Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 09:00 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,514,259 times

Advertisements

If I could pay 1.50 an hour and charge the customer 25.00 an hour I would be rich but my 1.50 an hour employee would live in a tent. If I could set in my mansion and look down at that spot of dirt that I rented to my employee to put his tent on and be happy I would be a neo con republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 09:04 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,420,600 times
God bless the unions and God bless the United States of America

If unions were ever abolished we'd go back to the 12 hour work day et al so fast it would frost your eyeballs

Old 09-06-2011, 09:07 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,099,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
If I could pay 1.50 an hour and charge the customer 25.00 an hour I would be rich but my 1.50 an hour employee would live in a tent. If I could set in my mansion and look down at that spot of dirt that I rented to my employee to put his tent on and be happy I would be a neo con republican.
Yes, and if all average working Americans made 1.50 an hour who could afford to be spending $25.00 an hour on anything? Wouldn't be many customers...... THAT is what the Repugs just don't get....

Old 09-06-2011, 09:18 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,379,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I suspect you don't understand unions and their function. A union has a legal obligation to represent the interests of the workers in the bargaining unit (yes, even nonmembers).

The simple fact is that as union membership has declined, pay and benefits for all workers, not just union members, has also declined. In addition, the decline of union membership has led to increasing disparities of income and wealth between the top quintile of the population and everyone else.

So yes, even though I'm not a union worker, I agree that unions have been responsible for much of the development of the American middle class, and the decline of unions is responsible for much of its destruction.
Your thinking is reversed from the way it actually is.

Diminishing domestic unions are the effect of the cause, globalization. They make your already uncompetitive work force even less competitive.

Unions leave you jobless, right to work has you getting paid but less than you think you deserve.

Only goons think being jobless and collecting "free" money is better than working and doing something with your life on this planet (this one chance you get) to keep things moving.

Otherwise you're just an extra loud and hungry mouth.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:46 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,618,268 times
I suggest requiring all the countries we give foreign aid to or defend unionize their workers and provide American wages and benefits. If we have global business we need global Unions.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:13 AM

23,229 posts, read 18,383,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Obama is current history and was paid 400 million to get there by government unions.
Jerry (moonbeam) Brown was placed in California as another example by government unions with over 150 million in spending.
Both are owned by big union.

Regarding the auto industry, pensions caused many of the now collapsed companies to stick an extra 5-6k on the sticker for past benefits before the cars were sold making them uncompetitive.

Unions have long been dirty since the mafia was there with people like the dead Hoffa and probably with the current one.
Please re-read "other than politicians".

Detroit has been hurt by foreign competition of which much is heavily unionized and still kicking our rear. They have pension and benefit obligations as well.

The last US automaker to go under was AMC in the 80s and that was due to having inferior products.

Name me one company that has gone under recently due to the unions. Most of the failed are in the financial sector which is non-union.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:24 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,874,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
I went to work but I'm not anti union at all. If it was not for unions this would truly be a terrible country. We work day and night and die at 40 which would suit republicans just fine.
the unions are almost irrelevant in this country now with the job situation the way it is, and that is why they are screaming their little heads off, like hoffa.

they WANT more power.

they WANT more members-why do you think they defend illegal immigrants and want them in the country? (hint, more union members equals more dues money for unions/hoffa).

the fiscal conservatives want EVERYONE to be able to work. they know that people aren't happy when they aren't working, when they cannot support their families----- and that everybody wants to be free and to be able to make the decisions on their OWN finances.

the problem isn't fiscal conservatives, but rather the GROWTH of big government-which is starving the private sector. look at the cost of new regulations that obama has proposed and republicans (at least they are good for something) are trying to stop:

Obama: 7 proposed regulations would each top $1B - Yahoo! Finance

this diverted money equals jobs that will not and cannot be created.

if anybody is interested in the actual statistics on the massive growth of government, grandfather report (mwhodges) has some amazing numbers assembled and graphs as well.

the bigger the government, the smaller the personal freedom-look around.

as our country continues to falter, do you feel good?

are you getting more rights? (TSA, patriot act, red light cameras, etc.), or are your rights starting to be diminished?

or how about hoffa advocating war on fellow citizens? what a loser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlbKaPdacLE

what kind of person does that?

Last edited by floridasandy; 09-06-2011 at 10:35 AM..

Old 09-06-2011, 10:37 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,601,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
A union has a legal obligation to represent the interests of the workers in the bargaining unit (yes, even nonmembers).
In practice, unions represent the union leaders and are a funnel to transfer union dues, which, because most unions now represent state and municipal workers, means transferring taxes from the people paying taxes to the Democrat Party.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:54 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,220,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI*TEA View Post
Yes, thank you unions.

I love working 3 jobs to pay our $13,000 tax bill.

Don't know what i'd do without you.
At least you are benefitting. As you said in another thread (Tobay), your wife is a teacher. (Unless you were kidding about that.)

Old 09-06-2011, 11:00 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,220,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
The INTERNET killed the PO. It's a relic of the past. Snail Mail. Email and even Ecards. Most people today even send in their tax forms ONLINE. Unless you are sending a package, when do you go to the PO anymore? It isn't the Union that killed it.

The libraries are rapidly heading down the same path. Not to get OT, but this is probably why we have so much unemployment. So many jobs have been eliminated, never to come back, and perhaps, never replaced with anything else.
More people are shopping online though, and the post office gets a share of those packages that go out.

I for one WAY prefer receiving packages USPS over UPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies