we answer yes to all the above, can we afford more foolish comedy by both parties. This is the time for sensible people from both parties to step forward and say-----enough already. I can only dream and wish I guess-----sad to say the country is drifting and too many of our so called leaders are only content to see the ashes.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:49 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,311,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
how was the economy in good shape?? the housing market was speeding towards the edge of a cliff. what goes up must come down and the boom right before the dem. congress took over was getting ready to burst regardless of who was put in office
The housing market may have been speeding to the cliff's edge, but it soared over the edge under democrat control. It was demwits like Barney Frank that made pronouncements that everything was peachy-dandy.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:49 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,092,597 times
Quote:

Spoken like a true Obamatron.

Are you forgetting that Obama had not only a democratic majority, but a super majority at the beginning of his tenure?

What did he accomplish? Oh yeah...you're right, he did get some stuff done:

Like an absurdly unwieldly and potentially inefficient healthcare plan that nobody wants or even understands.

Like giving almost a trillion dollars to the very same lending insitituions that were responsible for our current economic meltdown in the first place..

Like creating no jobs despite forking over this near-incomprehensible amount of money.

Like acting like a lickspittle whenever he spoke with Muslim leaders. He musta gone to the Neville Chamberlain school of foreign relations!

So I reckon you're right: it's all the GOP's fault.

Uhhh...that is, if you live in that fantasy place called "Obama Land."

Old 09-05-2011, 10:52 AM

521 posts, read 858,700 times
Obama has done not much differently than Bush other than Obamacare and anyone who says differently has not a clue about how Washington really works.

If all the Bush haters said he failed then they shouldn't have any problem saying Obama did as well. Just because their party held office for a few years doesn't automatically make it a success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies