Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 03:05 PM

27,143 posts, read 15,318,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
First, a happy labor day to those that deserve it. For the the right wingers, why are you not protesting in the streets, refusing to take the day off, or marching down to your local police and/or fire department to call them lazy/greedy union bums that are sucking the country dry? Where are the calls to your congress person to revoke the holiday that is to honor those oh-so-evil *GASP!* labor union workers?

Enjoy the day off with your Life's Partner!

Old 09-05-2011, 03:32 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Lol, it called Labor Day, not union day. Of course conservatives work.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:38 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
First, a happy labor day to those that deserve it. For the the right wingers, why are you not protesting in the streets, refusing to take the day off, or marching down to your local police and/or fire department to call them lazy/greedy union bums that are sucking the country dry? Where are the calls to your congress person to revoke the holiday that is to honor those oh-so-evil *GASP!* labor union workers?
first, i hope you realize that not all workers are union workers.

that said, ALL workers contribute to the well-being of our country and deserve to be thanked one day a year.

speaking for myself, i am very happy to see americans employed and wish that there were more who could celebrate a day off from working.

i think rush limbaugh actually summed it up pretty good when he said this:
When one out of every five adults is struggling to survive in the greatest nation on the face of the earth, this is a disgrace.

When we can't produce a single job in the month of August, a GDP of 1%, the ChiComs are growing at 9.5%, the Cubans are outgrowing us, this is unacceptable. This is the greatest nation on the face of the earth. This is a disgrace, and it is a disgrace because none of this is necessary, none of it. Obama and the liberals like to talk about hostages. Let me tell you something. This nation is being held hostage by a small band of ideological radicals who have contempt for the American people and our economic system. Every single policy that pops out of this president's mouth, every single policy that pops out of his mind involves the federal government, federal control, federal spending, federal subsidies, federal this, and federal that.

Well, we are a nation of individuals; we are a nation of entrepreneurs; we are a nation of wealth creators; we are a nation of hard workers.

yes, we are! .

Old 09-05-2011, 03:45 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
first, i hope you realize that not all workers are union workers.

that said, ALL workers contribute to the well-being of our country and deserve to be thanked one day a year.

speaking for myself, i am very happy to see americans employed and wish that there were more who could celebrate a day off from working.

i think rush limbaugh actually summed it up pretty good when he said this:
When one out of every five adults is struggling to survive in the greatest nation on the face of the earth, this is a disgrace.

When we can't produce a single job in the month of August, a GDP of 1%, the ChiComs are growing at 9.5%, the Cubans are outgrowing us, this is unacceptable. This is the greatest nation on the face of the earth. This is a disgrace, and it is a disgrace because none of this is necessary, none of it. Obama and the liberals like to talk about hostages. Let me tell you something. This nation is being held hostage by a small band of ideological radicals who have contempt for the American people and our economic system. Every single policy that pops out of this president's mouth, every single policy that pops out of his mind involves the federal government, federal control, federal spending, federal subsidies, federal this, and federal that.

Well, we are a nation of individuals; we are a nation of entrepreneurs; we are a nation of wealth creators; we are a nation of hard workers.

yes, we are! .
Excellent post!!

I don't know why the Left has to continually think that conservatives don't work as hard as they do.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:49 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
The Right should have organized protests and rallies to bring down the workers' minimum wage and to reduce benefits. What happened? Maybe next year?

Old 09-05-2011, 03:59 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
I guess Labor Day might be a bit older than you think. Nobody told me in the 1930s that it was what you call it but back then I was becoming the same kind of left leaner you are today. I had accepted Labor Day for so long when I changed beliefs that I just never thought about complaining about it.

Speaking of which, today I saw All in the Family, you may know that that is a really funny show from the early 70s. Archie, the main character, who was a very strong supporter of Richard E. Nixon, (yes I know the middle initial was M) but Archie was supposed to be a stupid right winger and his son-in-law, Michael Stivic who Archie called Meathead, were in an argument about the upcoming election (1972) and their words sounded so much like they would be today except that today Meathead would have been arguing for Obama and Archie against Obama. It was just like a thread here not long ago said about FDR describing today's Republicans.

Are you old enough to know either of these situations and how they seemed to be so funny to me?

Old 09-05-2011, 04:04 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
This is a great question. The current Republican Party never met a working man it didn't hate. I guess they're too focused on abolishing the minimum wage and social security to care much about Labor Day. Once they roll us back to the 18th century, they'll get around to getting rid of Labor Day too.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:04 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
By the way, for anyone who's curious about the history of labor day, check out this link. Interesting.

Labor Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good info. Now lets see a report of the Pullman Strike and the Haymarket Affair that was also mentioned in your link. Maybe having it from an unbiased historian, (not one from any union) about those two strikes. I believe that although I was a left leaner most of my teaching years I always saw different stories about those affairs. A number of lives were lost in the Pullman Strike and I never sympathized with those unions who were so ready to use destruction of employer territory to get their way.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:07 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
This is a great question. The current Republican Party never met a working man it didn't hate. I guess they're too focused on abolishing the minimum wage and social security to care much about Labor Day. Once they roll us back to the 18th century, they'll get around to getting rid of Labor Day too.
Complete and utter bull feces. More Left Wing propaganda that the Republican Party is against the productive worker.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:10 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Complete and utter bull feces. More Left Wing propaganda that the Republican Party is against the productive worker.
CB, oh so the Republican Party is for protecting high wages, pensions, social security and medicare benefits for productive workers? Please provide evidence because I need to start voting for them immediately. What I see them being for is the right of companies to off-shore jobs until American workers are willing to work for $3 an hour or so to be comptetitve with China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies