Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 12:42 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Not a very self-actualized dream. rather low on the scale of ambition IMO. Vacuous.

A mall does not equal quality of life...unless someone is 12 years old and hasnt ever seen one before.
Tell that to people in most of the world. They would love to go to a mall.

Maybe you should do some traveling outside the country for a wake up call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
So labor should never aspire to bettering itself? Keep them in their place, you mean?
Labor should fight for the workers but getting greedy only makes the employers go out of business. Sort of cutting off the nose to spite the face.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:52 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
what are "people in most of the world..."?? No need to be defensive. I have traveled, and other cultures are much less vacuous. What countries have you seen, ?.

careful, your provincial quaint american ideals are showing.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:27 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,168,984 times
Quote:
what are "people in most of the world..."?? No need to be defensive. I have traveled, and other cultures are much less vacuous. What countries have you seen, ?.

careful, your provincial quaint american ideals are showing.
That's a value judgement on your part. You may or may not be correct. BTW, germany was, arguably, the very best educated people in the world...........when they chose hitler. In point of fact while much of europe was choosing dictators to lead them the worst we, provincial americans, could do was FDR. You shouldn't short change us.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:37 PM

I am short changing no one. merely pointing out the fallacy most lower middle class americans gauge themselves with: buying crap sold in malls, made in korean and chinese factories.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:43 PM

995 posts, read 1,114,921 times
Quote:
I am short changing no one. merely pointing out the fallacy most lower middle class americans gauge themselves with: buying crap sold in malls, made in korean and chinese factories.
Most of the crap IN the malls is foreign-made. I'd be surprised if anymore than 10-15% of all shoes were NOT made in China. If we were to go to war with China, we'd be shoeless.
The merchandise that IS American-made is not affordable for a working-class family. So where shall we shop?

Old 09-05-2011, 03:37 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Tell that to people in most of the world. They would love to go to a mall.

Maybe you should do some traveling outside the country for a wake up call.
Maybe you mean like the Third World?
I wouldn't doubt that American malls are much better organized and stocked than the shopping facilities in Uganda.
It's unfortunate that the self-proclaimed greatest nation on earth has to compare itself with those on the bottom to feel good about itself. That merely shows a lack of ideals.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I wouldn't doubt that American malls are much better organized and stocked than the shopping facilities in Uganda.
It's unfortunate that the self-proclaimed greatest nation on earth has to compare itself with those on the bottom to feel good about itself. That merely shows a lack of ideals.
Yes, the "we arent Mexico, therefore America is great" talking point. I see nothing great about cheap materialism to fill a void. Americans do this more than other cultures.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Go to England and see how small the houses are compared to homes here. Stay in a hotel and see what kind of closet room they give you. England, France and other European countries are not bottom of the barrel.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:01 PM

995 posts, read 1,114,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Labor should fight for the workers but getting greedy only makes the employers go out of business. Sort of cutting off the nose to spite the face.
One person's greed is another person's just-getting-by.
Who decides?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies